Digitech RP1000 - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

roaster

Reaction score
Hi

I am from uk so its 220-240v.Routing the cable differently does help. I can cope with hum it just this godawful high pitched phased "Squeal" when you engage OD1 amber and red modes. I am getting quite tempted by a Line 6 DT50 now....

Merry Xmas to one and all

Keith

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
Those DT50's look nice. I'm not sure I'd want to give up that JVM though. I still haven't tried one yet but they look so cool.

Shame it or something else is playing up. I wonder if it could it be a faulty preamp tube in the amp that feeds to the fx loop/s, I've heard about this sort of thing happening, but not sure what the JVM does internally with its loop buffers etc. Might be worth looking into that as Pre-amps tubes are cheep.

roaster

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply

Changed the pre amp tubes for JJs.....

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
Wish I has more experience with tubes, My Laney GH100L is the first full tube amp i have owned, oh expect a really old Wem my Dad had years ago, wish we didn't get rid of that now!

I intend to re-tube the Laney at some point but I have other projects to get through first. One thing I heard is good for tube amps is making the preamp amp tubes run on DC instead of AC, to get rid of alot of the hiss, might look into that as the Laney is bloody noisy with full gain cranked.

I have looked into different brands and stuff, and so far All I hear is people slagging JJ's and other people praising them, seems like a real love hate with those. I guess as long as they do what they are supposed to, and don't introduce undesired noise, then they can't be too bad.

There are a few video comparisons on You Tube for different Valves etc. All I have really worked out from that is that I tend to like the EL34 power type valve more, but the 6l6's definitely have a nice sound too. There seems to be a huge choice of different preamp valves out there so i guess that would open a can of worms up if you wanted to experiment on those.

joshuaaewallen

Reaction score
There are certainly a LOT of options when it comes to tubes. Really, most of it depends on personal taste, but there is a lot of good info from the guys over on the preamp tube thread. Lots of experience and technical know-how, along with a lot of guys who like to experiment too. I've got a thread also where I am auditioning different preamp tubes, recording direct, and posting the mp3's online for folks to make comparisons. It's fun.

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool. I'll check that thread out when i get a bit of time. Im am little pre-occupied with my Ibanez ARX300 at the moment, put some new pickups in and now I'm getting horrible hum. Its really weird, Ive wired up a few guitars now, and never come across this before. Might have to take it to the "dreaded guitar tech" and swallow my pride. Ha ha.

timgman

Reaction score
I have an rp1000 for sale I'll do 200 plus shipping.

. good trades here ebay and mylespaul.com..
email for pics / details./.

Ibanez81

Reaction score
This thread is awesome! I was also surprised when I bought the RP1000 how little information there was out there. I recently had a Boss GT8 and I think the RP1000 blows it away. I love the simplicity of the RP. I spend so much more time playing now than tweaking my sound. Also I put JJs in my tsl60 and it really cleaned up the hiss in the od and lead channels

joshuaaewallen

Reaction score
This thread is awesome! I was also surprised when I bought the RP1000 how little information there was out there. I recently had a Boss GT8 and I think the RP1000 blows it away. I love the simplicity of the RP. I spend so much more time playing now than tweaking my sound. Also I put JJs in my tsl60 and it really cleaned up the hiss in the od and lead channels

It does indeed seem like a fairly intuitive box. I love mine. Still don't use the amp models, but the effects are really killer!

How do you use yours mate?

Ibanez81

Reaction score
I actually use the amp models. I like the distortion better than my amp. I play anything from hard rock to church music. I use the 5150 model for my rock stuff it is really a beast tone. In drop d it defiantly makes some earthquakes. At church I use a fender twin model and use the screamer for distortion and it gives it a real nice creamy blues tone.

joshuaaewallen

Reaction score
I actually use the amp models. I like the distortion better than my amp. I play anything from hard rock to church music. I use the 5150 model for my rock stuff it is really a beast tone. In drop d it defiantly makes some earthquakes. At church I use a fender twin model and use the screamer for distortion and it gives it a real nice creamy blues tone.

I'm kinda opposite there. My TSL has been modded, and between that and rolling different NOS tubes, my amp's tone is killer. At some point I'll play around more w/ the amp models for kicks and grins, but I'm sure I'll just keep going back to the amp for my main tone.... Really what I want to do is learn to use the effects to more effectively compliment and accentuate the tone of my amp...

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
Glad to hear other people are using the RP. Ha i sound like a rep or something.

Since i got my laney, i have been pretty unto the sound it makes, but i have set up a couple of pre amp models that run through the power stage of eth laney and i find them pretty nice. I set up a mesa type preamp model and that really kicks some arse for anything detuned or for extra heavy. Still go back to the laney full valve signal path for anything remotely classic or in need of that british crunch.

If i was gigging i reckon i'd trust the RP as long as i had taken to the time make sure all the patch levels were about right when the amp is is a gig level volume. It hasn't done anything that it shouldn't since i got it, and i often leave it running 24/7, usually as i forget to turn it off.

royslead

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to Marshall (just got a TSL 602, and a few months prior to that, a Valvestate VS65R). I have owned an RP1000 since 9/09, gigged with it, and used it extensively in practice. I have yet to hook it up to the TSL; but I have put it into the front of the VS65. It sounds good to me this way, but I generally keep it at low volume when doing this (I usually practice when everyone else has gone to sleep). As far as gigging out with it, it has been very stable for me. I use a few different patches, the main one being a patch I made to emulate my other pedalboard and its "normal" settings. I think I will continue to use the RP in practice, but I believe I will use the pedalboard with all my stompboxes on it for gigs. Someone posted a warning regarding the "drop and drag" procedure causing instability - as far as I know that still remains an issue. I have no experience as yet using it to record - just don't have the time, and some things I have played are better forgotten anyways...

snark

Reaction score
I'm having a noise problem with the RP1000...was wondering if anyone else has this and has found a fix. Because of my rig I cannot use the fx loop...(I'm running multiple amps). The RP introduces an incredible amount of Hiss into the amp...it makes the RP unusable it's so bad....at low volumes not too noticeable but cranking it up it's unreal how loud the Hiss becomes..I have great cables...tried all sorts of ground loop isolators...nothing works...I'm running in the modeling bypassed mode...any ideas are appreciated..

Randy

beammeupwelshy

Reaction score
By what you said couldn't figure out exactly how you are hooking stuff up.

Sounds like your going into the RP then into the amp inputs with no loops active on the amps or RP?

If you are sure there are no amp models and cabnit models on, then the noise could be a faulty unit or faulty amp or somthing. Ive had my rig running in various setups latley just messing around with stuff, and I havn't had any unwanted noise coming from the RP unless I had an amp model on when going into my guitar amp as well.

Some of the distortions can be noisey but no more so than a normal stomp box. If you run distortion on your amp you'd only want to only have a slight overdrive model on from the RP as than adds a ton of noise by distorting an overdrive, even with good cables and real stomp boxes.

Also make sure the button on the back is set to output at "Amp" level and and pull the master volume level back a bit, see if that helps, if you put too much level into your guitar amp inputs it might make some horrible noises etc. I get a weird hiss coming through from my Laney FX loop if I have too much level going back into the FX RTN, but thats an amp issue not from the RP.

Also maybe; the Gronculator distortion patch is a ring modulator which has a ring at a certain frequency, maybe thats on?

Hopefully its somthing simple I hate it when stuff is faulty.

snark

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback...unfortunately, I've already tried what you suggested...I've had the unit for about 6 months but was using it on lower wattage amps so I never noticed a problem...using it now on some Marshall 100 watters the hiss overwhelms you...kicking in the built in noise gate helps some but the hiss is still there...I sent tech support an email but no reply...