DSL100H vs JCM800 2203

• Thread starter Easton55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
I own a DSL 100, made in Vietnam. What I've learned is that it is an amazing amp.
About me, I'm 60 years old, been playing guitar for 50 of those years. Had many amps, and finally bought my dream amp. Well things didn't go good when I blasted it.
WTF did I buy?. A piece of expensive junk? My dream was crushed.

One year later, I've learned all the controls, My dream nightmare has now been transformed into the best investment I've ever done.

The DSL 100H combined with a 240 watt 4x12 cab is really a remarkable amp.
Loud crisp tones, once you learn the settings, and learn the strings you buy for your guitar, it does make a difference.

Marshall, best buy I ever made!!!!!
Yes the crunch is awesome, biased proper and the right tubes. Great cleans and the red kicks ass and no pedals needed! hard to beat. I enjoy it over most of the amps I owned. Would love a 800 some day.

Last edited:

209Noodles

Reaction score
Curious as to what people are seeing price wise for a JCM 2000 DSL. Saw one in my local Craig's List and always wanted one. He's asking $600 and based on the photos, looks like it is from the year 2000.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Curious as to what people are seeing price wise for a JCM 2000 DSL. Saw one in my local Craig's List and always wanted one. He's asking $600 and based on the photos, looks like it is from the year 2000.

That's about average. I've seen some lower and some higher. The new DSL models have made the prices fluctuate a little but they're still great priced amps.

Ken

Reaction score

They sell for $500 with no issues. I would pay $550 for a minty example.

Ken

Adrian R

Reaction score
This is a long standing debate that is nearly as old as this forum itself.

The RI 2203X is a GREAT amp. It is built in England and to spec as it was when it was being mfg. as a current product.

The DSL100H was built in Vietnam...Combine this wtih more cost saving production practices and you have a FAR cheaper amp..even despite the additional features the DSL provides.

In short, the 2203X is more a quality built amp.

The DSL in it's stock form with a few tweaks can get you close to the sound and *feel* of a 2203. A couple key mods and you'll get very close, but then you have more features.

I've owned JMPs, 800s, 900s..I like my modded DSLs BY far more!:D

Adrian R

Reaction score
Depends on who you ask. There are fanboys and girls for everything. :lol:

I say DSL100H, then toss a choke and a classic tone OT in there and off ya go. OLD School marshall sound with new school tech.

Been saying this for awhile now...It's really the best of both worlds...more 'old school Marshall' tone AND feel (this is key)..yet with modern features...and for still less then what a 30+ year old amp will cost you.:cool:

RobLaQuinta

Reaction score
For what it's worth...

I tried a bunch of DSL100H amps in a few different Guitar Centers around the west. All sounded different, beyond the sound of the different rooms, and none sounded as good as the JCM 800s I've tried.

So, when I bought my 1988 JCM 800 2205 on eBay for $450, I felt like I got a rockin' deal.

Don't give up on the JCM. I still see them on eBay for less than the cost of a new DSL.

RobLaQuinta

Reaction score
Not in all cases...
I mean...no matter what age it is or how long you wait....a 1984 Chevette or a Honda will NEVER be 'classic' cars.
My 1984 Honda Civic was a classic! Do you have any idea how many times I...

Never mind.

From someone who owns a DSL and has played the 800... you wont get an 800 sound unless its from an 800 :)
Agreed. Also, don't be too gun shy about buying a used 800 from Craigslist or from a private party. The box, transformers, chassis and the circuit board are the heart. The tubes, semi-conductors and capacitors can all be replaced if the PC board and chassis are intact. I had very good luck buying my JCM 800 on Craigslist, I even negotiated them down to half their asking price of $900.

temporarychicken

Reaction score
The 2203 is the creme de l creme of Marshall's history.

The re-issue is expensive but I would say it's worth it.

The DSL 100 will get you 90ish percent of the way there but if money is an object then a TSL100 is cheap as chips and the crunch channel is 90ish percent also.

Any twin channel 3 tube preamp amp will always compromise something somewhere and never recreate the 2203 perfectly.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
If you playing in a band with another guitar, the DSL100H with a OD in front can do the solo boost thing, having two channels live is nice.
The 2203 will just crush the other guitar player. With a loop installed you can put a solo boost for the 2203 then fade back to give the other person some room to be heard.
If you can find a nice 800 do it, but the 100H is a good amp. I like my DSL100H better than my DSL 2000. I am still putting mods in the 2000, the 100H just needed a tube upgrade and the sound was there.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I would have to vote 2203. Original or reissue. That being said the DSL is a great amp for the money.

dreyn77

Reaction score
How about thinking of the sound you'd like to use.
The dsl should be able to add more warmth to the Marshall sound. Is that good for you, or bad?
The 800 isn't competing with the dsl's sounds. You would be in a better position to make the choice if you had 10more years of using experience.
If you play the 800, then you're rejecting a lot of features or love carrying lots of gear.
The JVM sits at home, the DSLH can be taken anywhere and be lost of broken, cause nobody cares about it.
The DSLH won't do late era Hendrix or randy roads types of sounds, cause there's no scooped sounds.
If you buy the dsl, you'll endup getting a jvm.
If you get the 800 you might also endup with a jvm amp.
All guitarists keep moving onto new toys.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
DSLs are great amps, flexible and reliable, the 2000s anyway, I can't speak for the Vietnam ones (I've owned 2 JCM2000 DSLs).

However if you've ever played an 800 2203 at a decent volume or with a band, it's just an awesome, awesome amp. It's not just the tone, it's the presence and power of it.

The DSL can come close to the sound of an 800 on the green channel, crunch. It cannot however match the balls or the straight up "fuck you" of an 800. Period.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DSLs are great amps, flexible and reliable, the 2000s anyway, I can't speak for the Vietnam ones (I've owned 2 JCM2000 DSLs).

However if you've ever played an 800 2203 at a decent volume or with a band, it's just an awesome, awesome amp. It's not just the tone, it's the presence and power of it.

The DSL can come close to the sound of an 800 on the green channel, crunch. It cannot however match the balls or the straight up "fuck you" of an 800. Period.
Well put. And on the money.

chiliphil1

Reaction score

This guy nailed it.

chucke

Reaction score

Now you're talking...

2203 =

More low end crunch that you feel in the chest.
More responsive to picking dynamics for lead work. Better pinch harmonics. You can really get these bitches to scream when you want them to. :hbang:

chucke

Reaction score
:facepalm::facepalm:

I use both ...
Dude, I had the same Charvel back in the 80's.

Don't laugh at the bandana and blue stretch strap. It was the fucking 80's. :facepalm:

I can't believe that I posted that picture...

Attachments

• 80's charvel.jpeg
    80's charvel.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: