Your favorite High gain amps under $1000(used value counts)

• Thread starter mike mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
the XXX can be a great amp...OR a shit amp. It's all in the EQ man. you have those mids lower than 3 oclock on the crunch and leads and you're asking for thin fiz. and we know people do that so that's probably part of it.

to me, once dialed in it sounded like a Marshall on metal. if dialed in wrong it sounded like a broken transistor radio.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Peavey 5150
ENGL Fireball 60 (Average used price is less than $800)
VHT Deliverance 60 (easy to score for less than $900)
Marshall JCM900 SL-X

The Peavey XXX is ok and it does sound decent with KT77 power tubes. I cannot stand an amp without a presence knob though. I grew tired of mine pretty quickly...

TX-Joe

Reaction score
I forgot about the JSX when I lumped all Peaveys into my discussion....I meant to say, "All Peaveys EXCEPT the JSX." haha I tried one and didn't like it either. They do have an overly buzzy quality about them.

I also forgot about Bugeras...Say what you will, but the 6260/6262/333XL s are the best sounding amps in that price range for metal. My best friend uses a 333XL and we can dial in some vicious tones with it.

I am still sticking with the Randall RM100 as THE amp though; I really wish some more guys on here would try one just so I don't sound crazy!

I have to agree with you on the Bugera, specifically the 333XL.

I mainly play my 5150III and own a '79 2204 but I recently picked up a Bugera 333XL for $400 off of CL. It was just a couple of months old too.

I bought it without ever having heard one simply as an inexpensive backup. I was shocked at how good this thing actually sounds.
I have heard about issues with the Bugera line and stuff but I took a chance and so far so good.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
Epiphone So-Cal 50h and Valve Jr. Head are unquestionably the best deals ever on tube heads. GC in Indy has a Valve Jr. Head for $84 now..

thetragichero

Reaction score
i got a peavey rockmaster preamp and peavy power amp (one channel, 4 6l6s... not sure which one) and you can dial in pretty much any tone you want from rock to metal
add a 2-button marshall footswitch with a trs plug and you can go from clean/dirty and gain/ultra
i think i spent less than 500$ between the two of them on fleabay

Ascension

Reaction score
Fender Prosonic!!
Bruce Zinky designed flamethrowers I have owned a number of these including a one off 120 watt head that Zinky Handbuilt and gave to Brad Whitford. SCREAMING metal BEASTS!!!
Sitting around the house and noodeling on my old Adat with my Prosonic head
http://www.box.net/shared/luoytg2qso

AlisterHag

Reaction score
I've had a few I've liked a lot. My faves:

1. Peavey VTM 60 or 120. (these suckers are downright nasty!)

2. Sovtek mig's (maybe not high gain, but are great with the right pedal in front)

JayCM800

Reaction score
This i can't answer, if i had a $1000 i'd still be looking for the best used Marshall i could find.

But, i'd also consider a cheap 5150, 6505, or Rectifier kind of metalhead amp if the price were too good to pass up.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
This i can't answer, if i had a $1000 i'd still be looking for the best used Marshall i could find.

But, i'd also consider a cheap 5150, 6505, or Rectifier kind of metalhead amp if the price were too good to pass up.
If one spent 1000$ you could easily find a JCM 900 or DSl or tsl head at the least...

Grenade

Reaction score
I am still sticking with the Randall RM100 as THE amp though; I really wish some more guys on here would try one just so I don't sound crazy![/QUOTE]
Dude I always loved the sound of my Randall till I thought there was something better, I found it ,it's a DIME.:headbanger:Oh yeah $600 new with a 4x12 cab , SWEET. Life is good.

Murmel

Reaction score
Engl E-530 Pre-Amp.

Connect it to the effects return and turn any amp with a loop into a high gain monster.

Joey Voltage

Reaction score
Laney gh100l, and ampeg vl501( when the filament molex connectors dont melt)

The laney is my "go to bitch". I know exactly what to expect

Dave666

Reaction score
Peavey 5150/6505
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Marshall JCM800 2210

And this: cheap ass little thing that sounds like Entombed!!!!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7oROJyQ9ws[/ame]

I bought one for 250...
Btw, stay away from those Dark Terror, those sound harsh in comparison with the Tiny Terror

kromekrush

Reaction score
Ok I just wanted to lend my two cents. The problems with the Bugera amps that existed in 2008 have largely been corrected. There were often some faulty pins and so forth in the head. The new Bugera are quite reliable in my experience. I have a 333XL and have kicked the crap out of it and its always come back for more. It sounds vicious but cleans up beautifully. I will also agree that the Dime Blacktooth sounds freakin' awesome and is also built to take an asswhoopin'. Both great amps. Please dont let the sins of the past haunt ya too much. Buy with your ears. Bugera is vogue to hate right now but like any new system there were some bugs and they have fixed them. The newer reviews are quite good.

gdh1532

Reaction score
There are a lot of great amps that are not marshalls for under 1000. Hughes and Kettner switchblade 50. Some different Mesa Boogies, lots of fender amps (some can be modded to become awesome sounding amps). peavey has a few. Randall has some. I have a ada mp1 through a modded peavey 60/60 that's gets great sound.
If you look long enough you could come across an old vox for under 1000.00
I think bogner makes some amps that sell for under 1000.00 used.

80s Guy

Reaction score
Peavey XXX
Peavey 6505+
Crate Blue Vodoo
Marshall DSL 50

I currently own the 2 Peaveys mentioned and feel they are awesome. I bought the 6505+ new with a slight blemish for $850, new they run around $1149. It has performed flawlessly for around a year and a half. The XXX I got used for only $300 with fresh tubes and a bias mod. Sounds as good as the 6505+ with a better clean!
Have a friend that has an older Blue Vodoo and it rocks! Close to a Marshall dsl but is a little thin sounding. I used to own a mint used Marshall Dsl 50. It is the best of all out of the bunch that I have owned or played. The best clean, high gain without the feedback of the Peaveys, although I wanted a more aggressive tone and probably should of tried a tube screamer in front as I later learned works wonders. Oh well, if I come across another nice used one, I will gladly add it back to my arsenal.