Your first Marshall amp

• Thread starter konrad gibson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

twitchylizard

Reaction score
My first was a Marshall DSL 50 with a 1960AV bottom...I havent gotten another one yet

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Someone must have found this topic interesting to fetch it from so far back. Anyhow, mine was an '83 JCM800 2203 white tolex, Canadian version with silver toggles instead of rocker switches. Sold it to my friend who's still in my band so I see it sometimes... then an '87 silver Jubilee 2558 combo which I traded for a TSL122. Shoulda kept it for kicks...

wanky

Reaction score
avt50 combo

sounded like total shit. sounded so bad i couldn't tell whether the tone was muddy or harsh sometimes. couldn't hear what i was playing most of the times. the speaker sounded like it was farting alot too.

sorry Jim, it wasn't worthy of your name.

if ur looking for it has an etched out crass sticker on it from my punk rock days and some glued on guitar picks.

my first real marshall is my 6100. other real marshalls have come and gone, but that one is special. my 6100LM w/ 5881s and DSL50 were good amps but just didn't have the magic this one got. at any lower volume its just any ordinary multi-channel amp, but when its cranked past 3 something magic happens

the one other marshall had that magic for me was the DSL401, but it had to be cranked louder than my 6100 to get the sound amount of gain i wanted.

i don't think it's the power section is exactly distorting on the 6100, but i think its the bandwidth changing as the volume gets cranked. others amps have sounded harsh or muddy, this one sounded like good blend of sweetness and brutality depending on what you were playing. had an energetic bounce when you palmuted, a satisfying crunch. with all the bells an whistles it was also a very fun amp to mess with.

the 6100LM had a good old school metallica thrash tone, but sounded a little thiner and harsher when cranked in comparison. The DSL50 lacked the tightness of the 6100s, and got muddy if you used a satisfying amount of gain. the JVM does for me at every volume, so its gonna be my next marsh.

richieG

Reaction score
My first amp was a 2204 combo 2 x 12. I am not sure what the exact model is.

Like a gimp I sold it because it only has one channel.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Marshall jcm800 2204 1/2 stack in 1981.
my redneck dad told me he'd buy me the amp if i cut my hair.
sure Dad, the hair will grow back but the amp will rock straight away.:naughty:
i also got sick & started missing a lot of school right about then.:hmm:

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
I got my first Marshall on my 15th birthday... Micro Stack with silver tolex. I thought I was pretty badass:rock:

hamstercaster

Reaction score
AVT50 combo... Contrary to Wanky, I think that it actually doesn't sound too bad at all once you have played with the EQ to dial in a tone that you like. I took me some fiddling around with it before I got to that and if I change rooms in the house, I have to start all over again lol. So far so good, I like it and who knows, I may one day upgrade to an all tube Marshall.. who knows. I'm a bedroom guitarist with no aspiration whatsoever to play in a band or anything so it may not be necessary to upgrade unless this one craps out on me.

Slap

Reaction score
Had a JCM800 half-stack in my late teens(20 years ago).

Picked it up from some cracked-out chick that had an apartment near mine. Her old man had just been carted off to the pen for 5-10 years...she was hard-up for cash, and snagged it for $500.

Banged around on it like the dumb kid I was at the time, made some glorious noise...sold it to make a car payment/rent a month later. Still kicking myself in the ass....but will have another "limey air-raid siren" eventually.

bodhi2600

Reaction score
marshall 50 watt head (marshall 1987) and 8x10 marshall cab. purchased in 1971.
it rocked hard at a decent volume...
wish i still had it. later traded it in on a marshall 1959 100 watt head and 2 marshall 4x12 cabs. wish i still had all of them...
now i'm using a marshall jtm45 reissue and a marshall 1960tv cab.
that is one sweet rig too! i won't be getting rid of it any time soon.
probably never...
:hippie:

80s dude

Artist 3203 bought new in Jan '88. A red one. Sold it to help finance my '75 LP Deluxe (which I still have) in '94. Liked it enough to buy another 2 years ago. New one's black.

ddaxe

Reaction score
My 1 st Marshall was and still is my 87 Silver Jub 2555 I have since paired it with another 1/2 stack.. and the 2 of them sounds totally awesome together hence the reason I don't get GAS.... well not too often...

Madaxeman

Reaction score
My first Marshall was a VS102R. 2x12 combo which suited my needs at the time.
when I started gigging regularly it had to go.
The next Marshall I got was a JCM900 Dual Reverb combo, soon flipped that for a JMP combo. Then I got a 2558, Pretty much had Jubes ever since -12no so far.
Got two 2553's right now.

110db

Reaction score
1981 2204 and 1960A with G12-65's purchased in 1981. Still have them.

Susihukkanen

Reaction score
My first is MG15, second MS-4, then DSL 401 and the latest not yet arrived Vintage Modern 2266 + 425A cabinet.