Am I getting old?

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SiCoul

Reaction score
I guess we're kinda similar. My attitude hasn't changed a whole lot over the years, except I think I'm more compassionate and understanding of people that have been sidelined or kicked in the nuts by society.

I still don't trust people who wear suits, the overtly religious, rich people in general, politicians, the list goes on. I try to avoid most get togethers with people from my past who have become upwardly mobile, drive expensive cars, and have 'perfect' families (we all know that hell begins at home). I don't fit in with that crowd, never have, and when I speak they are not really sure about how to take me.

When I was a teenager I enjoyed most of the Rock at the time (Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Nazareth, etc.) and when punk came along I realized this was what I was waiting for. I was somewhat rebellious and never held back speaking my mind when confronted by a power-abusing A-Hole of an authority figure, hence my complete lack of upward mobility. I have listened to punk and hardcore all of my adult life, but now here's the weird part, in the last couple of years, instead of mellowing out with age (I just turned 60), I have been getting into harder and more aggressive music. Yeah I still listen to classic rock, and play punk and hardcore, but now I'm also listening to, and playing, some metal (SOAD, Ramstein).

I guess I'm just opposite to most folks as they age. Or maybe I just can't appreciate all of the jazz-listening, entitled, rich bastards that live in the Mc Mansions up the road? Several have been exposed as crooks and frauds, go figure!

:applause:

Are you really Jello Biafra? I’m thinking so

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
He's one tall cowboy dude! I really liked that 'One Hand Tied' vid, sounded a little like a honkytonk version of the Cramps there. The Cramps have some similar stuff on their Bad Music for Bad People cd.

Here's their version of Muleskinner Blues

and speaking of Sparky, who could forget this one

What's not to like about a giant redheaded dominatrix that rocks a big fat Gretsch?

And for those who know, Sparky is a legend. Nobody else sounds like sparky.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
So I am curious what you guys think:

I read about people outgrowing their metal phase in regards to guitar playing and turning more towards "dad music", there's nothing wrong with that but lately I noticed a shift in my taste in music and my gear choices as well and I am asking myself: "Am I finally becoming old?"

I turned 29 last year and whilst I still enjoy the music that made me pick up the guitar in the first place, I mostly play blues and rock n roll. Occasionally I still turn up the gain and riff on some Thrash metal (I'll never stop doing that) but I sold most of my pointy guitars and just have my Marshalls which satisfy my tonal needs, I ride the volume and tone knobs the whole time and sometimes I even play completely clean and finger pick.

So is this just a part of maturing? Musically I mean. I do wonder.

Share your thoughts everyone! :)

Man I'm in my early 30's and I've done the same thing. For me it was classic rock that got me to pick up electric guitar, then I got into hard rock and old style metal for a bit (like NWOBHM) then into blues and straight ahead rock. Now I'm working on learning jazz and I am really enjoying it. My guitar tone I'm typically using is cleaner than it's ever been before for the most part. I think it's just as you play you start looking at things you haven't done with the instrument yet and start to check them out.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Are you really Jello Biafra? I’m thinking so

Please don't tell anyone. DK

180px-Alternative_Tentacles_Logo.png

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Sammy kicks butt!

I could never really get into him. He's just okay to me and I still think he ruined VH. His MTV show is okay.
But evidently he must have bad taste too if he's partying with rappers-

Frankly, it's just un-American not to like rap.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I could never really get into him. He's just okay to me and I still think he ruined VH. His MTV show is okay.
But evidently he must have bad taste too if he's partying with rappers-

Frankly, it's just un-American not to like rap.

He made VH, they lost nothing when that arrogant foul left the band. Sammy can still rock it and sound good, DLR is an embarrassment in all ways when he gets on stage not to mention he dresses like a clown.

If its un-American to not like rap (shat), well I call BS…but I know you are just joking with that statement and cant possibly be serious!