Are JCM2000 amps “voiced” for the Celestion G12T-75 speaker?

• Thread starter WienerDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I really do. Bear in mind that I have a 4x12", a 1x12", and my DSL20CR loaded with those. I am not sure whether they benefit from a larger cab size, bigger iron, or both, but they do sound a bit better in the 4x12".

As it so happens, I was doing speaker testing yesterday, testing the G12T-75 against the Vintage 30 in a 1x12". For the test, I used my DSL20CR on max volume, same settings, same mic placement on both cabs (cap edge for the G12T-75, and just outside cap edge on the Vintage 30). I liked the Vintage 30 way better. The Vintage 30 is warm and full-bodied, whereas the G12T-75 is metallic, and hollow in the lower mids. Listening to the results right now with fresh ears, the G12T-75 sounds much brighter, a little less scooped than yesterday, but still. I would describe it as "energized," with that bright, aggressive, metallic treble. It is not the kind of speaker that lends itself to melodic playing. Chords sound alright, albeit a bit too energetic, for lack of a better word. It just sounds so jacked up all the time, with no sweetness to it.

Some people claim the G12T-75 needs a lot of break-in and volume to sound good. That may be true, but I can't attest to that, since in my test, I sent "only" 20W (tube) through it.

That said, the G12T-75 is fine, as long as you don't double-track it with a Vintage 30 on the opposite channel, because the Vintage 30 will dominate it.
Yeah the output is less. V30s can be a bit fatiguing but I love them with the Jubilee! The T75 not so much with those. I was suprised how midrangey the 75s sound compared to mamy reviews.
I havent recorded with either that will make a difference I bet. I dont critocally listen up close. Set it, sounds good? Go!

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Yeah the output is less. V30s can be a bit fatiguing but I love them with the Jubilee! The T75 not so much with those. I was suprised how midrangey the 75s sound compared to mamy reviews.
I havent recorded with either that will make a difference I bet. I dont critocally listen up close. Set it, sounds good? Go!
It's interesting you say that. I did some research on the 'Net today to see what other people think. I read many comments saying that the G12T-75 is great for live playing, as is the Vintage 30, whereas the Vintage 30 is better for recording. That seems to echo what you said, and it aligns with my experience to date with the two speakers.

Vesperado

Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting a set of 75’s to use with my DSL50 head. If I’m not mistaken, the 1960 cabs in the JCM2000 era came with these speakers, right?

Currently I’m using WGS Invaders. I wonder if mixing those with the 75’s might also be good....
I assume you started this thread, yes?

No, the JCM2000 line was not voiced upon this speaker. If you look at the component values in the tone stacks they reflect Marshall JMP/JCM800 values. It's simply Marshall's legendary tone.

As for the 1960A, those been around for a while, and Marshall did not release a JCM2000 specific cab. Had they done so they would read JCM2000 1960, but they do not. I recall they did release the 1960AV/BV cabs around the turn of the milennium, but those neither were specific to any Marshall line.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
My appreciation for the G12T-75 has definitely grown since my most recent comments on this thread. My current opinion on it is that it is a very classic-metal speaker with that treble emphasis. A lot of people say the V30 has an upper treble spike, by which they are probably referring to the presence frequencies that are quite, well, present in the speaker, but I wouldn't describe it as treble. To me, the V30 has an emphasis on lower mids, probably somewhere around 650Hz, and also sounds a bit warmer than the G12T-75.

I no longer think the G12T-75 is scooped. It's more that it emphasizes frequencies in the 1000–1300Hz range. One of the good things about it is that it records very well. It's a very safe speaker that one can't go wrong with.

From the perspective of sonic aesthetics, I should prefer the G12T-75 as a fan of the Piece of Mind Maiden tone, but I typically gravitate more towards the V30 in terms of how it feels and responds, especially with that thickness and honkiness in the lower mids.

machinated

Reaction score
I don’t think the DSL’s are voiced for T75’s more than any other marshall amp is. The Marshall voiced V30’s work great for me, as do greenbacks and standard UK V30’s.

Experiment with what you can, speakers and cabs are generally far too overlooked

Adieu

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the "high end" combo of the JCM 2000 line was the TSL122, which had one Marshall Vintage + one Marshall Heritage (Marshall spec V30 & higher wattage version of the H30)

GT08

Reaction score
Speakers (same type) can age very differently to each other, just like most things in life.

Rock n' roll

AlboK

Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting a set of 75’s to use with my DSL50 head. If I’m not mistaken, the 1960 cabs in the JCM2000 era came with these speakers, right?

Currently I’m using WGS Invaders. I wonder if mixing those with the 75’s might also be good....
I just bought a Marshall 1936 2x12 with those G12t-75's for my JCM 2000 DSL 50. I already have a Marshall 2536 2x12 with Vintage 30's. Didn't now if I would like the G12's but after playing it, YES it's great with this amp, has to cranked a little but it's great. Was really surprised.

Last edited:

AlboK

Reaction score
I can honestly say the 75's in my 2003 cabs sound brighter than the 75's in my 2018 cab. However, it could be due to age and break-in use of the cab.:hmm:

I will also say that my JCM 2000 amps do not sound good at all through my 2551AV/BV cabs. :erk:
Really? I have the 2x12 2536 cab with those Marshall Vintage and my JCM 2000 DSL 50 sounds awsome with it.

AlboK

Reaction score
Use the speakers you like the sound of!

I don't know about JCM2000s, but the JVM410 was apparently designed using G12T75 speakers.

I think G12T75s sound awful - flat, harsh and boxy. They are the first things I change in a cab (for V30s)...

Do you stick with the tyres used during the development of your car, or choose the ones you like best?
I have the Marshall 2536 2x12 with Marshall V30's and just bought the 1936 2x12 with G12t-75. Love them both. I don't think one sounds better than the other, just a different tone.

AlboK

Reaction score
My jcm 900 cab. Has g12t75 is my favorite cab out of all. Everything sounds great through it. And I’ve got a 1960 ax greenback cab, a vintage modern 425 a cab. Silver jubilee 2551
My JCM2000 DSL 50 sounds amazing with G12t-75's but my Silver Jubilee Mini sounds like shit with G12t-75's. That's why I have 2 cabinets the other has Vintage 30's for the Jub.

AlboK

Reaction score
I assume you started this thread, yes?

No, the JCM2000 line was not voiced upon this speaker. If you look at the component values in the tone stacks they reflect Marshall JMP/JCM800 values. It's simply Marshall's legendary tone.

As for the 1960A, those been around for a while, and Marshall did not release a JCM2000 specific cab. Had they done so they would read JCM2000 1960, but they do not. I recall they did release the 1960AV/BV cabs around the turn of the milennium, but those neither were specific to any Marshall line.
YES they did it's the JCM 2000 TSL 2x12 open back cab with one Vintage 30 & Heritage speaker. Sounds amazing for an open back.

jason_s

Reaction score
My TSL122 is loaded with the original Heritage and a WGS Veteran 30. I think it sounds better with it than the original Celestion V30. I’ve also ran it thru my homemade Orange 2x12 vertical open back can with Neo Creambacks. I like even more with the creambacks.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I was just playing my TSL100 last night through a 70’s greenback cab and also own a DSL100. First time I ever played a TSL100 was through a 1960AC cab many years ago and I thought it had magic. They have some serious EQ at hand and can sound pretty good with almost anything but I always personally thought the DSL100 and TSL100 might possibly have been designed with the greenback in mind. Those amps just deliver sheer magic and tone and seem to get the most out of their EQ and gain structure with greenbacks under almost every situation to me.

I’m starting to believe almost everything Marshall designed is centered around greenbacks and Les Pauls/strats. I stuck a pair of 10” greenbacks in my MG15 mini stack and suddenly it became a very nice warm, dynamic, and real sounding amp.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I was just playing my TSL100 last night through a 70’s greenback cab and also own a DSL100. First time I ever played a TSL100 was through a 1960AC cab many years ago and I thought it had magic. They have some serious EQ at hand and can sound pretty good with almost anything but I always personally thought the DSL100 and TSL100 might possibly have been designed with the greenback in mind. Those amps just deliver sheer magic and tone and seem to get the most out of their EQ and gain structure with greenbacks under almost every situation to me.

I’m starting to believe almost everything Marshall designed is centered around greenbacks and Les Pauls/strats. I stuck a pair of 10” greenbacks in my MG15 mini stack and suddenly it became a very nice warm, dynamic, and real sounding amp.
I agree. I swapped out the G12T-75's in my 1960a cab for Greenbacks, and my DSL 50 sounds incredible. It's the sound as far as I'm concerned.

What?

Reaction score
I like greenbacks, but the reissues sound peaky/ringy up top to me, like when you push an eq band too high and it's just about to go into feedback.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I haven’t had any recent new greenbacks but they seem to balance out after some good pounding for a while. My special break in procedure is to lay the cab face down on the floor, feed slayer into a 2204 with a iPod all day, and crank it about half way. They always sound better after hours of that.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I used to leave it in the garage with the cab up right but the neighbors at my old house went absolutely wild with slayer pounding out of that amp all day even with the door shut. The whole house emitted sound from that lol.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
My Greenbacks are a mix of UK and Chinese. Don't hear much difference between them. Well broken in by previous owners and not toppy at all. Could also be that I adjust my amp to them. Found the G12T-75 speakers much more toppy and bassy.