Are You A Left Lane Driver?

• Thread starter crossroadsnyc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tone seaker

Reaction score
Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
I'll be there for the BBQ. I'll be driving in the Left lane with a beer in my hand 5mph under the speed limit. :D

Come on down. Cops love open containers. LOL

LOL lets fight over BBQ and beer and call each other inbred yokels LOL.
I certainly dont like to fight. But it seems like certain people just got to tear down every post you do. I tried to put a nice post about BBQ in central Texas that I go to a lot and it immediatly got torn down by Bastardo critizing. I dont get it

Thats probaly it for me tonight got do a show :)

Last edited:

mcblink

Reaction score
About a year ago I visited an uncle I had not seen in years. He was an independent driver (18 wheeler) and had to work - he jokingly asked if I wanted to come along for a job/ride along (about an hour away), I wanted to visit with him, so I agreed. Holy pain in the ass! I'll admit, I figured with a huge truck comes huge stopping power. This was clearly not the case - scared the hell out of me how long it took for us to slow down. I cannot count how many times he had to stand on his brakes when someone saw a car-length amount of space in between us and the car in front of us, and then decided to squeeze themselves in. Changed the way I drove when I'm around truckers. :yesway:
Absolutely. I think most people are just ignorant of it, meaning completely unaware. A single ride-along often can and will change a person's perspective. I haven't driven a truck in several years now but I CAN tell you that truckers everywhere really do appreciate your cognizance around them. They really are helpless to a degree in that aspect. I don't even remember how many times I had close calls - due to "four wheelers" as they're called amongst big rig operators.

They absolutely don't stop on a dime at all.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
If so, knock it off! Seriously, is there anything more annoying on the road other than maybe tailgaters or the guy / gal that cuts you off in heavy traffic just so they can be one car ahead? I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to be this cop on our current trip. The worst!

That was octa-awesome. :yesway:

What I find troublesome are the road ragers. When you see them they are almost always in the wrong because frustration has gotten the best of them. I admit, it's hard to put yourself in the shoes of that pickup truck driver who's driving down the single lane road like it's a sunny Sunday afternoon, but you never know if there's a legit reason. They could have a baby in the car, people actually do transport cakes, stuff like that. It's so easy to get pissed when the speed limit's 55, everyone else is doing 65, and you get stuck 10 cars deep behind some old fart who's doing 50 in 5:00 traffic and won't let anyone pass.

I was driving home in a snowstorm last week. It was dark out and difficult to see, difficult to concentrate. I needed to move over to the left lane and had my flasher on, but nobody would let me by. I finally saw a break and went to seize the opportunity when some nut-job was speeding up behind me and went nuts on the horn. He did the same thing two more time with other drivers, and would switch lanes quickly without using his flasher. The driver was obviously in a hurry, and obviously stupid, among other possibilities.

Last summer, again, I was trying to switch to the left lane and couldn't see clear enough, so I eased my way over slowly in case another driver needed time to slow down. I apparently pissed off a pickup truck driver behind me, because he yelled "move over @sshole!" out of his window in a rage. Three lanes, packed traffic, no one going faster than 40mph, and this guy thought he was going to get ahead of a thousand cars and trucks because he was in a rush. Man, we all want to get home, we all have bad days, but chill up. Did he think I was changing lanes slowly because I wanted him to be late for his nightly 6 pack of beer? Three lanes of highway, all of us are in the same boat wanting to just get home from work, and there's always some jerk off who thinks they're special.

So I think road rage is mostly due to the inability to know why someone's driving a particular way. If you're like me though, whenever you see someone driving out of order, you're just dying to catch up with them so you can see what that driver looks like. Is it an old lady? A drunk driver? A car load of teen agers screwing off? You just never know.

Last edited:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Hard 8 BBQ? We always hit it up in Dallas when in town for work. I'm sure it's not as legit (maybe a chain?) but the food is damn good to me.

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
The Volvo that was doing 50 mph in the HOV lane on 80 west this morning got busted. After getting within a few car lengths, I flashed my lights and the guy actually tapped his brake. I passed on the right and signalled that he was #1. About .1 seconds later he had a black Ford Explorer with a gumball machine on the roof, flashing gumball lights and hi-beams on almost climbing up his roof. Don't know what he'll get fined, but if I knew who the Chippy was I'd buy him a dozen doughnuts.

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
I have not read everything here, but what are we complaining about here exactly? Literally driving in the left lane? Are we not supposed to do that? On the freeways I was always taught left lane is for folks who wanna GO REAL FAST.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not read everything here, but what are we complaining about here exactly? Literally driving in the left lane? Are we not supposed to do that? On the freeways I was always taught left lane is for folks who wanna GO REAL FAST.

I was taught that the posted speed limit is not a suggestion, it's the law. I've never heard of a GO REAL FAST lane. At least not where I live.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

The left lane is the passing lane, so the complaint is regarding people who use it as a cruising lane when there are cars behind them. It not only impedes traffic, but it puts people in a dangerous position having to pass on the right.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The left lane is the passing lane, so the complaint is regarding people who use it as a cruising lane when there are cars behind them. It not only impedes traffic, but it puts people in a dangerous position having to pass on the right.
You couldn't have said it better cross :yesway:

BowerR64

Reaction score
You never heard of the fast lane?

Come on now!

Ghost

Reaction score
This thread describes my life and feelings 100%. I think states should revamp the highway laws and speed limits. Should be one larger sign that says "RIGHT LANE: 70/LEFT LANE: 75+". And leave it at that. No speed limit in the left lane other than a minimum speed.