Are you so used to one type of guitar that the rest just feel odd?

• Thread starter TonalEuphoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Gringo

Reaction score
My very first electric as a kid was my Gibson Les Paul Custom . Then of course I got a Fender Stratocaster , as you had to have both a Les Paul and a Strat . I used to blast the Strat thru a Big Muff . What did I know ? Then because of my love for the Stones and KEEF , I had to get a Tele. What a surprise as to how good and hard the Tele rocks , and is so easy to play and get tone out of that fugly shape and look . Today I have 4 Fender Tele's and 3 Fender Strat's. Never could have predicted that ! The Les Paul with all of it's boat anchor weight seems so right and natural as I was born with it . The tone is just drilled into my head and ears and that just bias me every which way . Just like that first childhood love. I have tried every which way to make the darn Strat work and it is an exercise in futility . Much easier to get the Strat to work before I jumped on the Marshall band wagon , with my Fender Twins . You know what ? I don't lose any sleep over it one bit , and when I plug in and play I always grab a Lester and just rock out same as when I was a kid , only difference being my Marshall 2555X's and my Marshall 2551 AV cabs loaded with Vintage 30's (darn best speakers to my blasted out ears ) Easy formula for me -Les Paul's into MARSHALL's :headbanger:

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I’m in this stage right now. Just got my first fender strat and boy is it different.
The radius of the neck and way it sits on the body whilst seated is all very alien in comparison to my les paul.
The strat slips off me when sitting, I keep hitting the switch whilst soloing and sometimes strumming. It feels very odd.
My les paul feels unbelievably perfect to sit with. Just feels like it fits me right.
Only other guitar which feels real nice is my squier tele. I don’t notice a difference with the scale and it sits lovely and comfy, even the radius of the board feels right. Neck edge isn’t as round as I’d like but it’s great otherwise.
Think my thing is a slab body without contours. Other stuff just feels different

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I could safely say that I have one particular guitar that I've had a long time that just feels "right" when I pick it up. I like all of the others, but it takes a second for me to adjust and get comfortable with them unlike the "fav"...
+1 on that I like all my guitars at this point , but when I pickup #1 I allwasy smile and think"theres a reason ive worn the finish off the back of the neck", but Ive been diversing out a bit cause shes getting noticable fretwear now.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Everybody has their preferences. Nothing but Tele's for me from now on. I don't need variety. I need particular. Particular tone and particular playability. I'm not buying anymore Fender's though. I'm going to build them from parts from now on.

ElKabong

Reaction score
you done broke yourself... :)...

I don't have that problem, like that. My problem comes more from switching from guitar to bass, back & forth, because of string spacing is so drastically different. Some basses have drastically different spacing too...

Although, when you write a guitar part on, say, a guitar that has more range, like 24 frets, or 29 frets, then go to play that on a guitar like a Tele. or LP, it kind of leaves you wanting...

Just like when you write something w/ whammy bar stuff & you grabbed a guitar w/o.
I had a similar issue. I picked up a Schecter 8 string and started toying around with it. Straight scale, no whammy. Feels like a bass w/24 frets. Then I found this Argyle fan-fret with whammy. Feels like a fat-neck Tele. Short scale, 24 frets. Both inexpensive, and fun as hell to play!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415_122351_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230415_122351_Gallery.jpg
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 2

vmathias

Reaction score
Lp styles used to feel really good. Now I play strats mostly. CMGs shorter scale guitar feels great.

Wildeman

Reaction score
My main squeeze will be a Tele of some sort, I have four now, building another and always looking for more😎IMG_20230328_173242791_HDR.jpgi do like my other guitars too, I like variety but Teles are home.