Fiddleback maple JMP2203 headshell

• Thread starter Geeze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Geeze

Reaction score
Plugged the corner block notch outs and ready to sand -

CakSbSi.jpg

As hard as this stuff is I'm starting with 60 grit. Sanded well.

FGnBXeG.jpg

y3iEBMg.jpg

0lccY8Y.jpg

hVZoLN1.jpg

Tomorrow will be rounding the edges, filling the gaps with CA and cutting the face plate and piping.

Russ

scott-colorado2016

Reaction score
Dude! I wish I had an amp chassis without a cabinet... I would pay to have you build something this beautiful for me! FAN-DAM-TASTIC!!

Geeze

Reaction score
Dude! I wish I had an amp chassis without a cabinet... I would pay to have you build something this beautiful for me! FAN-DAM-TASTIC!!

^^^ scott buys an amp chassis in 3...2...1 the GAS has engaged! lol

I was thinking -

Step one - look at the beautiful wood and imagine it in your space...
Step two - find a screw driver or allen wrench...

Sorry @coolidge56 I'm gonna dye it - twice!

Russ

Sapient

 
Reaction score
(spews drink) That was just mean spirited LOL

No, it looks fantastic, seriously. Lot's of skill and work in there too. Wood just never does it for me for some reason like tolex does. :shrug:

I think some high-grade leather incorporated into that would look great. Maybe lining the inside. Then again, there's the heat.

Last edited:

clutch71

Reaction score
I can see how square that whole thing is! So jealous of that! That grain is gonna pop!

Geeze

Reaction score
I can see how square that whole thing is! So jealous of that! That grain is gonna pop!

28 music gear [cabs / head shells & combos + lots of furniture] later I think I'm getting there. One thing my acoustic guitar building buddy said - When it's close to square [89.99°] don't make it worse by trying to fix / recut it. That and a good sled for the tablesaw.

On to today's festivities - it looks like Marshall did a 1" round over and fudged a bit on the top and bottom thinner bits inner edges - I'll do the same.

adSgbLj.jpg

OrDY9iz.jpg

I draw witness lines to keep me honest when planing and sanding.

BAXoDF6.jpg

Using a Stanley #3 plane I cut close to the 1/2" mark and then sand to it. The reason I do this rather laborious method and not a router is mostly for the tear out. Wood grain is chaotic and when planing or routing you want to go 'down hill' namely with the grain [not talking about cross cuts] so the blade is cutting 'down' and not tearing 'up' -

V1XAsNc.jpg

No shade on the router lovers but I don't like them so save your breath / electrons.

4DpY30u.jpg

Planed. On the thin edges I'll do a compound radius - 1" at the top and 3/4" at the bottom to preserve the edge geometry.

Now off to sand.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Face plate time.

Cut to fit with piping and the control panel notch cut. I have two JMP 2203's and the corner rounds are crap and a bit bigger radius than I have a forestner bit for so I drilled 'em 1-1/8". Also cut the horizontal piping notch.

yyegdOm.jpg

Test fit.

QOUGLEL.jpg

Now with a 3/4 round.

9JsUXrb.jpg

Gratuitous shot.

eSXchIa.jpg

Now on to drawing the 9" logo on the face plate.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Told you that grain would pop! Looking good!

And that's only sanded to 120.

Marshall logo time -

Gjp2msC.jpg

I use a dremel in a Stewmac plunge router rig with a 1/32" tapered bit. Milling commences -

2XA6BxL.jpg

EbvWyUQ.jpg

Some glamour shots -

xNXNkcq.jpg

gmMuokO.jpg

It occurred to m this morning that I should try the gold powder with the dye scheme to see how it looks. Gold with JMP2203's is not strictly kosher and I'm thinking a silver may look better - but alas I don't have any on hand. So one more M not routed as deep -

wS4X6fV.jpg

Filled as I impatiently wait for full cure.

4Wksury.jpg

Russ