• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Another Cab Build Problem: Baffle cutout.

• Thread starter RJW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neikeel

Reaction score
Personally I would have used void free birch-ply as much for longevity as tone. If you are going to use MDF (nothing wrong with that in hi-fi cabs) then you should probably go thicker - at least 19mm as it will flex and fail otherwise (same for particle board - Fender twins used it).
I always think of pine as being floating baffle Fender tweed style (might be wrong about that?)
Looking good tho'.

BlueX

Reaction score
void free birch-ply

How do you get "void-free" ply? The only technical info I find (except for dimensions) when looking for birch ply is "WBP glue". As I understand this means "Water Boiled Proof".

Sapient

 
Reaction score
there seems to be a lot in favor of new baffle. Seems like birch is preferred. The rest is pine. Would changing the back panel and baffle to pine ply be a good option? They are low on birch sheets at the local store. I think 24x24 only. That won’t work.

I would then have an all pine cab for better or worse.

You're getting spun all over although everyone is just trying to help. You know enough. I'd just go lay on your bed and decide what you wanna do, then do it. It's time you come back and just tell us what you did. :)

:2c:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I don't build cabinets that might be subjected to gigging and road usage out of material that was formerly a bunch of sawdust particles. With a certain amount of abuse, or ANY significant amount of moisture, it'll turn back into particles. Plywood can withstand getting wet to some degree without damage.

I've got cabinets that I first made over 35 years ago that are as solid as if I made them today. No MDF, no particle board in them.

I would not buy an MDF cabinet for guitar amp or sound reinforcement applications. The only times I ever had one, I quickly sold them off and at least got my money back out of them.

RJW

Reaction score
850EBA90-F95C-4D35-873C-93C00CB212E9.jpeg A86559CC-996E-43CA-BEFD-2A9D1F2D8223.jpeg A7005102-3330-462A-ABD4-D321981A539E.jpeg BD76B42A-0E83-4455-AB06-C577B3A5CB87.jpeg 9BCB9456-3D93-4D0A-B31A-270D3206C3F7.jpeg
@RJW update, where you at with this, is it all fixed?

Update: I ended up finding some 15/32” birch and replaced the baffle and back panel. I saved the two pieces of MDF for use in another build.

I will eventually try to use the router to rabbet and flush trim the small circle to size. Just to try it. I thought I already had a flush trim bit but evidently I don’t.
When I get that set up, I’ll try to post about it so everyone can see if it works or not.

As far as the cab, it’s basically finished. I wrapped w tolex and completed construction yesterday . It’s just not loaded and wired up yet.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet!
Now we just need some picks of that red plexi that sits on top...