Dsl100h Not A "real Marshall"?

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gutch220

Reaction score
Some people think that when these companies move some production over seas they just make some phone calls and begin getting product from an established factory. Maybe they do this with toys, or individual parts that they've been making, but this isn't the case when companies set-up the factories from the ground up, own the place, over see quality control, etc, etc. You see, no matter WHERE the amp is made whether it be USA, UK, China, etc....the electronic components are all made in China, so it makes sense to 'put it together' there rather than ship over the parts and put it together here. Chinese (Vietnamese, etc.) people are not stupid, they know how to build things, and if they fuck up they 'disappear' because that's the way they do things over there. No need to have a westerner superiority complex. Remember, Americans made shit cars in the 80's.
For the most part, the older stuff was awesome and made with attention to quality, and many people give this stuff 'nostalgia' points from the good ol' days, which is fine, but the newer stuff (last 20 years or so) hasn't had to stand the test of time yet, or looked back on with decades of experience. If the present day gear IS quality and stands the test of time and lasts long enough (and is desirable enough) to be played 40-50 years from now, people will hold them in high regard. Just my $0.02

From the looks of things now, it looks like the future is going to be all digital modeling equipment where you can download speakers, cabinets, effects, etc.....play through a computer with house speakers where everything is modeled. And people in their 20's-30's now will be the old guys talking about how much better DSL's sound while a 17 year old is downloading a 1959 with 20 different cabinet/speaker options because real 1959's from 100 years ago are all in museums or $20,000.

end user

Reaction score
Some people think that when these companies move some production over seas they just make some phone calls and begin getting product from an established factory. Maybe they do this with toys, or individual parts that they've been making, but this isn't the case when companies set-up the factories from the ground up, own the place, over see quality control, etc, etc. You see, no matter WHERE the amp is made whether it be USA, UK, China, etc....the electronic components are all made in China, so it makes sense to 'put it together' there rather than ship over the parts and put it together here. Chinese (Vietnamese, etc.) people are not stupid, they know how to build things, and if they fuck up they 'disappear' because that's the way they do things over there. No need to have a westerner superiority complex. Remember, Americans made shit cars in the 80's.
For the most part, the older stuff was awesome and made with attention to quality, and many people give this stuff 'nostalgia' points from the good ol' days, which is fine, but the newer stuff (last 20 years or so) hasn't had to stand the test of time yet, or looked back on with decades of experience. If the present day gear IS quality and stands the test of time and lasts long enough (and is desirable enough) to be played 40-50 years from now, people will hold them in high regard. Just my $0.02

From the looks of things now, it looks like the future is going to be all digital modeling equipment where you can download speakers, cabinets, effects, etc.....play through a computer with house speakers where everything is modeled. And people in their 20's-30's now will be the old guys talking about how much better DSL's sound while a 17 year old is downloading a 1959 with 20 different cabinet/speaker options because real 1959's from 100 years ago are all in museums or $20,000.

Very well said and all true. Thats hard to argue with for sure.

Marcell

Reaction score
I don't set the difference..
When it's made in the UK they use Chinees caps diodes and resistors. Transformers is a different story..But if they make the model in the UK it's a real Marshall. Of they make it overseas.. it's not a "real" Marshall anymore. It's a Marshall design, with their own specs. Who cares who put it together. The design is UK. Real Marshall.
A Ferrari is not a real Fiat.. But is made by Fiat .. A real Ferrari is made by Ferrari. So the new Ferrari's are not real Ferrari's anymore. How far do you want to go.

Gutch220

Reaction score
^ what if the factory was built by Marshall, and Marshall supplies the same transformers?
Is a Toyota built in the US, Japanese or American? It doesn't really matter anymore? I think what you are referring to (which is a good point) is the difference between production models, and 'boutique' models built in small numbers by different brands of the same company. The Fiat-Ferrari comparison is like Fender-Squire......same parent company, different brands. Nobody will say a Squire is a Fender, but a MIM Fender is still a Fender even though it's not a custom-shop model. But really it's up to the individual person. Some people will say A Marshall is only Marshall if it was made before 1970, under a full moon, on a leap year, in a factory built on an old graveyard managed by a drunken Leprechaun.

Marcell

Reaction score
May point: does it really matter what others say about the DSL .. If you like it... fine. If you don't like it try something else.
I have a Fender strat made in Mexico..it is a real Fender..Imo it sucks.. this particular strat. Someone else May like it.

end user

Reaction score
Really I was just curious. I am not whining about it. Stuff like this intrigues me. For instance take Crate and Peavey amps. They are stigmatized in general. Why though? Sure they have both made some terrible models but so have what I call the Big 3. Fender, Marshall and Mesa all have terrible models, ok models and great models. So does Crate and Peavey. This might be heresy to say this here but I would put my Crate Palomino up against any 50w JCM800 or 900 every day of the week and hang with them at every turn. It just says "CRATE" on the front..

I just love Marshall amps not just for the tone and feel but the aesthetics too! Nothing says " I kick ass" like a Marshall half or full stack behind you on stage. IMHO.

anitoli

Reaction score
Unless the $2000+ British made tube heads start flying off the shelves don't expect this to change any time soon. Consumers vote with their wallets and this is what they voted for. Cheap Marshall Amps.

Reaction score
Sounds real enough to me when I set the volume to 3 and it sounds so huge it drowns out everyone but the drummer almost completely. Funny thing is it sounds so good nobody even complains. I could have afforded any setup but I choose 2 dsl100h heads in stereo. They give me the sound I want. The fact that I got each one with JJs for 500 bucks each is just a bonus.

anitoli

Reaction score
My friend bought a used MA and i checked it over an IMO the build quality is better on these than the 2000 series.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds real enough to me when I set the volume to 3 and it sounds so huge it drowns out everyone but the drummer almost completely. Funny thing is it sounds so good nobody even complains. I could have afforded any setup but I choose 2 dsl100h heads in stereo. They give me the sound I want. The fact that I got each one with JJs for 500 bucks each is just a bonus.
That is the same way I run my white ones, and when I need a bit more punch I use the mosfet, coming from from one of the 40c’s fx send to instrument in on the mosfet, and when I run this way I like red 2 ultra !

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
And this is how it sounds, at bedroom volume, it does get much better when you turn it up to 3.5 and above!! Cheers Mitch. :band::cheers: