Cardboard boxes? Really?

• Thread starter Goes211
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Jeez, I saw an **s load of Harleys being unloaded one day in front of the dealership. Came packed in, you guessed it, cardboard boxes, huge ones. Womder if the used Harley market depends on the friggin box...

I work at an mc dealer, first thing we do is rip that box to pieces so it fits in the dumpster.. You would be amazed at the people who have no idea the motorcycles arrive in crates and have to be assembled. They think they just magically float in there ready to ride.

maxxi

Reaction score
and what if they asked for the box, so when they sell it again, they can claim that they are the original owner, thus fetching more money for it?

just a random thought

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I just cut the tape, fold the boxes flat and shove them under a bed. Any foam goes into a labeled bag. It's no big deal.
The box does make the amp more valuable if a guy wants to buy your amp but won't because of no box. So what if he's anal? His money spends as well as anyone else's and a quick sale is better than a not-so-quick sale or no sale at all.
True, someone may want the box so they can claim to be the original owner but maybe they just want to know that YOU are the original owner. If you don't keep the box, at least keep the invoice or receipt.

Scratches on guitars: I'm in the middle. Play the snot out of it, yes. But don't abuse the damned thing. The difference between scratches and no scratches is often hundreds of dollars if you need to sell. Even more for vintage guitars. I'm not into losing money...I don't have enough as it is. -Rod-

keiffer76

Reaction score
Gotta love the cork sniffers...NOT! Worry about how it sounds, ,not a box...

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
Box goes in trash amps and cabs go right in a case. Cases have my name on them. You know, the natural order of things.

Delmeteor

Reaction score
My Superglide came in a cardboard box. The one I got from Franklin Mint. My real 26 year old Superglide I rode out of the showroom.

Jaguarguy

Reaction score
If you saw some of the ***t boxes I've received amps in you might ask if they have the original box! It's not a show stopper if they don't have it but I do worry less about how UPS, USPS, or FedEx is handling it.

JSJ900

Reaction score
Did he offer you less without the box? I would tell him he could buy it today for $10 less with no box.

Goes211

Reaction score
I was asking $750 plus shipping originally. I went down to $700 (with free shipping).

One guy offered me $600 without the box (and manual -- don't get me started on this, either). To be fair, IDK if he was wiling to pay $700 even if I had the box (and manual).

Two others have asked if I had the box and didn't reply after I told them I didn't. So apparently the box is a deal-breaker for some.

Did he offer you less without the box? I would tell him he could buy it today for $10 less with no box.

Speeddemon

Reaction score
When I bought my Roland JC-55 combo used, it came with the original box. I didn't ask for that, but since I had to carry it on a train ride home, I was glad I got the box. I brought a trashbag myself, to cover it against any possible rain. Since the JC-55 is pretty darn rare, I keep the box around, but stuffed it with other stuff, so the box actually gets used.

2 of my smaller amps (the Ironball and the EVH) I bought new and got the original boxes from as well. Very sturdy, so they do a good job of keeping all kinds of stuff nicely stored; TRS multi-core snakes mainly for my mobile recording rig.

Other than that, I don't care when it comes to amps. Vintage fx-pedals is a different story for me, but I actually collect a few. (aside from an original block logo Blue Box, I have the full pre-Dunlop late 70's MXR catalog here, all with boxes and most with their manuals).
Collecting pedals is a lot cheaper than collecting amps and it takes up way less space too. ;-)

soundboy57

Reaction score
I have the original box with my mint 1978 2204.
Original tubes, too.

Should I replace the tubes with JJ....and burn the box?
Scrape the tolex?
It sounds pretty darn good, I hate to change anything....but I hate to feel left out of the club:hmm:

6cd3583bf0.jpeg

GerryL98

Reaction score
I like to try a lot of different gear. What I don't use that much I will trade or sell on Craigslist. For the stuff I've bought new I will put the original box away for later because I will get a little bit of a premium on the resale or the trade and it will sell faster. When I'm buying on CL and two guys have the same item in the same condition for sale for the same price I'll take the one with the box. Not always true, but it seems that the guys that keep the box and the case candy take better care of their ****.

keennay

Reaction score
I have the original box with my mint 1978 2204.
Original tubes, too.

Should I replace the tubes with JJ....and burn the box?
Scrape the tolex?
It sounds pretty darn good, I hate to change anything....but I hate to feel left out of the club:hmm:

6cd3583bf0.jpeg

Nice! If I ever foolishly sold my 2204 and someone had the nerve to ask if I ever had the original box, I will lie & tell them the new one from Marshall Milton Keynes is the original.

Serves all those corksniffing SUCKKKKERRRRRZZZZ!

Of course I can always go to my local Guitar Center and keep one of their new JVM shipment boxes.