DSL players : what overdrive pedal are you using?

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
just curious to find out what overdrive pedal DSL players are using to push the cranked Gain channel for extra crunch and saturation. I'd love to get your input.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
you're using a DS-1 ? the orange Boss Distortion ? that's odd. are you sure you don't mean the SD-1 (the yellow Super Overdrive) ?

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
None. My DSL works just fine without one.

I DO have a clean crunch switching kit in it and I have reduced the value of C12 to 100pF.

It also has a nice set of Mullard I61s & I63s in it. Power valves are stock Marshall.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I've tried nearly all of them...HANDS DOWN Fulltone's FD2...A buck fifty new...

WAY better then the SD-1, all of the tube screamers new and old...MXR's noisy Wylde, box of rox, models with tubes in them...etc..

VERY quiet...utterly transparent with no cut, versatile...18v operation if needed for killer headroom...Hand made in Ca...very dependable (use mine all the time playing out and practicing)..

It's the most natural sounding OD pedal with a Marshall I have yet to experience. There is nothing bad I can say about..almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Modded DS-1. But only on the Classic Clean channel.
The Ultra Channel and Classic Crunch need nothing else.

TheSunShinesThrough

Reaction score
you're using a DS-1 ? the orange Boss Distortion ? that's odd. are you sure you don't mean the SD-1 (the yellow Super Overdrive) ?

Yes, the Boss DS-1. Wasn't sure there was a difference between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal.

Rocktane

Reaction score
On Red 1, the SD-1 mostly. For a different flavor and more low end, the MXR CBM OD.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Yes, the Boss DS-1. Wasn't sure there was a difference between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal.

what?? of course there's a difference. haven't you played both before? a distortion pedal is really meant to be its own source of distortion played with an amp's clean channel, where as an overdrive pedal can be either played with the clean channel to add a little boost & grit, or it can be used with an amp's gain channel, to tighten up the amp's distortion and add some sustain, and harmonic richness.

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
what?? of course there's a difference. haven't you played both before? a distortion pedal is really meant to be its own source of distortion played with an amp's clean channel, where as an overdrive pedal can be either played with the clean channel to add a little boost & grit, or it can be used with an amp's gain channel, to tighten up the amp's distortion and add some sustain, and harmonic richness.

For what it's worth, when I was younger I had no idea there was a difference either. When I got my first tube amp I was totally bummed out because there was no where near the saturation that I had grown accustomed to on my solid state amps. Back then I wanted full balls out distortion, and when I played a tube amp it seemed so dull. Thought it was silly to drop over a thousand dollars on an amp, but then need a pedal to get it to sound as 'good' as a solid state :D

Ok...so I've grown up since then and learned a few things about tone along the way. But....as a young lad, I had no idea what the purpose of an OD pedal was, and I didn't know how it differed from a distortion pedal.

Frankly...thank God for this site....I had been playing for over 20 years when stumbled upon this place, and in a few years I've learned more about tone and amps than I did in my previous two decades :yesway:

EndGame00

Reaction score
You might wanna take a look at older Suhr Koko Boost on ebay or craiglist .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-OZyDo9E8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-OZyDo9E8[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qRmHKi5igc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qRmHKi5igc[/ame]

The newer Koko ReLoaded boost only has one-button footswitch as opposed the older version.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
The ultimate overdrive experience ...

hot-tubes-70-albums-onfloor-audio-pedals-picture9476-dsc05052.jpg

Jay Low

Reaction score
Well, it depends on how I set up my DSL. I have two approaches, depending whether I will need some real clean sounds or not on the gig I'm playing.

If I need cleans (e.g. for some funk/disco), I set my green channel on Clean setting with preamp gain pretty high. It will give clean sounds with a strat but will have some early breakup with humbuckers. On top of that I use either Boss OD-3 or SD-1 to give me a nice crunch rhythm tone. The red ch in mode 1 with the gain pretty low will work fine as a lead sound.

If I won't be needing crystal cleans, I will get my basic crunch from the green channel and my leads from the red ch mode 1, both with the gain at around 6. I will get some clean-enough sounds by rolling back the volume on my gtr. If I want to push the preamp a bit more, I often use an EHX Soul Food with low drive settings. Adds nice extra gain and compression to the sound while still remaining defined and crisp. Sometimes I choose SD-1 for this application, too. This is my go-to setup with my 50W Jubilee as well.

Works great, you basically have four "channels" with just one OD and a channel switch.

flyfish-mt

Reaction score
I got a good ole' SD-1 on the front end and a GE-7 in the loop......Does the trick!

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
Right now I'm using a Bad Monkey and a EHX Soul Food through my DSL40C's Green clean and crunch channel with some great results. A combination of these two pedals and toggling between clean and crunch gets me most of the sounds I'm looking for.

poeman33

Reaction score
None. Lead one has more than enough gain for me. And I've played with the settings enough so that it's not a huge difference when you switch. I have Lead one a bit louder, so I use it like a boost pedal. It also cleans up pretty well with the guitar's volume knob.