About fat caps in Marshalls

• Thread starter sdn25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sdn25

Reaction score
So I've been trying out mods listed from EVH's super lead, for now, the fat cap. The consensus from a couple forums is that the value he had in there was anywhere between 220 and 330uf. However, I tried a 330uf and it was a horrible, uncontrollable muddy mess yet in eddies recordings the tone is tight and punchy, which is far from what I was hearing with my fat cap. I went as low as 10 uF and that toned down the mud but still was too flubby, definitely more flub than Eddie had. So im thinking what maybe wrong here or am I just not meant for a fat cap? Did Eddie have the fat cap installed after the early Van Halen records?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Yes of course, it must have been the fa(r)tcap
that made the sound so brown.

:shrug:

JfcknC man. A standard 1959/87 or 2203/04 turned up loud is the EVH sound, no fartcaps, no 92.5volt varia(r)cing will do, simply turn up teh volumes.

Do we have to discuss this crap again and again
and again until we're all grey on the heads?!?

sdn25

Reaction score
Yes of course, it must have been the fa(r)tcap
that made the sound so brown.

:shrug:

JfcknC man. A standard 1959/87 or 2203/04 turned up loud is the EVH sound, no fartcaps, no 92.5volt varia(r)cing will do, simply turn up teh volumes.

Do we have to discuss this crap again and again
and again until we're all grey on the heads?!?
I did some more research and saw he had the fat cap later on, late 80s I believe. I already get the evh sound because I use it LOUD, I just wanted to see whether the fat cap really did enhance it or something but nope it doesn't.

cheers.