Your favorite grab-n-go Marshall combo

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rick16v

Reaction score
These things are the case for some, maybe most players, but I have never found the shared gain and eq to be problem with the Jubilee. What works for one channel also works for the other-in my case. This isn't true for me with all amps.

Its a nice amp alright. For me it wasn't flexible enough to be my only amp. I like clean cleans and filthy dirt.

The amp did either but not both for me. I miss it a bit, one of those I'll probably rebuy one day.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A DSL doesn't sound vintage at all. Buy one if thats what you want.
The 20w Origin has better tone, especially with a good OD pedal.
I like the idea of having an Origin combo. It would be nice to have channel switching, though. For my tastes, I agree that the DSL is too modern sounding. Maybe the 2525C is the right way to go, it’s just a bit more expensive than I imagined for that kind of use. I don’t have issues with the shared gain and tone, BTW. I have a Slash signature and I get along fine with my clean having a little break-up.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I like the idea of having an Origin combo. It would be nice to have channel switching, though. For my tastes, I agree that the DSL is too modern sounding. Maybe the 2525C is the right way to go, it’s just a bit more expensive than I imagined for that kind of use. I don’t have issues with the shared gain and tone, BTW. I have a Slash signature and I get along fine with my clean having a little break-up.
Jubilee is modern sounding in a way too. Lots of thick gain amd very responsive EQ. Can get more vintage I spose with proper settings but a DSL on Crunch channel does too.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jubilee is modern sounding in a way too. Lots of thick gain amd very responsive EQ. Can get more vintage I spose with proper settings but a DSL on Crunch channel does too.
I wouldn’t say it’s modern like the DSL ultra channel. There’s a certain sponginess to the Jube’s lead tone that modern amps don’t have. IMO. That said, I do love the crunch mode of the DSL, I just wish you could footswitch between the clean and crunch.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
And I forgot to mention. If I'm going to a known "ROCK" jam, my +/- 50 watt JTM30, with a JohnH attenuator will cover any volume reuirement! It's also a bit smaller and lighter than my DSL40CR and even it's worst sound is far superior to the best of the DSL40CR! A lttle less versatile, but..........! It didn't used to be a grab n go, as the otiginal Heritage speaker sounded hideous and pretty much relegated the amp to use as just a head. The Creamback/65 has recently changed all that!
Just Sayin'
Gene

IMG_0554.jpeg

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say it’s modern like the DSL ultra channel. There’s a certain sponginess to the Jube’s lead tone that modern amps don’t have. IMO. That said, I do love the crunch mode of the DSL, I just wish you could footswitch between the clean and crunch.
True. Tone being very subjective. Modern in 1987!
The 40CR lets you foot switch between modes.
Probably not the best guy to chime in if you are after vintage tones. I am a more modern tones guy.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. Tone being very subjective. Modern in 1987!
The 40CR lets you foot switch between modes.
Probably not the best guy to chime in if you are after vintage tones. I am a more modern tones guy.
“Vintage” and “modern” are tricky terms these days, because there are so many decades of guitar tone at this point. I’m not really trying to sound like older Clapton or Peter Green. But “modern” to me means djent, played by guys who feel at home with a 6505 driven by a TS9. I just need something more gutsy and organic. My playing gets about as modern as Mastodon.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
And I forgot to mention. If I'm going to a known "ROCK" jam, my +/- 50 watt JTM30, with a JohnH attenuator will cover any volume reuirement! It's also a bit smaller and lighter than my DSL40CR and even it's worst sound is far superior to the best of the DSL40CR! A lttle less versatile, but..........! It didn't used to be a grab n go, as the otiginal Heritage speaker sounded hideous and pretty much relegated the amp to use as just a head. The Creamback/65 has recently changed all that!
Just Sayin'
Gene

View attachment 86445
Looks like you should've been fending off the DSL brigade on my thread today about looking for a 3rd string amp, DSL 40 or JTM 30. https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...shall-today-dsls-or-jtms.119329/#post-2102715

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Looks like you should've been fending off the DSL brigade on my thread today about looking for a 3rd string amp, DSL 40 or JTM 30. https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...shall-today-dsls-or-jtms.119329/#post-2102715

Well I'm gonna make a statement, with a caveat. "Both the DSL20CR and the JTM30 (both with speaker upgrades) blow the DSL40CR out of the water, in regards to pure tone, sensitivity and dynamics, even when the DSL40CR has also had a speaker upgrade!" The "caveat" here is that the DSL20 needs to be run with the CLASSIC GAIN channel's gain and volume cranked and the JTM30 with the NORMAL channel and MASTER volumes cranked and be able to either get away with that kind of volume or attenuate them with a great attenuator, like the @JohnH designed unit! And it's not that the other channels of these amps aren't also useful, just that the settings mentioned set the volume range that they operate the best at. As far as getting a really acceptable and fairly forgiving sound (but not as good as the JTM30 or DSL20) that can have the volume tamed within the amp itself, the DSL40CR wins, hands down!

I speak from experience as I actually own all three of these amps and love each one for it's own unique reasons. With that said, the DSL40CR is going up for sale, now that I have the liberation provided by JohnH's amazing attenuators! And though I've not yet mentioned it (as this thread is based on "Your favorite grab-n-go Marshall combo"), but my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe gets as much, if not more use as all the the others combined! And for most intents and purposes, it's kind of a "baby" Marshall in many ways! With its added passive effects loop and 13-14 watts, it's often a perfect volume with only a little or no attenuation required!

Just My Take On It All!
Gene

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
Marshall JMD 1 50 watt combo lots of tones to pick 16 preamps 4 channels or save 28 presets master volume, and onboard effects. If you have to "grab and go" you may need a few choices of clean or lots of JVM style level of gain its all there.
One cord, One amp, One Guitar and go.............. I would replace the stock speaker

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
“Vintage” and “modern” are tricky terms these days, because there are so many decades of guitar tone at this point. I’m not really trying to sound like older Clapton or Peter Green. But “modern” to me means djent, played by guys who feel at home with a 6505 driven by a TS9. I just need something more gutsy and organic. My playing gets about as modern as Mastodon.
Good point! Well 80s hair metal to some modern hard rock is my era and I love my Jubilee. Depends what you wanna get outta it.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Marshall JMD 1 50 watt combo lots of tones to pick 16 preamps 4 channels or save 28 presets master volume, and onboard effects. If you have to "grab and go" you may need a few choices of clean or lots of JVM style level of gain its all there.
One cord, One amp, One Guitar and go.............. I would replace the stock speaker

Its an excellent amp but it weighs north of 60 lbs. It's also bulky. It has side handles but its a two person job in practice. (the side handles are there for a reason)

I would also replace the speaker unless you like the late model G12T-75. It's identical in design to the 75.

dptone5

Reaction score
I wanted a grab and go combo and I chose the Jubilee 2525c. Greenbacks are my favorite speaker and the flexibility, responsive tone controls, plenty of gain, a nice sounding clean and FX loop made it the best choice.

I own a Jubilee 2555, 2203x and 1987XL. The Jubilee combo is a great representation of a big Marshall head in a small package. Couldn’t be happier.

I convinced a friend who has some terrific Fender and Vox combo amps that he needed a Marshall to round out his collection. He decided to get the 2525c for the reasons I gave above.

Guess what? He wasn’t a Marshall guy originally, but now, it’s the amp he plays the most, by far.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
My favorite grab and go Marshall is my jcm800 4010 combo. It’s a phenomenal amp with a lot of power and tone and can pound with a 412 because it’s a 2204 in a combo package.

My favorite non Marshall combo is a 18 watt TMB clone kit amp. That thing is absolutely ferocious for metal with a guvnor and tubescreamer. It’s unholy loud and has a very similar deep pulverizing metal tone very reminiscent of my JMP 2203 through a 412. Tone it down and you got SRV, Hendrix, ZZ Top, AC/DC etc. I love both amps.

Last edited:

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I have a DSL15c.........stock they are over the top gain wise............ but I did the Ultra channel mods and put a Heritage G12 65 in and rolled tubes and Im pretty pleased with it......its curbed my post JCM800 forced sale depression.......for now:rolleyes:

jaguarcat311

Reaction score
I need another amp like a hole in my head, but I’m thinking my next acquisition will be a small lightweight combo that I can use for impromptu jams or maybe even auditions (one day, when things get better). What do you use for this? What do you suggest?

I think I’d like something with a master volume so I can get a certain amount of drive at various volume levels. I’ve been looking for an old 4203 Artist, but maybe that’s not the best bet for what I want. What do you all think?

I'm really happy with the origin 20 combo i bought a couple years back. 5/10/20 watt switch is great