Chappers demoing slashes new 5 watt marshall

• Thread starter zack268
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe. 5w isn't working an EL34 too hard. Maybe that's the problem.

an EL34 working in a single ended class-A 5 watt amplifier is working WAY harder then one in a push pull pair or quad... don't get this wrong!!!

drgordonfreeman

Reaction score
Eh, this video didn't really sell me on the SL5, and I went into it wanting to be sold on it.

Last edited:

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I remember reading something about class A amps working the power tubes harder, and I think it was here on the workbench forum from one of the techier members. Memory might be failing me here but I think it had something to do with it doing twice the work since it's single-ended vs dual-ended (class AB).

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah wasn't impressed with the T, would,have preferred they used a trad or even the afd signature if that's how the are touting the amp as an afd.

I thought it was hilarious when chappers was clamoring for an fx loop like the rest of us.

WAT?! No effECTS loOP? :mad:

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Interesting. Why is that?

in a push pull pair, one tube drives the upper half of a sinewave, while the other tube drives the lower half...
so in one whole cycle one tube is half of that time sitting at idle doing nothing... during the event of no signal both tubes are barely passing current

a single ended circuit is different as one tube has to make up the whole sinewave, so only at the lowest peak of the sinewave the tube is passing the least amount of current... this means that with no signal applied the tube is passing on quite an amount of current vs a push pull pair

this also means that when driving a single ended amp really hard only the upper part of the sinewave will be distorted, while the lower part stays clean... this gives lots of second order harmonics many of us like...
my guess is that an EL34 running in 5 watt class A, has more headroom to avoid too much asymettric distortion, as that could't work that well with a pretty high gain circuit, like the SL5's overdrive channel

another thing is that crossover distortion doesn't occur on class A single ended, something that is eminent on a push pull amplifier, especially on a cold biased amp

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
and a picture always speaks louder then words...
as you can see, a tube running in class A will be passing more current on average then a tube running in class A/B or class B...

Idle%20Current%20vs%20class%20of%20operation.png

Slackerprince

Reaction score
Seems like some are condemning this amp before it's even released and before they have even tried it.
I don't think small amps are a gimmick, at all. There are a bunch of us that need a home/studio amp of this size and with this feature set.

S

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Seems like some are condemning this amp before it's even released and before they have even tried it.
I don't think small amps are a gimmick, at all. There are a bunch of us that need a home/studio amp of this size and with this feature set.

S

I like your avatar.

Welcome to the forum, btw.! (make that a belated welcome haha)

hbach

Reaction score
this also means that when driving a single ended amp really hard only the upper part of the sinewave will be distorted, while the lower part stays clean... this gives lots of second order harmonics many of us like...
my guess is that an EL34 running in 5 watt class A, has more headroom to avoid too much asymettric distortion, as that could't work that well with a pretty high gain circuit, like the SL5's overdrive channel

I don't agree completely with this. If the class A amp is biased at center to get the maximum clean power you will get grid current clipping on one side and cut off clipping on the other side of the wave form, so definitely distortion on both sides, but different forms of distortion.
It is the PI in a Push/Pull arrangement (almost always Class A/B no matter what Orange marketing says) that cancels lots of second order harmonics of previous stages by sending two inverted signals to the power section. That's why IMHO the single ended amp (should always be Class A) has a reputation for second order harmonics.

Actually though, a Class A/B Push/Pull can be very lopsided if you have a fairly unbalanced PI.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I'm coming over from Fender amps and hope to make the SL5 my first Marshall.
Looks like a good fit for me.

S

I think it looks like a terrific amp, and I'd be thrilled to own one (that captain / chappers video doesn't seem to do it justice)!

Slackerprince

Reaction score
I think it looks like a terrific amp, and I'd be thrilled to own one (that captain / chappers video doesn't seem to do it justice)!

Yeah, too much goofball schtick in their videos to consider it a resource for review.
The feature set on the SL5 is ideal for my situation and the price is reasonable.

S

Latest posts