Chappers demoing slashes new 5 watt marshall

• Thread starter zack268
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MKB

Reaction score
But it's an EL34. I guess we give tube types more "credit" than they are due.
Hmmm, didn't know that, but I stand corrected. The low end mushiness and the 5W power rating would indicate a EL84, as they said in the video.

5W is a bit wimpy, I have built single tube EL34 power amps that would push 12W fairly easily.

true... i run a 12DW7 in the JVM and a reversed 12DW7 in the AFD :)
Now that's just sick. It would be funny to see this become a trend, then see the sticker shock on NOS 12DW7's. It wouldn't help the Ampeg folks either, it's already hard enough to afford NOS output tubes for a SVT, then they have to get the DW7.

hbach

Reaction score
Hmmm, didn't know that, but I stand corrected. The low end mushiness and the 5W power rating would indicate a EL84, as they said in the video.

5W is a bit wimpy, I have built single tube EL34 power amps that would push 12W fairly easily.

I would say it was a marketing decision. The 5W/1W rating will make it attractive for "bedroom players" but having the EL34 will make people think that it's a big boy (or bottle) amp. Means $5 more cost but the ability to put a higher price on it. Not dissing the amp I think the green channel cranked on the official video sounds great.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that's just sick. It would be funny to see this become a trend, then see the sticker shock on NOS 12DW7's. It wouldn't help the Ampeg folks either, it's already hard enough to afford NOS output tubes for a SVT, then they have to get the DW7.

it won't become a trend, really... by doing so on a single amp setup it neuters the sound a bit... i only did this, because i play both amps in a stereo setup, where both poweramps are deliberately set out of phase... to avoid too much phase cancellation i use a 12DW7 in the JVM and a reversed triode 12DW7 in the AFD...

Latest posts