Eddie Van Halen Reveals He Straight Up Lied About His Early Amps

• Thread starter ESPVH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ESPVH

Reaction score
bnvnm.jpg

I'm with the old Eddie, who is this new Eddie?
Nah, just kidding, love the new stuff, and for the man who inspired more guitarists, and has gone through divorce, cancer & alchohollism, here's to you Eddie! Thanks for everything & keep it coming!

Now for some Holy Grail TONE!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwWpPY6x-cY[/ame]

dreyn77

Reaction score
every time I see a photo of this guy, he's totally different. he's had so many different faces over the years, maybe there are lots of eddies?
HEY where's Zachman? is he eddie too?
Why not use a 'boost' pedal - it's all voltage! + and - which = sinewave, which is made larger to move a speaker.
If you want more u just add more.
no need to turn things down, that = less gain. (less voltage) reference to variac.
valves are made to op at a voltage, no point turning it down, the valve won't be glowing as hot.
Do they talk like this in the 'Funk' music industry, how about the country, violin, saxiphone music areas?

WHY ARE WE SO picky!!!!

my voltage is SO much better than your voltage!

my box i plug into is so much better than yours!

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
Honestly I can't understand why anyone still gives a rats ass about his tone. With all of the amp/pedal/pickup options out there today, you can go make your own tone.

Don't be a sheep, become the f**king wolf!!!!!!!!!!

jwebb1970

Reaction score
If they ever do a BIOPIC of EVH...I swear Charlie sheen is a dead ringer for Eddie..:lol:

Were a biopic being made 15-20+ years ago, I would have suggested that Valerie Bertinelli play Ed. I remember my older sister, seeing a pic of Ed & Val from a People magazine back in the 80s, saying..."gee, I wonder what their kids will look like?" Seriously - they looked kinda similar...and had the same hair.

strat59

Reaction score
You want my tone?
bvoris-albums-other-picture7217-fuck-you-slash.jpeg

LOL

Good grief , there's another all time overated guitarist. Does he actually have a tone coz all it sounds like to me is a generic Les Paul / Marshall tone.
IMHO very much a case of Image over substance.

I'd take Billy Duffy's playing & tone anyday

strat59

Reaction score
i bet if ANYTHING he just used an OD for a boost but dimed the gain on the boost as well as the amp.

that's really what it sounds like to me. a plexi ran hard with a boost ran hard.

Spot on. He would drop into local music stores and pick up cheap ass O/D pedals and use the ones he liked with the Plexi.

The O/D + PAF + Plexi + His Technique & Skill = EVH's early tone

Dmann

Reaction score
Well.... I'd be smiling in every photo too, knowing that the gear doesn't really have as much to do with tone as the person playing it, and getting endorsed to make money of people buying your signature gear....lol

Kinda like hockey players endorsing skates and sticks, buying those skates and sticks are not going to make you play hockey as good as the pro, it will however help them have a really early retirement.

SwampThing

Reaction score
"HEY where's Zachman? is he eddie too?"

Not cool dude. Zach is a Friend of mine. I frequent his shop, he's helped me with amp problems and my playing. He's a standup dude. 100% great guy. I dont know what your beef with him is but trashin someone online let alone comparing them to EVH's ego is fuckin weak. The guy would give you the shirt off his back to help someone out. Get over yourself and stop being a fucking internet troll.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

Not cool dude. Zach is a Friend of mine. I frequent his shop, he's helped me with amp problems and my playing. He's a standup dude. 100% great guy. I dont know what your beef with him is but trashin someone online let alone comparing them to EVH's ego is fuckin weak. The guy would give you the shirt off his back to help someone out. Get over yourself and stop being a fucking internet troll.
+1.

Zachman's a good man in my book. He's honest so maybe people don't like that? That's a big reason WHY i like him though myself.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
Well.... I'd be smiling in every photo too, knowing that the gear doesn't really have as much to do with tone as the person playing it, and getting endorsed to make money of people buying your signature gear....lol

Kinda like hockey players endorsing skates and sticks, buying those skates and sticks are not going to make you play hockey as good as the pro, it will however help them have a really early retirement.

meh...
If you can play the notes - and - have the exact same gear you're 95% there
But I would admit the gear is the easy part of the equation
This magical tone business is half bullsh!t half ego
The only people who give a flying lizard dick about TONE are other guitarists

:lol: By quality gear , play with intensity = and you'll have all the tone you need

KISS NATION

Reaction score
why is everyone shocked by this?
I had a hard time explaining this to my girlfriends sister a while ago.
she is a big fan of grunge music and death metal. she can't play for shit and she has no idea what she is doing even though I have tried to teach her a few times.
she seems to think that if she buys the expensive gear that her favourite bands have been photographed with in various magazines, she will be able to play and sound just like them. maybe that would be the case with someone who could actually play, but it certainly wouldn't help her.

I tried to explain that in most cases, a band won't use most of the equipment brands they are photographed with. they will be paid to have their photo taken with certain brands of equipment to make everyone believe that they really use it, and to make everyone buy that equipment of course.
wasn't it pointed out a while ago that a lot of bands will have other branded heads and speakers put in to the cabs of other amps to make them look different? I know that status quo use marshall JCM 800 heads and they also use Vox AC30 heads that have been made to fit in the 800 cabs.

I also heard somewhere that quite a few bands would have one brand of amp on stage with them, to make it look like they were using that amp. but the real amps they were plugged in to would be back stage plugged in to the PA system where no one could see them.
it's all very dishonest if you ask me.

if I was the lead guitarist from any one of the popular big bands, and people wanted to know exactly how to play my songs, what gear I was playing with, what pedals and amp I was using, and what settings I had the pedals and amp on, I would be more than happy to tell them.
because if people want to know all that information, that must mean that my music is really something special to these people. to be honest I would be overjoyed to know that out of all the music these people could learn to play, they picked mine.

I would be more than happy to share everything with anyone who wanted to know. I certainly wouldn't lie to people. that's just wrong.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

As I said before. This guy LOVES to stir up shit.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance/age but these guys really get respect in guitar circles? Keep in mind my only experience with ZZ is from those cheesy MTV videos when I was a kid. "She's got legs....."

live4.jpg

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance/age but these guys really get respect in guitar circles? Keep in mind my only experience with ZZ is from those cheesy MTV videos when I was a kid. "She's got legs....."

live4.jpg

Your ignorance cannot be pardoned i'm sorry...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZBKQpY1pis]ZZ Top - Brown Sugar (Original 1971 Vinyl Mix) - YouTube[/ame]

This is real ZZ Top. Much in the same way as 'MTV Aeorosmith' are not the same band as the real Aerosmith that broke up in 1979.

SwampThing

Reaction score
Billy Gibbons is another great bender of the truth when it comes to gear.
The wall of Crate stacks on stage and the Tweed Deluxe parked round the back with a mic on it is a classic example.

That is true but Ive also heard the Reverend is one of the sweetest guys you could possibly run into. Theres a chasm of difference between Billy and Eddies personality.

Another known offender is Mr Dimebag Darrell. I still love him though..

SwampThing

Reaction score

live4.jpg

I understand your misgivings man, early ZZ top is the Balls- the aforementioned phot they pretty much shat the bed. Billy Gibbons can play his ass of and only plays about a quarter of what he actually knows.

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score

I see the point.
I don't think it is worth mentioning. Don't make too much of it. :)
OK, so Zachman is occasionally a bit blunt and likes to illustrate his postings with lots of pics and clips which may turn off some people but guess what?
That's good! :)
He obviously knows about his gear and has given good advice to quite a few people here including to me.
Frankly I like the guy's postings.

And then there are those people who post and whom I chose to ignore (just read past it and move on)

Gr,

Gerrit.