• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amp suggestion.

• Thread starter 40xxx04
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

40xxx04

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first tube amp. Influences are Iommi, Blackmore, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker and Uli Roth. I play mostly old school metal ad 70s, 80s rock.

Budget: $1000 approx
New/used
Mainly to jam and possibly to gig
Own a mexi strat (s-s-s)
Been playing for a year.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not have a cab but can find one for cheap where I live. Any particular cabs should I keep an eye on?

Well this is something you will develop a preference for depending on what speakers are in them which you will want to know if you get one.

I prefer Greebacked(speakers)cabs especially as a 412. A 212 version of these and you have to watch how many watts your amp is pushing.

I also like V30's in a 412 and 212. They are 60 watt each power handling so a 212 can cover a lot of ground too.

There are many types of speakers and others will chime in with some good variations. The 2 I mentioned will work for what you want to play but again these things can be a matter of taste. That comes with playing with them and seeing what you prefer but wattage handling is always something you need to know. Will your amp be a match or will it run more watts than a speaker cab can handle. Must know info.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look around your area and post up what cabs are available. That will narrow down some choices for what amp you choose.

Avatar Speakers have some good cab/speakers and of course used Marshall cabs are always a good choice.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Also look at the Vintage Modern. It has a more old school sound than the DSL's in my opinion. The 2266C can be found used for under a grand and heads can certainly be had for under a grand. Then get a used 1960A or a 212 like an Avatar.

Salsg

Reaction score
Vintage Modern would be a good choice, and pair it with Vintage 30s or Greenbacks.

LedZeppelinFan

Reaction score
Musican's Friend is practically giving away the Bad Cat Cougar 50H. It's basically a Chinese manufactured/ Bad Cat designed type deal, with spring reverb. Marshall-esqe. Very Marshall-esqe. It gets super clean, and it gets sickeningly distorted. $430! With that, you'd have money to purchase a real nice cab. I'm looking to snag one. Definitely consider.

40xxx04

Reaction score
Anything I should be careful about before buying used tube amp?

fryeguy

Reaction score
Anything I should be careful about before buying used tube amp?
Yes! Most important thing to ask, in my opinion, any mods?! The last thing I wanna do is buy someone's failed experiment. Wanna-be gear heads will get in there & mess with components they don't understand because they read about it on some forum. Musical instruments are NOT like houses, "upgrades" almost never increase their value!! Look for something that's all original, with the exception of tubes of course. Amps in original condition maintain their integrity & value much more than amps that have a mishmash of parts from who knows where in them. Tubes can last a while but there's no telling when they were last replaced & how much life they have left in them unless someone shows you a receipt & a copy of the work order. Highly recommend firing up the amp in person, preferably with YOUR guitar. You've got single coils so "most" tube amps should do your strat justice but you never know til you play. Make sure it works & sounds the way YOU want it to sound. If you're new to tube amps, don't buy before you play. Tubes respond quite differently than solid state amps. They aren't as forgiving and don't hide your mistakes very well. This is a GOOD thing! A good tube amp will make you a better guitar player. Just make sure to try before you buy. Get up close & listen for any weird pops, hissing, or any other obvious signs that something's wrong. Turn all the dials & push all the buttons, don't be afraid to ask questions & try to understand as much as you can about the amp's history.

fryeguy

Reaction score
You can grab an older JCM2000 DSL100 and cab for well under $1000.
I picked up a 98 DSL100 head last year for $550. I gotta say though it really doesn't cover that 80s rock/metal sound imo. The lead 1/2 channel is ok, I mean it never blew me away. It's all gain & very little tone. Even using the Deep switch & leaving the Tone Shift off there was a significant lack of bass & punch. I ran it thru my 1960AV cab & trust me, it's not the cab. Very fizzy sound that I was never able to get around. I owned a new DSL40C & same deal. The classic/crunch channel, now that had the fullness the other channel lacked but the gain only took you so far, leaving me to have to use a boost pedal just to get to ACDC level distortion, which isn't that saturated, far from "metal". It's not necessarily a bad amp but based on the music the guy likes to play, I'd honestly look closer at a JCM 900 MKIII, even the Dual Reverb 900s have a more vintage 80s vibe than the DSLs, & they're about the same resale-wise.

40xxx04

Reaction score
Yes! Most important thing to ask, in my opinion, any mods?! The last thing I wanna do is buy someone's failed experiment. Wanna-be gear heads will get in there & mess with components they don't understand because they read about it on some forum. Musical instruments are NOT like houses, "upgrades" almost never increase their value!! Look for something that's all original, with the exception of tubes of course. Amps in original condition maintain their integrity & value much more than amps that have a mishmash of parts from who knows where in them. Tubes can last a while but there's no telling when they were last replaced & how much life they have left in them unless someone shows you a receipt & a copy of the work order. Highly recommend firing up the amp in person, preferably with YOUR guitar. You've got single coils so "most" tube amps should do your strat justice but you never know til you play. Make sure it works & sounds the way YOU want it to sound. If you're new to tube amps, don't buy before you play. Tubes respond quite differently than solid state amps. They aren't as forgiving and don't hide your mistakes very well. This is a GOOD thing! A good tube amp will make you a better guitar player. Just make sure to try before you buy. Get up close & listen for any weird pops, hissing, or any other obvious signs that something's wrong. Turn all the dials & push all the buttons, don't be afraid to ask questions & try to understand as much as you can about the amp's history.
:applause: Thanks for such detailed info.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owned them both & honestly......that OR15 of yours would slay any DSL in terms of pure tone & vintage vibe. Well within his budget too.

I'm not going to push one way or the other but I can cover a lot more ground with the DSL40 than the OR15. I like the 40 watter over my 50 watter too...it sounded better. There's no more deep switch. Resonance pot and it works much better. Anyways I've got clips up of all my amps around here all over the place. I like what they do for the most part. If I don't like something I definitely say so. I have never had one amp do modern and vintage the way I want and it be the only amp I need or want. For me it doesn't work that way. However I can cover a lot of ground with a DSL because I've played them for years and know how to get the goods. A proper mix of preamp and power amp go a long way with a EL34 driven DSL whether new or old. So do Greenbacks.:D

I also have a 4100DR clone which I think kicks ass too. It would cover much of the same ground so I can't argue there.:yesway: it cost me $400 brand new.

I will say to the OP to demo some amps. Player experiences differ. For whatever reason, right or wrong...they can be good or bad with said amps. Check some threads out. There is a big DSL40c thread and you can get more imput on them. Not everybody will like the same amps. I've got buds here that can't stand the DSL. I've got no problem with that.

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
I picked up a 98 DSL100 head last year for $550. I gotta say though it really doesn't cover that 80s rock/metal sound imo. The lead 1/2 channel is ok, I mean it never blew me away. It's all gain & very little tone. Even using the Deep switch & leaving the Tone Shift off there was a significant lack of bass & punch. I ran it thru my 1960AV cab & trust me, it's not the cab. Very fizzy sound that I was never able to get around. I owned a new DSL40C & same deal. The classic/crunch channel, now that had the fullness the other channel lacked but the gain only took you so far, leaving me to have to use a boost pedal just to get to ACDC level distortion, which isn't that saturated, far from "metal". It's not necessarily a bad amp but based on the music the guy likes to play, I'd honestly look closer at a JCM 900 MKIII, even the Dual Reverb 900s have a more vintage 80s vibe than the DSLs, & they're about the same resale-wise.

I disagree, I play a DSL100 thru the same cab and the red channel sounds great.

The DSL is a fantastic head.

The green channel sounds gorgeous and if you push it with a light OD or compression, it is balls out awesome, thick, rich, and snarls.

The red channel sounds great as well once you reset your EQ for all the same reasons as the green.

I know people bark about the shared eq all the time but if you simply cut the leg off 1 tiny cap, the shared eq is no longer a problem and the red channel will be voice just like the green except with more gain.

My DSL channels are used with MODE in on both channels, simply rolling the volume down on your guitar cleans them right up (apparently this is a lost skill)

I have had AND sold a 2555, 2203, and a 900.
My DSL has out classed them all.

EndGame00

Reaction score
DSL40C, then swap the speaker with Celestion Creamback, or a WGS ET-90... that will give you the "classic-y" tone...

Reaction score
I know its a little out of your budget but what you really seems to want is a jmp 2203 based on what you said (except for Gary Moore)

40xxx04

Reaction score
Found a JCM 2000 at GC for about $600. All stock parts. Will go for it :D
Although I got a feeling I would be spending more time playing once I get it so I can tame the beast :shred:

Latest posts