Your first guitar rig.

• Thread starter anitoli
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Chambers

Reaction score
I have that guitar out back ,that I need to rebulid. That pickup, Gibson p-13 is killer
Rural Mississippi probably aint much different .......

You know what they say about Mississippi. :drunk:
I like your recent uploads Al......:cheers:

What's ironic about my Harmony is all of the hardware is branded authentic Gibson. :D

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's ironic about my Harmony is all of the hardware is branded authentic Gibson. :D

There was a lotta parts exchange going on with the Chicago guitar industry in the 40s n 50s. I had a Wards mandolin that was a Gibson .There's some Nationals out there that have Gibson ES-175 and J-50 bodies

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Christmas 1978. Folks had access to instruments through their drug store, strangely. Thankfully they picked a Goya L6-S copy. 24 fret, thin neck, fast, so playable esp for a noobie. Still one of my faves and I even found a genuine 1975 L6-S to go with it.
Amp was a univox Stage 65, terrible little 20 watt thing.
A couple years later graduated to a Traynor TS200 with matching 9x8 cab. Can't recall what it sounded like.
Ultimately got a white 2203 half stack in 1983 new and never looked back.
2 old amps are stock pics.

BSJgIiW.jpg

W4HssuC.jpg

iqCkDAI.jpg

lzekaeF.jpg

jefleppard65

Reaction score
sears amp (worst trem in history) and an El Degas LP custom (bolt on) circa 1979. like someone above posted, a year later mom got me a EHX muff fuzz (2"x3" super small and shorted out often bec no insulation) and life would never be the same. velour was also a factor.
104287909_10156878802696612_1757944316159437967_n.jpg

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Odessa electric. Wine red. Beautiful guitar. Think Les Paul, but double cutaway. Early 80's, I think it was like $200 new.

I'd give anything to see it, or even a picture of it, or even a picture of something similar to it, again.

First amp was a Peavey Bandit 65. Early 80's, like '82 or so.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
I wish I had pictures of my first rig. It was a black Memphis Strat copy into a Peavey Rage 158. Eventually I added an Arion Metal Master Distortion Pedal. I spent a lot of time in my room around age 11 with that little setup.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
So what did you have? LP Custom, 1959 or something else?
I came into the guitar world from the bottom up. Living under crushing, oppressive poverty forced me to become very resourceful while being a royally cheap cock. This first rig was a total $15 investment, $15 for the ax, $0 for the reel to reel. I was a dumpster diver in my youth.

full

full

Plug in crank up the record, deal with the 1/2 second delay and you were there. The strings were so high you could have used it for a crossbow but hey there was ZERO string buzz so my tone was cleaner than a virgin's...you get the point.

So later that year i had an economic boom. Harvest showed up and i picked potatoes for a fuckin month. After my overlord mom made me spend 98% of my profit on shit i didn't want such as underwear i still had enough cash to move into the big time. A quick trip to the pawn shop i scored these:

full

full

Total rip off for that day, $30. Once i started playing this pro grade gear i knew it wouldn't be long before i got laid. Tone was incredible. I read somewhere in Guitar player that i made Blackmore so nervous so he did an interview and totally dissed my ass first. Ruined my career he did. :D
Nice!!!! Wollensak t 1500 reel to reel.....i found one a month ago at an antiques shop for $10..... Salvaged a Raytheon BP 12ax7 out of it....was gonna make a guitar amp out of it but the circuit is to weird and I said screw it....but I stack pedals in front of it stock and a 1x10 cab for late nite practice.

Anyhow my 1st rig was a teisco Much like yours cept no tremolo and one pickup and a floral print on the pickguard. I got from my friends stepdad For $15 and plugged into a sound design AM/ FM receiver I had cause it had a 1/4" aux jack.

Last edited:

Wildeman

Reaction score
Extremely poor (family of seven) growing up in rural Arkansas. Imagine what that is like folks. :facepalm:

My grandma gave me this '58 Harmony for Christmas '76.
View attachment 79897
............didn't get an amp (of my own) until circa 1981. :drunk:
Mine was the same one! A hand me down Harmony, somebody swiped the P13 though.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice!!!! Wollensak t 1500 reel to reel.....i found one a month ago at an antiques shop for $10..... Salvaged a Raytheon BP 12ax7 out of it....was gonna make a guitar amp out of it but the circuit is to weird and I said screw it....but I stack pedals in front of it stock and a 1x10 cab for late nite practice.

Anyhow my 1st rig was a teisco Much like yours cept no tremolo and one pickup and a floral print on the pickguard. I got from my friends stepdad For $15 and plugged into a sound design AM/ FM receiver I had cause it had a 1/4" aux jack.
Sounds like the same Teisco I got in 1971, but pops splurged and bought me a Alamo amp with about a 5” speaker in it, it had 2 small tubes in it and a volume knob.
I thought I was Mark Farner !!
Cheers

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christmas 1978. Folks had access to instruments through their drug store, strangely. Thankfully they picked a Goya L6-S copy. 24 fret, thin neck, fast, so playable esp for a noobie. Still one of my faves and I even found a genuine 1975 L6-S to go with it.
Amp was a univox Stage 65, terrible little 20 watt thing.
A couple years later graduated to a Traynor TS200 with matching 9x8 cab. Can't recall what it sounded like.
Ultimately got a white 2203 half stack in 1983 new and never looked back.
2 old amps are stock pics.

BSJgIiW.jpg

W4HssuC.jpg

iqCkDAI.jpg

lzekaeF.jpg

One of my high school buddies had a TS200 full stack ......that's EIGHTEEN EIGHTS !!! He never sounded too good with that thing . I never fiddled with it though .I DID immortalize him in song . He drove his mom's Pontiac Ventura with that stack in there . I changed the car in the lyric to "Rollin up in a Maverick ,half stack in the back " .....because it rhymed with "Cowbell on a rack ":lol:

Last edited: