• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Chasing Allen Collin's Tone. Pick help

• Thread starter Back to Marshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apparently Allen Collins used the Mel Bay Green Bullseye picks back in the 70's. It looks like they are no longer made. I'm used to using Dunlop Ultex ot Tortex picks. Usually .60 or .73mm. Naturally these are not the same nylon. I used to use blue "Match Picks", but don't know if they are still available. Back in the day I used them to get my "twangy" Skynyrd sound.
Does anyone know what picks would be closest to the Mel Bay Green "Bullseye" picks Allen Collins would have used?
Thanks.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Ultex and Tortex are not made of Nylon, so I would start with some actual Nylon picks like the Dunlop Nylons or Herco Nylon. Never used any Bulseyes myself and I see the greens were only .05mm according to an old Mel Bay page on Amazon. I never knew they made picks that thin. So I would start with some actual Nylon picks and get them as thin as you can. I know Dunlop has some .38mm and .46mm Nylons which are a lot thinner than anything I've ever used. Good luck. :)

Reaction score
I have some gray Dunlop Standard nylon picks in .73mm and another thickness. To me they sound terrible. That's why I am wondering if the nylon picks used back in the 70's (I don't think I used any nylon picks back then either) were different than the ones made today. Also for years I have played using one of the rounded edges from the wide end of the pick if that makes sense, and not the point. I know the point probably produces less pick noise, but I get a much better harmonic or twang out of the pick using the larger round corner.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the Flex 75's and really like them. Been using for a few years as well as others. I'm pickey though. :D

I don't like the warmer, smoother sounding picks. I prefer a snappier/crisper attack. Don't like thick picks either. 1.38 using certain picks is as thick as I'll ever go.

Right now enjoying a regular sized Jazz 3 Ultex for the first time. Usually use the XL versions of the Jazz picks.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the Flex 75's and really like them. Been using for a few years as well as others. I'm pickey though. :D

I don't like the warmer, smoother sounding picks. I prefer a snappier/crisper attack. Don't like thick picks either. 1.38 using certain picks is as thick as I'll ever go.

Right now enjoying a regular sized Jazz 3 Ultex for the first time. Usually use the XL versions of the Jazz picks.

Similar story here. I've been using the Herco Flex 75 for a long time. Recently switched to Gravity Classic .77. Trying to stick with it. Have been for about 2 months. I like them, but not sure I won't switch back the the Herco. I referenced the Vintage 66 for the OP. Seemed apropos to what he's looking for.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar story here. I've been using the Herco Flex 75 for a long time. Recently switched to Gravity Classic .77. Trying to stick with it. Have been for about 2 months. I like them, but not sure I won't switch back the the Herco. I referenced the Vintage 66 for the OP. Seemed apropos to what he's looking for.
Sometimes ya just got to try them to know. The Golds are inexpensive and I ordered a 6 pack. I got curious.lol

I had been thinking of trying Honey picks. Spensive picks. Funny this thread popped up while I've been checking picks out too.

Good thread for gathering experiences and options. :eddie:

Wildeman

Reaction score
You won't be using the side of a Herco, unless you like a rough grating sound.

Reaction score
I don't have Allen's setup. I'm currently using a DSL100HR head and 1960A cab. Waiting for the "B" to arrive. I used to use. Peavey Classic 100 head with A 2x12 cab I built and loaded with late 70's Scorpion? Concert enclosure speakers. I have an Explorer in natural finish, so close, but not the Corinna version Allen had. I'm also not using a Peavey Mace amp. It would be cool to have one some day must for nostalgia.
It's hard to tell if some of the sounds Allen got live were mostly pick action, or also a product of a cranked tube amp. I love the sound he got at the Knebworth concert in 76. The sound in the Oakland concert in 77 would be second.
So far, I am getting closest to his tone in the 76 Freebird lead with the amp on the gain channel, not crunch, and the amp set on full power. BUT, I have not tried cranking the Crunch channel harder to see if I like that tone.

Reaction score
Also I posted something about Allen using green? Bullseye picks, which is what I read somewhere. All the rig setup pages I have seen only list that he used the "Bullseye" model, and not which thickness. I have never actually noticed a green pick in any close-up video I have seen of Allen's pick hand.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I already got the Gold 66's. Been playing and going back and forth between 66 and Ultex Jazz 3.

The Herco 66 Gold feels good. Like the gauge whatever it is. The description given to it are spot on. Warmer/smoother yet articulate. I like it and it offers another option for sound/feel.

I prefer the attack of the Ultex Jazz 3 and it's size. Matter of preference. I dig a more snappy bitey stringy articulate sound and feel.

I'll keep using the 66 Gold as I like variety plus want to see if it grows on me for certain things.

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to pst pics I was able to capture of Allen playing. These were snapped during the Freebird instrumental in the 1975 BBC video, just before Billy Powell's piano part.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130-091623~2.png
    Screenshot_20221130-091623~2.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20221130-091623~3.png
    Screenshot_20221130-091623~3.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
"If" the green Bel Ray picks were actually a "thin" pick, is that actually what he would have been using for all those great power rhythms and blistering leads? I couldn't think pick recovery/response would be fast enough with that thin of a pick.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could get an assortment of lighter to heavier gauge picks and test that theory out. I see Amazon has 12 packs for under $10 and less. Would give you a worthwhile idea of how the thinner pick attacks and recovers response wise. Just a thought.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Allen Collins used the Mel Bay Green Bullseye picks back in the 70's. It looks like they are no longer made. I'm used to using Dunlop Ultex ot Tortex picks. Usually .60 or .73mm. Naturally these are not the same nylon. I used to use blue "Match Picks", but don't know if they are still available. Back in the day I used them to get my "twangy" Skynyrd sound.
Does anyone know what picks would be closest to the Mel Bay Green "Bullseye" picks Allen Collins would have used?
Thanks.
You could try and contact "Tina".

Latest posts