DSL 40c vs DSL 50

• Thread starter MrDowntown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrDowntown

Reaction score
Hey gents.
First post on your most excellent forum.

My bride may get me an amp ( she just don't realize it yet ).

So up for consideration: a new DSL 40c, and likely add a 212 cabinet or a used Jcm 2000 DSL 50 and a 212 cab.

I've played the 40c, sounds nice....I've been reding about the 19 cap mod (?) and I think that may help as the 40 is very bright, IMO. The plus to the 40....it's new, manuf warranty, etc.

I never have played through a jcm 2000, but listening to the reviews and demos and such, it sounds phenomenal. The pluses are pretty obvious, but the negative(s) is I'm reluctant to buy something used, unless I go through a reputable dealer (gc, samash, or the like). And even then I suppose there are no guarantees.

It's likely I'm going to be spending the same money on either option.
So here's my question, will the 40 with 212 get close to the jcm? I know it want match it, without possible changes to the 40; cap mod, tube swap, etc.

I welcome thoughts and thank you for your hospitality!

Mdt

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
IMO the DSL40 is horrible in comparison to a DSL50. Get the 50, no mods required.

MrDowntown

Reaction score
Thanks.

Different question then....tsl 60 head vs DSL 50 head? And at this point perhaps I am trying to split the subjective hairs.....

Mdt

SkinnyJ

Reaction score
There is a lot of love here for the JCM2000 series DSL. I have no experience with it, so I can't give an opinion. I did own a TSL-60, however, and hated it. The three channel option is nice, but the clean channel broke up way to early and the lead channel was way too fuzzy and hairy. The second channel did sound good though. The parallel FX loop was useless and the amp just didn't seem to cut through a mix that well.

Since then I've used a JCM800 50 watt (that's like deploying a small nuclear weapon) and a Blackstar 20 watt and I've liked them better than the TSL-60.

This is all my opinion and your experience may be different.

StevieShiner

Reaction score
I plugged into a DSL 50 head years ago and thought it sounded great. That is the extent of my experience with it. However, I do own a new DSL40C and it is EXCELLENT! Try it out yourself before you discount it based on varying opinions.

Steve

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Stevie is right. You need to try as many as you can.
All three you mentioned are great amps.

JimiRules

Reaction score
I love my TSL 60, but I wouldn't dismiss the other two amps you mentioned either. I guess the one drawback to the DSL 40c (for me) is that I would prefer a head to a combo.

MrDowntown

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
After some thought I will likely pass on the 40 simply because of lack of an effects loop.

I really wish the 40 was in a head format with efx loop, or the 15h had an efx loop...

Oh well, so goes life. I'll continue to research the big boys; the 50's.

Thanks again.

MrDowntown

Reaction score
The 40 certainly does have an effects loop :)

:ugh: my mistake.... i have looked at so many amps, features, cabinets... it's all becoming blurred in my brain. :ugh:

I must have been thinking the 15H. Yea that's it.... :scratch:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I understand, I tried a ton of amps before finally settling on the DSL40C, I kept mine totally stock and it sounds great after the speaker broke in.

Whoah, post 100 made me a senior member? I guess my opinion counts now? LoL.

poeman33

Reaction score
I have had my JCM2000 DSL50 head for quite a few years now. I am looking for a 1x12 combo with EL34's, and have tried out a few. Since there was no YJM 1x12 combo introduced at Namm like I had dreamed about...I went out and gave the new DSL40C a try.

It sounds different than the DSL50, the reverb is horrid, the supplied speaker definitely lacks some bottom end and punch I'm used to...but no doubt about it...it's a Marshall. It has the dynamics of the DSL50 and responds very well to your fingers. Cleans up nicely with just the volume control on the guitar. I'm going to have to look into it more closely...I think there may be one in my future.

MrDowntown

Reaction score
I posed this same question on the BIG DSL Thread..., but does anyone know of, has has heard of a soundclip/demo of the 40c hooked to an extension cab (of some sort)? I am anxious to hear what the bugger sounds like through a proper 212...

mdt

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I might arrange something. I don't know how proper it is but since I installed the emanace texas heat I don't use the 2 x 12 closed back carvin with carvins version of vintage 30's.

Might be a couple of days but listen to the first recording in my sig recorded on the 28th for current sound.Ultra gain full pre amp and a sd-1. thats it. Very little post editing on the recording.
I am am never disappointed with the DSL 40c. I know there are better amps but this thing works for me.

clutch71

Reaction score
The DSL 50 is tough to beat and gets a lot of respect on this forum. Between the three amps mentioned the DSL 50 sounds like it will fit you well.

I've never found it too bright as some claim. The amp is equipped with a presence and treble knob and most guitars are equipped with a tone.

I'm firm believer in making sure the amp is properly biased. Marshall recommends a way too high bias and many members will affirm that setting it lower tames a lot of the purported fuzz and tightens the amplifier significantly.

poeman33

Reaction score
I posed this same question on the BIG DSL Thread..., but does anyone know of, has has heard of a soundclip/demo of the 40c hooked to an extension cab (of some sort)? I am anxious to hear what the bugger sounds like through a proper 212...

mdt

I tell you what Mr Downtown...you buy me the DSL40C I tried out yesterday, and I will do a side by side comparison with my DSL50...both in the same 4x12 or 2x12 :naughty:

MrDowntown

Reaction score
I might arrange something. I don't know how proper it is but since I installed the emanace texas heat I don't use the 2 x 12 closed back carvin with carvins version of vintage 30's.

Might be a couple of days but listen to the first recording in my sig recorded on the 28th for current sound.Ultra gain full pre amp and a sd-1. thats it. Very little post editing on the recording.
I am am never disappointed with the DSL 40c. I know there are better amps but this thing works for me.

Thanks...
I did listen, to all 3 actually, but since you mentioned the first clip solely, I took note of that one; very solid tone. On that clip, you mic'd the 40c?, or a cab? Either way sounded good. appreciate the heads up on that. :hbang:

MrDowntown

Reaction score
I tell you what Mr Downtown...you buy me the DSL40C I tried out yesterday, and I will do a side by side comparison with my DSL50...both in the same 4x12 or 2x12 :naughty:

Dude...that seems like a killer deal for me. :applause:
Amp's in the mail... ;)

On a more serious note... you tried out yesterday a 40c... are you liking it more than your initial thoughts? The 70/80 speaker still lack punch, or did you test a different 40c/speaker combo?

And i ask specifically about the speaker as result of the "breaking in " period. I'm sure it's more than myth and lore... but what is the "break in" period with moderate to extended play?

poeman33

Reaction score
Dude...that seems like a killer deal for me. :applause:
Amp's in the mail... ;)

On a more serious note... you tried out yesterday a 40c... are you liking it more than your initial thoughts? The 70/80 speaker still lack punch, or did you test a different 40c/speaker combo?

And i ask specifically about the speaker as result of the "breaking in " period. I'm sure it's more than myth and lore... but what is the "break in" period with moderate to extended play?

I was quite impressed. I went in to look at another amp that was on consignment, and didn't like it. The store clerk knows me and my style and knows I love my DSL50, so he suggested I try the combo. It had all the missing Marshall sounds that the other amp didn't have. It translates everything you do with your fingers very well. I like everything about it, except the reverb. The reverb sucked IMO. But it will be used for small gigs/parties, so that was okay with me, and I have a really good reverb pedal anyway.

The speaker lacked some punch, but I was able to play with the controls a bit and had it sounding pretty damn good.

MrDowntown

Reaction score
Cool,,,,you guys are getting me pumped up about the 40c now!

The reverb isn't great, I agree. I've got a hd500 I'm planning to use for modulations, effects, et al. That's my real need for an ex loop.

Latest posts