Are you a ....."Longhair", dude?

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I had long permed rocker hair through the 80s. Eventually had a curly mullet.
Now it is long but not hanging long.

1983 from video

DXXvQPG.jpg

AOiIDKL.jpg

Mullet years.

FWepE6a.jpg

Fairly current

N4Pj5VQ.jpg

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Nope, shorthaired breed for years now. Used to be though. Looked maybe a bit Paul Rodgers-like.

johnny q

Reaction score
When lock down started last year, I went almost 4 months without a haircut, which was the longest time waited, since like......1990! I considered letting it grow out again (I had hair down my back when I was in my teens/early 20s.) I mean - I had nowhere to go and no one to see - why not? In the end, I went back to the clean cut look.

Derek S

Reaction score
No disrespect meant to the previous posts - but this thread just got a lot more interesting! :applause:

OT: I had crazy long hair most of my youth and especially in my band days but eventually went short (mid 2k's I believe, cut it off and donated it to the "locks of love" folks).

Edit: I'm slowly graying now and actually thought it might look cool to grow it out a bit but haven't committed yet. I was lucky during the peak of the lock down, a neighbor that snips hair for a living decided to sneak a few peeps into her living room.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the short respected version of hair and long . I have since 2008 gone back to long hair.
And I can care less about what people think [url=https://postimg.cc/ns6sQMvf][/URL]
It doesn’t seem to get much longer than where it is right now, and it’s a touch thinner than it was in my 20’s , but who really cares.
Cheers

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
mcblink! Dude, you look pretty tough. I ain't fuckin' with mcblink.

:metal::metal:

Wow, Doc! I would have never guessed, dude. :yesway:

I've always been a return "longhairer" in life. Always. Down to waist?? You guys are extra rowdy! Middle of my back has been longest for me.

:dude:

It's weird you say this - my single neighbor chick down the street has been giving me a strange alluring smile as I go by her on my motorcycle. A few other strange, seemingly liking, incidents as well. Hmmmm. (I haven't had a f'n chick look at me in f'n 15 years.)

I think you may be right, but, understand, as I'm sure you know by now, there are chicks that think it's disgusting too. Fine - I only need a couple takers. Lol.

Maybe "to the waist" was a bit of an exaggeration, but it's getting close! Lately I've been growing the beard too, mainly to cover up my old fart turkey neck since I'll never be able to afford a facelift..Probably wouldn't go down that road even if I could afford it though..:lol:

So yah, I'm a hairy 'ol bastard!

My beard ain't like McBlink's..Yet!

And yeah McB, I need to get off my ass and finally figure out how to post pics on here..And you're right about the chicks..I get a lot of smiles and flirting from ladies less than half my age..Although I'm never sure if they're coming on to me or just think it's cute to see a grandfatherly old hippie dude..:hippie:

My hair has always been a bit of a battle..My parents, especially my Mom, hated it, but they never forced me to cut it like a lot of my friend's parents did..And I grew up in the south where it was a popular thing to pick on longhairs. I caught hell in high school, but gave it right back to them! Then when I got up to junior level and started hanging out with the "pot smoking freaks" everyone was afraid of us and life got easier..:naughty:

Later when I entered the workforce things had gotten more laid-back concerning hair length, but there was still "those employers" who didn't like long hair..If they told me "I'll hire you if you'll cut your hair" I would reply "No thanks, if you're more interested in keeping up appearances than having a good worker I'll look elsewhere!".

It all just made me more stubborn and rebellious, and utterly determined to keep my freak flag flying..But these days with some of the "fashion statements" I see out there long hair seems pretty tame by comparison! :shock:

I retired from a government job, and in my working life was employed in civil service jobs in the local, state, and federal levels, along with other jobs, and through it all I kept my hair long, doing the ponytail bit to keep my employers from giving me static over it..:D

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The funny thing to me, as the owner of a more perfect head, not hidden by hair, is that my response to losing my upper hair is to keep the rest really short so as to minimize the apparent baldness. But I won't go with a cue ball shave. I just have to be sure not to go too long or I end up with the classic Friar Tuck hairstyle.

I spend NO tome worrying about my hair pattern. I keep it low maintenance and don't spend money on "cures" for male pattern baldness.

But if the day comes where there IS a true cure that doesn't involve transplants or daily applications of some mysterious chemicals, and is a "take this shot and forget about it" kind of cure, then I'd go for that. I would like to have kept my 20 year old hairline but I'm not going to gripe about it.

I saw the signs of male pattern baldnes starting to appear when I was 22.

DaDoc

Reaction score
The funny thing to me, as the owner of a more perfect head, not hidden by hair, is that my response to losing my upper hair is to keep the rest really short so as to minimize the apparent baldness. But I won't go with a cue ball shave. I just have to be sure not to go too long or I end up with the classic Friar Tuck hairstyle.

I spend NO tome worrying about my hair pattern. I keep it low maintenance and don't spend money on "cures" for male pattern baldness.

But if the day comes where there IS a true cure that doesn't involve transplants or daily applications of some mysterious chemicals, and is a "take this shot and forget about it" kind of cure, then I'd go for that. I would like to have kept my 20 year old hairline but I'm not going to gripe about it.

I saw the signs of male pattern baldnes starting to appear when I was 22.

I've always felt for you guys who have to deal with that..The other guitarist in one of the bands I was in had that problem big-time, and let what he could grow go long, did a combover, and constantly wore a hat..I remember one night back in the '80's when we were both really drunk and he went almost to the point of being in tears over losing his hair..He was like "I'm a rocker! Why the hell did I lose my hair!?" Then went into a story about thinking maybe a girl he had done dirty in the past had put a voodoo curse or something similar on him..:facepalm:

I felt for the guy, and told him to get over it, his look wasn't all that bad..And it wasn't! He looked kind of like the lead singer for AC/DC! :thumb:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Combovers...just no. Rock what ya got! Combovers are always lame, 100 percent of the time, there are no exceptions or excuses.

Same goes for rugs/toupees.

Once on rare occasion I'll go with a friend to a local joint to check out the band, and inevitably we end up playing the "Count the hairpieces" game. How many insecure middle aged men are at the bar, trying like hell to appear younger than they are and pretending they actually still have a full head of hair? We bust our guts laughing at some of the utterly ATROCIOUS efforts made to hide the shiny heads! I think one night we counted THIRTEEN toupees in the place at the same time.

Meanwhile, all the guys who have no issues with their baldness manage to look just fine. And THEY are the guys who are going home with the loose women!

There's a lot to be said for getting comfortable with yourself and your conditions.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Wow - you been in it for a very long time.

I'm betting you even know how to handle a treble string break in the middle of a solo! :yesway:
Yep it has happened. Play around it!
Always been in bands even if we didnt play out that much. My twin bro is a drummer so always had a half a band.
42 years now.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Combovers...just no. Rock what ya got! Combovers are always lame, 100 percent of the time, there are no exceptions or excuses.

Same goes for rugs/toupees.

Once on rare occasion I'll go with a friend to a local joint to check out the band, and inevitably we end up playing the "Count the hairpieces" game. How many insecure middle aged men are at the bar, trying like hell to appear younger than they are and pretending they actually still have a full head of hair? We bust our guts laughing at some of the utterly ATROCIOUS efforts made to hide the shiny heads! I think one night we counted THIRTEEN toupees in the place at the same time.

Meanwhile, all the guys who have no issues with their baldness manage to look just fine. And THEY are the guys who are going home with the loose women!

There's a lot to be said for getting comfortable with yourself and your conditions.

Absolutely! That's what I used to tell my buddy..Just go with it!

Like I said he looked fine with a hat on, but if he took it off he looked ridiculous..But he just couldn't get past the vanity thing.

Latest posts