des this Peavey Windsor...

• Thread starter stock_hippie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stock_hippie

Reaction score
sound anything like a Marshall...?

ScreenShot2014-12-10at35835PM_zps2dffaa79.png
[/URL][/IMG]

wallythacker

Reaction score
Depends. What model Marshall? I can get several Marshall "like" sounds from my Windsor and they range from meh to game on. The sound enjoyment I get out of it is far superior to the small amount of money it took to buy it.

Derail. For such a tiny OT I'm surprised it produces any decent sound at all. The thing is choke sized.

sloan_amps

Reaction score

[/URL][/IMG]

In my opinion, it definitely has that british flavor and sounds pretty good for the price, but in stock form I still think it compresses too much and the gain comes on too quickly, which to me makes it sound a bit one dimensional compared to a real Marshall.

However, the circuit is similar enough to a JCM800 2203 that it can be modded to sound a LOT like a Marshall.

I've modded a few of them in the past, one for myself even. One of them, the guy just wanted the preamp mods and it improved the tone and response quite a bit I think. For mine and the others though, I modded the whole circuit, including reworking the phase inverter, to JCM800 specs with just a touch more gain, added a 3H choke from Classictone and changed the output transformer to a Classictone JMP/JCM replacement model. It is in full Marshall mode now!

IMAG0007-1-1.jpg
101_0122.jpg

dreyn77

Reaction score
I could be the marshall for the sounds of today. the idea is to have the distortion but was the original the idea of "lets make this clean thing distorted"?

I recon with this type of product, you run with it and don't look back.

Even ACDC isn't the same band as they were back in the 70's so they don't have the same sound, so don't expect a Windsor to be a marshall. and be happy about it. :)

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

[/URL][/IMG]

Peavey amps in general don't sound that great.
And it's not really like a Marshall.
But I have modified them, and many mods exist for them.

The Windsor does have "potential" to be modified to sound like a Marshall.
In stock form, it sounds like a PV.

Please don't compare the sound of Peavey to a Marshall.
It's like comparing a Volkswagen Bug to a Cadillac.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
if ya want a PEAVEY that is a MARSHALL knock off,..get something in the VTM line,..it's based off the MARSHALL platform,...killer amps!,....the secret is out on them thou,..they've become quite popular,...

as far as cadillacs and vw's,....I can think of many VW's I'd take over many cadillacs!

Status
Not open for further replies.