Friedman Smallbox 50 And Nos Rca 12ax7 Tube.

• Thread starter lovehifi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lovehifi

Reaction score
My month old Friedman Smallbox 50 came with ARS 12ax7 (Chinese) tubes in V1, V2 and V3. I wanted to experiment with some different tubes in V1 which is the main gain stage tube. Not that the ARS sounded bad but just out of curiosity. So I tried a new production Tung Sol and then a Mullard (CV4004) and neither did the trick for me. Preferred the OEM ARS and was just about to put it back in when I remembered I had a couple of NOS RCA 12ax7 Short Grey Plates laying around so tried one in the V1 position. What a huge improvement! (To my ears.) It is staying right there. Really smoothed out the Plexi Channel and the BE channel. The notes seem more articulate and the gain is much more pleasing to my ears. The Smallbox 50 was already a great sounding amp but now......! I knew the NOS RCAs sound great in my 66 Super Reverb but I had no idea they would work so well in a more modern amp as a gain stage tube.

lovehifi

Reaction score
ARS are just re-branded tubes like Groove tubes, Apex and so many others.

I use RCA NOS in the PI of my Marshalls & Mullard & Amperex in the other slots.
There is no comparison between older & CP tubes IMO.
I have another RCA NOS Grey Plate. Might try that in the PI position as well.

Latest posts