Combos: 2000 or 900.

• Thread starter ninjavampire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ninjavampire

Reaction score
Hey guys, I own a DSL 401 combo at the minute and some guy is offering me a JCM 900 2x12 dual reverb for a swap.Would that be a worthwhile swap or is there any point.

At the minute I'm pretty happy with the DSL, so it would need to be a big improvement to warrant the swap.

Ideally I want a JCM 800 but they are a bit too pricey for me at the minute. I play a wide variety of stuff, but I'd say my personal style has been heavily influenced by 80's rock with a blues element.

Thanks in advance.

Nic9981

Reaction score
Swap it - no if's, no but's. The DSL 401 is a great first valve amp but the JCM900 Dual Reverb was, once, the top of the range pro spec model!!

Ken

Reaction score
Why would you trade a modern high gain amp with a pure tube path for a glorified solid state distortion pedal? This guy would need to sweeten the deal with cash, and even then you'll still have to play through the 900. PASS.

Ken

keef1367

Reaction score
+1 for keeping the DSL I love my little 401 revalve with JJ's and stick a V30 in her and she'll be as sweet as :)
900's ore ok but the 401 is a very underrated amp I gigged mine for 4 years with no probs at all getting all sorts of compliments along the way
Keep it dude if ya want more grunt from it sit it on a 4x12 and enjoy the eargasme :)

Johnt

Reaction score
+1 for keeping the DSL I love my little 401 revalve with JJ's and stick a V30 in her and she'll be as sweet as :)
900's ore ok but the 401 is a very underrated amp I gigged mine for 4 years with no probs at all getting all sorts of compliments along the way
Keep it dude if ya want more grunt from it sit it on a 4x12 and enjoy the eargasme :)

Yep, +1 there. I gig regularly with mine plus a 2 x 12 cab underneath it. Love this amp and it's versatile for the wide range of stuff that my band plays.:)

JohnT

goodson

Reaction score
I'd keep the 2000. I've owned both (50 watt heads) and i think the 2000 is a far better sounding amp. i never really got on with the 900 series.Not saying its a bad amp-just wasn't for me.
Think about getting a 1x12 extension cab your amp.

medicjg

Reaction score
Im a DR fan but if your happy with the DSL I wouldnt do it. Glorified solid state I think thats taking it a little far. The power section is all tube. The DR is not versatile but it has a sound and a good one. Its different and therefore gets slammed but its a solid buy for less than five hundred bones and can be a bad ass if you know how to approach it.

V-man

Reaction score
As usual, Ken is back to his DR trolling.

Both the JCM 2000 and JCM 900 series are "cheap used amps" these days. To the typical Marshall collector, there is no great impetus to grab a JCM 900, but the exact same is true of the DSL. That aside, there is no reason to make the swap at this point. The DSL gives you something usable and it's versatile. The JCM 900 DR gives you something usable and it's not as versatile.

As such, there are only three possible reasons why the trade would be good:

1. You actually have experience with the DR's voicing and it is what you prefer;

2. You know something about value or condition of your/his specific amp and the trade is advantageous; or

3. Pleasant as it is, the DSL is only a make-do piece of equipment you are biding your time with until you get the JCM 800 you really want so this is an opportunity for you to at least experiment with something else before you can afford your 800.

Ken

Reaction score
As usual, Ken is back to his DR trolling.

I wouldn't want to let you down! :naughty:

But in spite of my "trolling" you agree with my opinion that the DSL is the better choice of the two for this musician, and a trade makes no sense. I'll stand by my bridge and lust after Billy Goats with a clear conscience. :applause:

Ken

keef1367

Reaction score
Each to their own at the end of the day Ken loves his 900, I love my 2000's and I would love an 800 but for versatility the 2000 wins for me hands down :)
It's all in you ear firstly than in the feel and interactivity you experience as a guitar player between you and your amp :)

keef1367

Reaction score
Oops my bad lol
But you loved the 900 and have been an advocate for the 900 for a long time they are a good amp, no a great amp infact, just not for me that's all :)

ninjavampire

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Ya I think I am going to stay with my DSL. I have zero experience with the 900s so I wasn't sure would I be giving up a good offer or screwing myself! Nice to hear some positive stuff about my DSL for a change too, usually it gets bashed to no end :p

On a similar note, today I got offered a swap on my MG100HDFX Half stack for a TSL combo. I'm not 100% sure which TSL combo but I think it is the TSL 112. I know, another 2000 series, but honestly, I couldn't pass a trade on a solid-state half stack for a premium valve combo, could I?

Anyone have experience with the the TSL combos?

PS. Maybe I can trade both DSL and TSL for a 800? :D

Ken

Reaction score
Oops my bad lol
But you loved the 900 and have been an advocate for the 900 for a long time they are a good amp, no a great amp infact, just not for me that's all :)

The 900 isn't a bad amp, once you figure out how to set it up, and invest in a distortion and EQ pedal. Plus you have to play LOUD to get the power tubes in play. Pros who used them live could set them on 10 and not have a problem, but we more modest musicians usually can't do that unless we're home alone.

The DSL you just plug in your guitar, set the amp's EQ to 12:00 and play. You can then tweak to taste, but it all sounds good. Plus it has a lot more gain on tap if that's an issue. If I had a 900 combo I'm sure I'd use it over a Fender, but I'd never want one in place of a DSL.

Ken

Ken

Reaction score
On a similar note, today I got offered a swap on my MG100HDFX Half stack for a TSL combo. :D

The TSL is a WAY better amp, so as long as the cabinet isn't a 1960 model it's a good trade IMHO.

The DSL plus TSL should get you into an 800 combo or head; in fact you might get cash back for an 800 combo. I see some of them at $7-800 all the time.

Ken

keef1367

Reaction score
On a similar note, today I got offered a swap on my MG100HDFX Half stack for a TSL combo. I'm not 100% sure which TSL combo but I think it is the TSL 112. I know, another 2000 series, but honestly, I couldn't pass a trade on a solid-state half stack for a premium valve combo, could I?

Anyone have experience with the the TSL combos?

PS. Maybe I can trade both DSL and TSL for a 800? :D

TSL's Rock dude :) DO IT..... DO IT........ DO....... IIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!
LOL :)

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I've owned jcm2000s and 900s

I'd off the dsl401 for a 900 because for me the 900 is:
-better old school rock/metal tone
-simpler, better built (more reliable)
-I'd take el34's over el84's ANY day of the week!