DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pups?

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
General opinions please? I haven't found the right combo yet in one of my LPs. So far I have tried BB pros, SD Custom 5, 498t, DiMarzio Tone Zone. Read good things about them.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I play with mostly Dimarzio Pickups...
PAF Master series are better than the 36th aniversary IMO.
Tried a 36 and for me it was kinda thin...clear, but didn't do anything for me.
The PAF Masters were fuller sounding especially the cleans for the neck.

Bridge pickups, I been sticking to the Super Distortion 3 for most of my guitars...a few still have the X2N.
The necks spot anymore gets PAF Pro or a PAF Master.
I will say that I kept a 57 in the neck of my SG and the 498 in the neck of my explorer. Those work well for that application.

My favorite LP combo is super Distortion 3 in the bridge with the PAF Master in the neck.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
General opinions please? I haven't found the right combo yet in one of my LPs. So far I have tried BB pros, SD Custom 5, 498t, DiMarzio Tone Zone. Read good things about them.
Paul what are you trying to change tonally in that guitar with the pickup that's in there now?

I didn't like the 36 Anni in my Strat but then that Strat is a dud any way so don't take my word on it, I think it would sound better in an LP, it is a low gain paf style pickup not that different from the 57 Classic you traded me that you didn't like. Me personally I love the Burstbucker 1 and 2 in my LP which are paf style pickups, they make a Burstbucker 3 also which is hotter never tried one though. Any paf style pickup will sound good with your JVM, you have plenty of gain on tap to juice it up. :yesway:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I have used both the neck version and the bridge version in different guitars. Each time depending on the guitar they sounded completely different from one guitar to the other. The 103, which is very clear sounding, was way too bright in a strat but way too cocked wha in a Les Paul. In an mahogany body strat and an all mahogany PRS it was absolutely perfect. I sent it away in a guitar I built for someone because it was the perfect pickup for that specific guitar.

I have the bridge wind in a mahogany tele with a maple top right now. In that guitar it is thick and chewy. Not sure it is the right fit there yet but it sounded completely different in an ash guitar. I think they are transparent enough that the sound of the guitar shines through, good or bad.

Both bridge and neck pickups have plenty of output. You won't find them too weak being used to using high output pickups.

South Park

Reaction score
I just put the 36 ani in the bridge air classic in Neck . Epi sg great tone you can coil split to.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I first tried the 36th set in a ESP eclipse and liked them a lot . I bought a set and put them in my les Paul special ( special because it’s a slab of mahogany no maple cap) they sounded pretty good . I still have the the neck pickup in the guitar (bridge on the bench double cream) but bought my own
S.D. Custom shop dubbed the MS . I am Real happy with it . It is supposed to be throw back to the Gibson T Top.

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be my humbucker of choice
I got quite a few old ones in use

I bought a few of the DP223 , the hotter wound 36th anni
But I think I actually prefer the DP103 . I'd start there , you can always stick it in the neck if it's not "enough"

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I’ve put them in a couple guitars and think they compare well to Antiquities. Good vintage wind humbucker

MarshallDog

Reaction score
36th Anniversary PUPs are my favorite. They are perfect IMO. Warm, thick but are not dull...still have bite depending on where you have your tone knob set. And yes, I have them in all of my Les Paul Standards (7 of them), thats how much I like them. I reco you buy and try, I believe you will love them unless you are looking for some over the top hot in your face PUP.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I've used a DP103 in the neck of a Telecaster 'Hot rod' I put together and I felt it gave me a better sound than the £££ Bareknuckle Mules I put in my Epiphone Les Paul (same type of pots, caps, etc too). More 'open' sounding, but still rich too.

I sold that Tele and bought an SG so I am now putting the DP103 in the neck of the SG and have ordered a DP223 to put in the bridge. Should arrive soon, so I'll report back how I get on: I'm taking out the PCB in the SG so it will have my 'standard' CTS500K audio taper pots and Orange drop caps (0.015uF and 0.022uF). I've re-wired most of my guitars as it's related to my day job and not expensive, but I feel it improves the feel of the controls and the roll off for the tone (with 0.015uF in the neck position).

Don't seem to read much about these pick ups now, maybe not flavour of the month, but I certainly felt that I should have fitted them to my LP rather than the Bareknuckle ones at about 50% more cost.

Adrian R

Reaction score
36th Anniversary PUPs are my favorite. They are perfect IMO. Warm, thick but are not dull...still have bite depending on where you have your tone knob set. And yes, I have them in all of my Les Paul Standards (7 of them), thats how much I like them. I reco you buy and try, I believe you will love them unless you are looking for some over the top hot in your face PUP.

Did you try the Super 3? The clips sound good and clear...but man ceramic magnet and it's quite hot.

South Park

Reaction score
The 36 ani pick ups have les signal and more tone. Works great with my 2204 gain. Sound great with the voltage sage. Hot pick ups don’t have the some tone