DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pups?

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

South Park

Reaction score
Get the split pots and coil split them . Sound real nice

Adrian R

Reaction score
Too bad you still don't have the Jube. Vintage output pickups and Jubilees get along. But congrats on the JVM.

I think you will like them. And among PAFs the 36th have good out put. In a LP they should be thick enough.

Man, that Jube...yeah, it was a REALLY cool amp...cool looking...but man, I just like my other amps more...

Guitar Dave T

Reaction score
Big fan of 36th Anniversary PAF's here.

I do the Billy Gibbons trick on the bridge: Raise overall pickup height just above bottoming out when fretting at the top fret, then counter-sink the pole pieces slightly into the bobbin. Fattens up nicely.

Here's a live clip of just the bridge pickup. Guitar is going straight into a 50w plexi. That's me on the right with the Les Paul:

Adrian R

Reaction score
Big fan of 36th Anniversary PAF's here.

I do the Billy Gibbons trick on the bridge: Raise overall pickup height just above bottoming out when fretting at the top fret, then counter-sink the pole pieces slightly into the bobbin. Fattens up nicely.

Here's a live clip of just the bridge pickup. Guitar is going straight into a 50w plexi. That's me on the right with the Les Paul:

Niiiiceee... You've got a kinda Gary Moore thing going on there.... smooth blues playing too..few guys can play em' like that. Great job. The whole band sounds good man...

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I finally got round to fitting my pair of 36th Anniversary pickups to my SG yesterday. I also took out the PCB and 'plug in' wiring, then replaced it with all metal braided wire, full sized Gibson 500K pots and used a 0.015uF cap on the neck tone control (0.022uF on the bridge as standard). It's wired as 50s style too.

This is from the back before I refit the cover:
Rewired.jpg

Not that you can tell, but these are the 36th in place: The neck one was previously used in a Tele I modified, so I bought the bridge one to match, both in the nickel finish.

DiMarzios.jpg

I like how it has turned out: The controls are much better as they are more gradual in their roll off (volume and tone). The 36th seem a bit clearer/brighter than the 61T/61R that came as standard, such that I can roll off a little tone if I want rather than leaving the knobs at '10' like before. They aren't really high output pickups, but that works well with my Marshall Mini Jubilee which has more than enough gain for the sounds I want.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul with the same wiring set up, but Bareknuckle Mules (again with the nickel covers). I think these 36th give the BK a good run for their money and would buy more 36th over Mules if I was upgrading another guitar in future. Maybe pricing is different in the USA, but from over here the DiMarzios are quite a saving over BKs (which are UK made, so maybe cheaper over here).

Final money shot, since this is a Marshall forum (and yes the amp is fine and doesn't overheat ;) ):
SG New Strap 1.jpg

Rozman62

Reaction score
I bet the blanket is now lifted off the tone. Beautiful SG. Did the same with a black '11 std. Love the interaction of the tone pots to the volume pots on '50's wiring. Roll back the tone and take note on how the volume really boosts going from 7-10. Step on a clean boost and you have an effective boost for leads on a single channel amp. Subject of many threads. 36's do rock the house.