Does anybody Ever made a JCM 800 sound HUGE like that?

• Thread starter PEMAMETAL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
Man....
The day YOu decide to sell this head don't forget about me! I'd buy it for sure, This head must be fucking monster awesome huge and thick tone.

indeed it is, but its not really THAT much diff. from a reg el34 head, if your not even getting close to that sound, then the 6550 aint gonna get ya there...

you keep mentioning feedback,...are you in a small room? playing with a band? are you sure you don't have a microphonic tube, or pickup?

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
indeed it is, but its not really THAT much diff. from a reg el34 head, if your not even getting close to that sound, then the 6550 aint gonna get ya there...

you keep mentioning feedback,...are you in a small room? playing with a band? are you sure you don't have a microphonic tube, or pickup?

I'm not so far, I just wanted a thiker tone. I've just recorded a 15 min clip of me playing guitar< Im uploading it at youtube at the moment, soon I'll link it here I'll hear my tone.

Yes feedback is a big problem to me, I'm playing in a very small room, like 3 meters x 3 meters, but the problem is just with high gain settings. I don't know if the tubes or pickups are microphonic but when I run a cable out of the room and close the door, it stops.

JayCM800

Reaction score
For about 10 months, back in 2009-10 i was using a 2203x that was available for me to use at our rehearsing studio.
I ran it: guitar with emg81's>pedal tuner>boss metal core>isp g-string>amp>mxr 10 band eq>isp g-string>amp>1960B cab
I ain't no Zack, but it sounded huge!
Then i bought the 2203kk, same thing, but with kt88's out of the box!
My only pedal now is the TUNER!:naughty:

:dude:

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
Hey,

Here is My tone. the camera mic didn't help to captrure the bottom end, but is possible to get an idea.
Sorry about the errors and mistakes, it was a 15 minute playing without edition. Just turn on the amp and start playing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCyqtzzvouc]YouTube - Zakk Wylde Medley Gibson les Paul Custom EMG Marshall JCM 800 2204[/ame]

Last edited:

richieG

Reaction score
ZW can play...no fucking drama there.

But every live clip I see he is always playing artificial harmonics. That really annoys me.

To me, overuse of pinch harmonics is like using excessive vibrato when singing. Grim

richieG

Reaction score
No man, it's not a regular .13, his strings are .10 - .60 for E and Eb tuning and .11 - .70 for D tunings (not dropped). It's like .10 top and .13 bottom.

I'm using 10 - 52 ( 10 top and 12 bottom)

I was a bit taken aback with the Zakk using 13's comment.

I thought SRV was the lone ranger there. How the hell he played like he did (think scuttlebuttin) with those strings is beyond me. What a legend.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
I was a bit taken aback with the Zakk using 13's comment.

I thought SRV was the lone ranger there. How the hell he played like he did (think scuttlebuttin) with those strings is beyond me. What a legend.

I guess you are more of a Man the heavier gauge you use....

Wylde tries to have this Bad ass macho thing going on which annoys the piss out of me. I bet Nugent can take him in the first round...

:):) TWIN

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
well,...i guess i'll be the dick here and go ahead and say it. Alot of the hugeness of zakks tone is definately comming from his hands. Check out this vid...he is playing a reg les paul (not his sig) and plugged into some lil valvestate or something,....and when he gets cooking the tone magically appears. ....and even that shitty little amp can't stiffle the zakk tone

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTzpxwXurk&feature=related]YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Shredding lesson[/ame]

j2112c

Reaction score
well,...i guess i'll be the dick here and go ahead and say it. Alot of the hugeness of zakks tone is definately comming from his hands. Check out this vid...he is playing a reg les paul (not his sig) and plugged into some lil valvestate or something,....and when he gets cooking the tone magically appears. ....and even that shitty little amp can't stiffle the zakk tone

YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Shredding lesson

Right on Bro!:hippie:
:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

hands-9248.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We agree again... we are going have to stop doing that!:lol: Seriously thanks for the clip.. that is my afternoon sorted....

Pemametal... nice playing mate, :) it is a shame the camcorder lost the bass... its a pain in the backside isn't it. What is your style like, I looked through your YouTube channel but did not find you playing originals... I may have missed it... is your style similar to Wyldes?:)

did you ever manage to replicate the bird chirping sound?... that was cool.:wave:

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score

YouTube - Zakk Wylde - Shredding lesson

Well Man, Here is My opinion.
Tone is different from technic and style. Pretty much what people were discussing here
http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/23037-if-tone-hands-why-bother-buying-marshall.html
And I totally agree with the guy that started the thread.
In this video you posted, He sounds like Zakk because his playing technic and style are the same, but to me the tone is very different from the videos that He is playing with 2 half stacks. Obviously the 2 half stack are much more Huge and thick sounding. And that's what I'm talking about, the tone not the technic. I'll never have his playing technic, but I can have his tone when playing an easy riff.
He surely can make a bad gear sounds more awesome than I, because He is a good player, but if You have a amplifier that is harsh and thin, You can't make it sound Ballsy and thick just with your hands, this kind of things comes from the equipament, not from your hands.

That's what I think, Tone is a thing that comes from gear and technic/style comes from your hands, How you sound is both things together.

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
Right on Bro!:hippie:
:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

hands-9248.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We agree again... we are going have to stop doing that!:lol: Seriously thanks for the clip.. that is my afternoon sorted....

Pemametal... nice playing mate, :) it is a shame the camcorder lost the bass... its a pain in the backside isn't it. What is your style like, I looked through your YouTube channel but did not find you playing originals... I may have missed it... is your style similar to Wyldes?:)

did you ever manage to replicate the bird chirping sound?... that was cool.:wave:

Hey man, Thanks, but actually I think My playing is not good, I wish I could play much better. I don't have a style, I only play covers in a band, I don't have anything original from me. But I listen to everything inside the circle of rock. Blues, hard rock, 80's metal, Heavy metal. My favorite guitarrists are, Zakk Wylde, Angus Young, Marty Friedman, Eric Clapton, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads, Slash, James Hetfield, Muddy Waters, there is a lot of styles in there, but my main influence is 80's metal.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
from what im hearing, comparing the two vids,...the first zakk, and yours,...Zakks sounds quite a bit brighter and it sounds like he has the gain on his od turned 'bout 1/2 way up or more,....but really, the core tones comming from the amps are not that different.

From the way you talked earlier i thought you were nowhere close but now after seeing your vid i'd say maybe the 6550 conversion and some EV speakers might be the extra something your looking for ...as both are going to expand your freq range,.. higher hi's and lower low's...the rest is gonna be up to your technique.

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
from what im hearing, comparing the two vids,...the first zakk, and yours,...Zakks sounds quite a bit brighter and it sounds like he has the gain on his od turned 'bout 1/2 way up or more,....but really, the core tones comming from the amps are not that different.

From the way you talked earlier i thought you were nowhere close but now after seeing your vid i'd say maybe the 6550 conversion and some EV speakers might be the extra something your looking for ...as both are going to expand your freq range,.. higher hi's and lower low's...the rest is gonna be up to your technique.

Hey wycked Lester,

I already have the 6550 in My 2204. Recently I was searching for a vintage 80's 2203 100 watts with 6550 and vertical inputs but I don't know if it would sound bring me the extra punch and balls I'm looking for, may be the upgrade from g12t-75 to EVM 12l speaker can make more difference than the upgrade from a 2204 with 6550 to a 2203 with 6550. These are the gear upgrades I can do, The rest as You said is in the fingers.

gjohnson

Reaction score
Damn. and you guys give Slash shit about his playing. That first vid of Zak SUCKED! Pure nonsence!

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
the speakers will make a fairly big difference,....they reproduce a much wider freq range,...the horizontial vs vertical inputs isn't going to make hardly any if any difference at all.

I clipped the bright cap on my 2203 and now i run the presc up on about 5-6 mid on 4-5 and treb on 6-7,...when i record it though, i run the presc and treb on about 8 1/2.

you were talking about how the camcorder cut off all your bass but the thing that i notice the most is that his is WAY brighter, and has more gain---probably has the gain on his od turned up quite a way.

most people run the sd1 as an almost clean boost, (level on 10 gain on 1) ...as do I,...but i can clearly hear that when he kicks his on the gain is boosted too

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
the speakers will make a fairly big difference,....they reproduce a much wider freq range,...the horizontial vs vertical inputs isn't going to make hardly any if any difference at all.

I clipped the bright cap on my 2203 and now i run the presc up on about 5-6 mid on 4-5 and treb on 6-7,...when i record it though, i run the presc and treb on about 8 1/2.

you were talking about how the camcorder cut off all your bass but the thing that i notice the most is that his is WAY brighter, and has more gain---probably has the gain on his od turned up quite a way.

most people run the sd1 as an almost clean boost, (level on 10 gain on 1) ...as do I,...but i can clearly hear that when he kicks his on the gain is boosted too

yeah, as I said in the begging of this thread, Zakk's sd-1 is set everything on 6, sometimes the gain goes up to 7 or 8, but usually is everything on 6. Well I think the evm 12l can sound brighter than the g12t-75, as the g12t-75 to me have a close sound comparing with other speakers I used.