• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Extremely Nooby question

• Thread starter Blake1989
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
While we are toan chasing, can someone help me sound like Slash?

hahaha :D

To the OP though, you really have no reason to trust me, but please do on this one and get a JVM. :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger: I promise it will do what you want with soooo much less tweaking/hassle. You can pretty much plug in to a JVM and have instant metallica tones on OD1 orange.

The 2204 isn't really designed for that kind of music, so, while it CAN do it extremely well, it takes some tweaking, time, and patience. The JVM is BOOM! there already :dude::dude:

Plus, the JVM does SOOOO much more if you want it for other genres.

Megadeth uses the JVM by the way. While Metallica does not equal Megadeth (obviously haha), it's close tonally.

Blake1989

Reaction score
You guys are amazingly helpful, I guess I'll do the smart thing and get a JVM. A small question, which model do you recommend?

thrawn86

Reaction score
Probably a 100 watt for Metallica type stuff. They come in a 4 channel and a 2 channel version (so does the 50 watt), and each channel has some independent modes and tweaking available to it. You can do tons of stuff with them. If you can do it, get a 4 channel and that way you'll always have that available to you.

EDIT: From Musician's Friend.......
In a nutshell, the Marshall all-valve, 2-channel JVM210H 100-Watt tube head is a 2-channel version of the most versatile Marshall amplifier ever made. It also boasts more gain than any other Marshall to date—and that's really saying something.

Each of its 2 channels are completely independent of each other, and they boast 3 Modes, all 6 of which are footswitchable and feature their own unique gain structure. It makes the JVM 2-channel effectively 6 Marshalls in one.

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
Hey Blake, why don't you stop searching for someone else's tone and find one of your own. Are you going to join a Metallica cover band, Are you going to be IN Metallica, is Dave Mustardstain hitting you up for tone advice? if you answered no to any of these questions then you don't need to have KTA or RTL tone, you need BLAKE tone. I'll tell you this about that, please do me, you, and the currant HEAVY music industry a favor and DON'T SCOOP OUT YOUR MIDS! A guitar IS mids that is what you are there for, examples.......

Bass = hhhhmmmmm, Bass (weird)
Guitar = Mids.
Drums = Retard that follows the band members around.
Vocals = Retard that follows the drummer around.

It's all very simple, ya see.........:D

Blake1989

Reaction score
Haha I will do that, I understand where you're coming from, but does the JVM410h have better tone quality when compared to the 205h? Or is it the same quality just more possibilites on the 410. So many questions :S I apologize.

1337storm

Reaction score
If you are considering the JVM...
One thing to consider when chosing between the 4 or 2 channel versions is that the OD channel on the 2 channel versions is closer to OD2 on the 4 channel version.
The difference is that the OD1 has the more classic Marshall midrange going and the OD2 has a more modern voicing.
Many people over at the JVM-forum favour the OD1 over the OD2.
You can mod the OD2 to sound like OD1 if you like, but with the 4 channel version you can have both,I use both of them depending on what music we are playing.
I would definitly recommend you to go with the JVM410.
And don't over do it in the gain department, the JVM has insane amounts of gain, very easy to mush it all up.

newbies

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is volume, although my 800s sound good at low volume with a boost, jvm sounds killer at low volumes when practicing is a issue

That said I traded my jvm in for another 800, I just couldn't get that real 800 tone I desired

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I will do that, will I need OD pedals to get that Metallica tone?

Here is my JVM205 into 1960b cabinet. No pedals, just straight in.. No post EQ'ing either..

This is very close to 90's Metallica tone..

MP3 Player SoundClick

EDIT:- If your after 80's Metallica tone you can get this easy.
OD1 Orange with mids on 7 and gain on 2.. Your there :)
OR if you get the 2 channel JVM it will be OD Orange with mids on 8-9 with gain on 2.. This is with G12T-75 speakers BTW (which come in a standard 1960 a/b cabinet)

Trust me ;)

Antony75

Reaction score
Hey Blake, why don't you stop searching for someone else's tone and find one of your own. Are you going to join a Metallica cover band, Are you going to be IN Metallica, is Dave Mustardstain hitting you up for tone advice? if you answered no to any of these questions then you don't need to have KTA or RTL tone, you need BLAKE tone. I'll tell you this about that, please do me, you, and the currant HEAVY music industry a favor and DON'T SCOOP OUT YOUR MIDS! A guitar IS mids that is what you are there for, examples.......

Bass = hhhhmmmmm, Bass (weird)
Guitar = Mids.
Drums = Retard that follows the band members around.
Vocals = Retard that follows the drummer around.

It's all very simple, ya see.........:D

Best thing I ever did was dial the mids back in to my tone. My EQ was always really scooped, blindly trying to get that 80s thrash tone, but once I dialled them back in, (after reading some sage advice from this forum) my tone has never been better.

Blake1989

Reaction score
So the 410 is the only JVM with 4 channels? (OD1, OD2, and the others) Someone said earlier that the OD1 is preferred for the more classic tone, but I just don't know if it's worth the extra 700+ dollars. Probably is.

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
So the 410 is the only JVM with 4 channels? (OD1, OD2, and the others) Someone said earlier that the OD1 is preferred for the more classic tone, but I just don't know if it's worth the extra 700+ dollars. Probably is.

It's not worth $700, not by a long shot.

If your looking at buying a 210 or 410 the 410 makes sense only a couple of hundred $ difference.

But if there is $700 difference betweew a 205 and 410 (which seems a little steep) i would go the 205.

I have a 205c and a 410h, and while i like having the OD1 channel as well as the OD2 channel, i dont need it..

Blake1989

Reaction score
I know I'm asking alot of questions, but is the OD1 channel really that much better? I'm just hoping I can still get the base tone I'm looking for out of OD2(80's thrash metallica)

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I'm asking alot of questions, but is the OD1 channel really that much better? I'm just hoping I can still get the base tone I'm looking for out of OD2(80's thrash metallica)

Yes u can. I did give u settings for it earlier in the thread

Blake1989

Reaction score
Thank you Bull, I just didn't want to make the wrong decision. I appreciate everyone who gave their input. It's people like you I strive to be like.

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bull, I just didn't want to make the wrong decision. I appreciate everyone who gave their input. It's people like you I strive to be like.

Well thanks for the compliment mate :), but I certainly ain't no pro.

I fully understand u asking all u the questions u can.
Are u just going to be playing this thing at home ?

Blake1989

Reaction score
Yes it will just be at home at the moment, until I get better at guitar. I just absolutely LOVE Metallica, they've inspired me more than anything to play guitar. So I wanted to practice on their stuff mainly to get my skill up, and that's why I really wanted an amp that sounded really good for their music.

bulldozer1984

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it will just be at home at the moment, until I get better at guitar. I just absolutely LOVE Metallica, they've inspired me more than anything to play guitar. So I wanted to practice on their stuff mainly to get my skill up, and that's why I really wanted an amp that sounded really good for their music.

They are loud amps mate but they do sound great at lower volumes too. The thing u lose at low volumes is movement of the cones which IMO makes the tone a little fizzy. The best way to get their sound is to have the volume up higher than bedroom volume. Again just my opinion.

Blake1989

Reaction score
Ok so the sound is good at low levels but if I really want the Metallica feel, crank it up?