DSL40CR: Interesting Painter's Tape Fix: Update - Removed tape - No pot of gold

• Thread starter Stubbyj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
1. Do any of you have pictures of what a repair like this should look like?

Google images for "fix trace pcb". There are different ways of going about it. Bridging the trace with a piece of wire, flooding the track with solder after exposing it, bypassing that trace entirely (presumably with wire or a component otherwise located "on" the trace), etc.

2. Approximate cost to have it redone correctly?

$50 - 100 seems a reasonable range, but I do my work myself. Where are you located; I'd charge two Guinness for that one. :)

Stubbyj

Reaction score
Google images for "fix trace pcb". There are different ways of going about it. Bridging the trace with a piece of wire, flooding the track with solder after exposing it, bypassing that trace entirely (presumably with wire or a component otherwise located "on" the trace), etc.

$50 - 100 seems a reasonable range, but I do my work myself. Where are you located; I'd charge two Guinness for that one. :)
Thanks for the offer, but I'm near St. Paul in Minnesota (USA). Two?! I'd buy you a case my friend.

TheKman76

Reaction score

All of these have merit, but I tend to favour bypassing the trace and running a new wire from through-hole to though-hole. This way someone else can clearly see what's been done *and* why I've done it. Also has the benefit of being flexible.

Honestly, if it's working don't worry too much. It's a low voltage trace anyway. Anytime someone opens your amp there's a risk something else might be damaged, a tube broken, a pot banged on a bench, soldering iron damage to a component, etc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sure, I'd be pedantic enough to do it better, but I do my own repairs and accept that risk because it costs me nothing. Does it make sense for you to have a pro fix it again when it works?

Stubbyj

Reaction score
I ended up keeping the amp. A local amp builder thinks someone reversed a mod and if it's working not to worry about it. The store took and additional $200 off so I feel comfortable with it. These things are $1,050 new so I'm all-in for under .5 that.

I'm still learning the amp but so far view it as a wonderful dive-bar noise maker. Can't go wrong really.