Am I getting old?

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
To the OP: No, it does not mean your are getting old. Don't over think it. Listen to what you like. Play what you like.

...I also hate the dipshits in the crowd that go to metal shows. I will not go to metal concerts anymore. Maybe I am just getting too old, but I don't want to go to a show and get shoved around by a bunch of shirtless sweaty dudes that want to act all tough in a mosh pit. No thanks. It's just not my idea of fun anymore.

Reminds me of my youth going to punk shows (though I was never really a punker myself).
You could just stand back and pick out the guys there just to get in a fight in the mosh pit...basically as soon as the band started. lol. How is that fun?

..I still don't trust people who wear suits, the overtly religious, rich people in general, politicians, the list goes on. I try to avoid most get togethers with people from my past who have become upwardly mobile, drive expensive cars, and have 'perfect' families (we all know that hell begins at home). I don't fit in with that crowd, never have, and when I speak they are not really sure about how to take me...
That's pretty much true for me too. I can get along with most people just fine but I don't relate to earthlings at all.

houseofrock

Reaction score
You know you can play metal on a Les Paul. You can play pop on a pointy guitar. I do get your point.
I struggle with a lot with new metal artist, but I haven't given up on the genre. Pop in it's various forms doesn't interest me at all. (c)Rap doesn't do it for me. Neither does country (except for Johny Cash ). Some blues is good but most of it sounds the same. Jazz I struggle with because I don't understand it, though I haven't given up trying. I love most classical composers, though not all. Rock and roll, most of my guitar heroes were pre-1985. Modern rock is too pop influenced for me. Metal is as diverse as it gets. It is not singularly minded. Things evolve or it becomes sterile. From traditional metal to speed/thrash to death metal to symphonic to grunge, Doom/Stoner metal, pirate metal, folk metal, grove metal, black metal. There is a lot to digest. Music in Europe is different than it is here in the states. Australia, Greece, South America, Canada, Russia, Africa, and yes even Asia all bring something different to the genre we call Heavy Metal. In the end we all like what we like, very subjective.
( stepping off my soap box now )

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
First off, 29 is but a wee lad.
Second, I think it goes in cycles.
I started with what is now classic 70s rock which was top 40 at the time. Triumph, Cheap Trick etc. Then the 80s hit and hair metal was ot.
Still do all of that. Always lkked bluesy stuff so got into SRV etc. Still played mainly 80s and hair metal.
I have come full circle but also add some modern flavors in there. Just no modern cookie monster metal or thrash.
58 and I like to rock as hard as I can if not quite like when I was 22.
I just like to play the hell outta my guitar in whatever way I can.

This is 2001 when I was 38.
Still like to do it the same.
Especially near the end.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
At 68, I'm becoming an old fart in my playing.

I still admire and appreciate those fire breathing players but I've become more of a melodic player.

I appreciate "Over The Rainbow", as much as Ozzy's "Over The Mountain".

Remember, I'm over the hill not under it.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I've evolved over time. In my late 20's I started getting heavy into blues, then old school country, and rockabilly/psychobilly. Now I just play whatever I want when the mood strikes, be it rock, metal, punk, country, jazz, or whatever.

It's just natural for tastes to change - unless you're some kind of musical Peter Pan, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Hey @StrummerJoe I was into psychobilly for a while too, Mad Sin, DAG, and a Canadian band, The Brains, that you probably haven't heard of. Which psychobilly bands were you into? I still listen to it around Halloween!

upload_2021-6-18_14-23-58.jpeg

Old Punker

Reaction score
Broadening your palate doesn't mean you're getting old, it means you're maturing musically. I'm 51 and still love the metal of my youth (Priest, Maiden, Scorps, etc) just as much as I did when I was a teenager. But I also love a lot of things now that the teenaged me would have scoffed at. Hell, I even like a few country songs...

Old Punker

Reaction score
I'm 56 and I love 80s hair metal/butt rock as much as I ever did.

But I like more types of music now than I did back in the day. My horizons have broadened, and I've continued to love what I loved before. And to me, that's how it should be.

I still have an almost violent hatred for rap and (modern) country, though.

An example of the expansion of my tastes:

First, I'm a big fan of Bill Evans. And an even bigger fan of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays. (Actually I think I liked Lyle's contributions more than Pat's.)

Second...what you are about to hear is an IMPROVISATION. Lyle played this as he created it, on the spur of the moment. Unplanned, spontaneous, recorded in one take...and it's an incredibly mature and deep composition. I am in awe of the kind of musical mind that can pull this off.

"I still have an almost violent hatred for rap"

I always said this too but I did realize that I don't mind when rap meets heavy rock, especially where the rock part dominates:

:lalala:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Hey @StrummerJoe I was into psychobilly for a while too, Mad Sin, DAG, and a Canadian band, The Brains, that you probably haven't heard of. Which psychobilly bands were you into? I still listen to it around Halloween!

View attachment 90560
Of course THE Reverend Horton Heat (he's huge up in the PNW, his first record deal was with Sup Pop in Seattle), The Cramps, 7 Shot Screamers, Meteors, The Vice Barons, and a lot I can't think of right off the top of my head. I was just listening to Martini Time in the Jeep yesterday lol

Crikey

Reaction score
So I am curious what you guys think:

I read about people outgrowing their metal phase in regards to guitar playing and turning more towards "dad music", there's nothing wrong with that but lately I noticed a shift in my taste in music and my gear choices as well and I am asking myself: "Am I finally becoming old?"

I turned 29 last year and whilst I still enjoy the music that made me pick up the guitar in the first place, I mostly play blues and rock n roll. Occasionally I still turn up the gain and riff on some Thrash metal (I'll never stop doing that) but I sold most of my pointy guitars and just have my Marshalls which satisfy my tonal needs, I ride the volume and tone knobs the whole time and sometimes I even play completely clean and finger pick.

So is this just a part of maturing? Musically I mean. I do wonder.

Share your thoughts everyone! :)
29 old? hahah.
I still rock the punk rock at mid century and metal, funk, etc.
I hope to be 80 yr old with a mohawk playing my favorite music through my Marshall stack

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score

View attachment 90560
I also like Junior Brown a lot and Johnny Falstaff for having the same spirit. Check out Johnny Falstaff if you haven't heard of him before...
Johnny Falstaff - One Hand Tied (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Johnny Falstaff - Honky Tonkin' Daddy (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Johnny Falstaff - Undead Love (Official Video) - YouTube

The Devil's Daughter aren't bad and easy to look at
Pass That Bottle - The Devil's Daughters AZ Rockabilly - YouTube
The Devil's Daughters w/ Danny B. Harvey - Pedal to the Metal (Live) - YouTube
Mad Sin
MAD SIN - Cursed (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube
The Wolfgangs
THE WOLFGANGS - Cannibal Family [Official Music Video] - YouTube
The Hillbilly Moon Explosion have been at it for quite a while...
The Hillbilly Moon Explosion (9) - Enola Gay - YouTube

So many good artists in that genre...