Dsl100h Not A "real Marshall"?

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. My only wish is: I’d gladly pay $100-200 more for the amps if they came with higher-quality components (cab material is of the utmost importance) and a few extra features (e.g., switchable modes on each channel on the lower-wattage DSLs; the low-volume compensation switch on my 6100, which eliminates fizz at lower volumes, is fantastic and should, in my opinion, be standard feature on all Marshalls). This would still keep the Vietnam line of amps relatively affordable, but would be more consistent with the quality we expect of the Marshall brand. Marshalls Amps should not be associated with budget quality. They are serious pieces of gear that represent a serious investment for any musician. For those who want extreme affordability, that’s what the solid state line is for.

Agreed....

mcblink

Reaction score
I guess I hadn't really thought of the cab aspect. I can see how this may be the (some of, at least) difference

I already had a (1960A) cab to put my 100H on, I didn't need to buy the cheaper Vietnamese cabinet.

Maybe that's why I never hear some of this fizz I keep reading about. Pedal platform? Nah, not this guy, no thanks. Didn't use any when I bought it and only use a TS now, but even then sparingly.

I find the green crunch channel, boosted with the TS, to get pretty fuckin' growly. And plenty midrangey, too. I'm sure it would do even better with some greenbacks in the '60A

Maybe mine's just older already and was built by different, less apt children?

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
The way I see it, Marshall has their own factory in Vietnam, similar to Fenders factory in Mexico. Those mim Fenders give their American counterpart a real run for their money. They are great sounding, quality made guitars....for less than half the price of USA built Fenders.

When you consider how much more it takes to make these products here in the US or over there in the UK,....much higher wages, (and taxes and insurance that go along with those higher wages),....many more regulations....higher insurance....higher taxes, (especially in the UK), etc. etc. etc. The best thing about this whole thing is Marshall, Fender and others pass on some of savings to the consumers.

So many of us who otherwise would not be able to afford thousands of $ for Marshall....are able to afford to spend 5, 6, 7+ hundreds of $ and get a brand new Marshall that is well made and sounds great!

That’s a great thing imo!
True. My friend though has the 75 and 68 custom Deluxe Reverbs and they're always in the shop. Not so with my Viet Namese Vox. Totally reliable as I'm confident the HR would be.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I already had a (1960A) cab to put my 100H on, I didn't need to buy the cheaper Vietnamese cabinet.

Maybe that's why I never hear some of this fizz I keep reading about.
That is correct. I recently replaced the stock speakers in my DSL15C and DSL20CR with a Vintage 30 and G12T-75, respectively, and that completely solved the fizz issue. Now whenever I set Master Volume on 2.5 or above, the fizz is gone. Before I replaced the speaker, I replaced the Marshall-branded JJs in the preamp with new JJs, and that also helped tamed the fizz and also reduced hiss and white noise in my DSL15C.

Last edited:

jericbrazier

Reaction score
I don't think it's a Vietnam thing why the dsl's are not called "real" marshalls as much as not sounding like a classic marshall thing. They are more compressed, bass heavy, high gain and semi scooped. The midrange frequency has been changed from the classic Marshall midrange not having that clanky chimey grind like the older Marshalls did. It's more so a voicing thing rather than a Vietnam thing in my book. People don't like change...but it is a sign of the times. Still a great budget amp none the less. I actually prefer a jcm900dr and that amp gets more crap than even the dsls. I don't care. People think if it's not a jcm 800 it must suck. I laugh...I got over the "800" thing years ago...if you like it play it and don't look back!
I get what your saying. It’s funny, I’ve found I can get really close to all the classic Marshall sounds with my DSL40C. It does take knowing how to dial in your amp (not a dig at you, but at the, if it ain’t a 800 or earlier model, it’s not a real Marshall guy’s), and with a EQ pedal I can get in the ballpark of a lot of other amps.
Ymmv, of course, but I mostly play a ‘96 Lester through the dsl40c, and there’s ALOT of midrange in my signal. Btw, my mids knob is only set to 11 o’clock, bass 9:30, treble at 7:30, presence at 12, and resonance at 8:00. I love mids!

jericbrazier

Reaction score
I agree! Yes, the New DSL 20H with added modes-big thumbs up for that! I do however really like my little DSL 20H into my Bogner 21C w/Creamback 65's. Sounds better than any Marshall I have ever played, IMHO. The cab has a lot to do with that though. Yes, I would gladly pay a little more for better features. I think Marshall should do their big boy 100 watters at home and then experiment more with their Vietnam series and try some new things out. They could use the Vietnam amps too see how the trends are going before committing to a big boy English made design.
The problem is, if I’m looking at spending over $2k on an amp that gives Marshall tone, I’m probably buying a Bogner, Splawn, or Friedman instead, ymmv.

Last edited:

end user

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion when it comes to guitar gear like anything else people have their mind set on something and they're not going to change their minds.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
When it comes to audio there are a lot of cases where people are listening with their eyes through the veil of price...
True, but also the DSL is really similar to the original JCM 2000 which doesn't exactly have the 800 sound. Looking at the schematics it's very different. I can't see how the classic Marshall sound this guy's looking for would be there. Good sounds, sure, but not precisely that one.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
True, but also the DSL is really similar to the original JCM 2000 which doesn't exactly have the 800 sound. Looking at the schematics it's very different. I can't see how the classic Marshall sound this guy's looking for would be there. Good sounds, sure, but not precisely that one.
The only amp that’s going to “precisely” give JCM800 tone is a JCM800. Plus, the JCM2000’s sound different from the second generation DSL’s, that sound differently than the current DSLr’s.
I don’t think anyone claimed the DSL’s can “precisely” cop an 800, but it can get pretty effing close. Nobody in the audience would be able to tell.
I’m not trying to say they’re the same, but they are closer than most 800 players would care to admit.

Last edited:

jericbrazier

Reaction score
The problem is, if I’m looking at spending over $2k on an amp that gives Marshall tone, I’m probably buying a Bogner, Splawn, or Friedman instead, ymmv.
That’s cool. I need a 100 watt head like I need a brain tumor. My 40 watt will more than handle any gig, and doesn’t sound like a “small amp”. I love it. I’ve loved it for 5+ years. She’s a great amp.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s cool. I need a 100 watt head like I need a brain tumor. My 40 watt will more than handle any gig, and doesn’t sound like a “small amp”. I love it. I’ve loved it for 5+ years. She’s a great amp.
Mine also, if I had all the unlimited funds, which I don’t, I would run s pair of 1987xl’s, but you all know what I have! And I have no complaints about any of it and my ears like what I hear just fine, ymmv!! Cheers Mitch

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score

If you can find your way through the labyrinth that are the JCM2000 DSL schematics I'm impressed.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Mine also, if I had all the unlimited funds, which I don’t, I would run s pair of 1987xl’s, but you all know what I have! And I have no complaints about any of it and my ears like what I hear just fine, ymmv!! Cheers Mitch
Funny, the guy’s who own DSL’s love them, not talking about the new “r” version, and the guys who don’t play them, hate on them

thunderstruck507

Reaction score
The only amp that’s going to “precisely” give JCM800 tone is a JCM800. Plus, the JCM2000’s sound different from the second generation DSL’s, that sound differently than the current DSLr’s.
I don’t think anyone claimed the DSL’s can “precisely” cop an 800, but it can get pretty effing close. Nobody in the audience would be able to tell.
I’m not trying to say they’re the same, but they are closer than most 800 players would care to admit.

I would agree the TSL and DSL either one could get close enough that in a mix no person in the audience would be able to tell.

The biggest differences are things that are apparent when messing around alone. Extra punch and a more open uncompressed tone being the 2 most prominent differences. To a lesser extent the extra mid range growl.

Anyone who says a TSL or DSL (JCM 2000 or the newer ones) isn't a "real Marshall" is just an asshole.

Now the Code is another story. (this is a sarcastic joke before anyone gets too upset)

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree the TSL and DSL either one could get close enough that in a mix no person in the audience would be able to tell.

The biggest differences are things that are apparent when messing around alone. Extra punch and a more open uncompressed tone being the 2 most prominent differences. To a lesser extent the extra mid range growl.

Anyone who says a TSL or DSL (JCM 2000 or the newer ones) isn't a "real Marshall" is just an asshole.

Now the Code is another story. (this is a sarcastic joke before anyone gets too upset)
If all I had was a code , I am sure I could dial it in to a tone that would sound good!! Cheers Mitch