Garage Guerrilla Madness

• Thread starter AlvisX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good God Alvin, what the hell have you been hitting with the mallet? :ohno:;)

The Mallet.....
Back in my Coast Guard riverboat days,86-89 ,we maintained lights like this.....'cept ours were mostly in trees then.

At one point the Seamen were all given these OD green tool bags with the basic tools needed for servicing the lights....Screwdrivers ,ratcheting 9/16 -1/2" box wrenches ,needle nose, cutters ,strippers,knife,mag lite,Leatherman when they came about ....stuff like that

My roomie just happened to be the guy who put the bags together ,and as shipmates do, we were always pullin pranks on each other

So comes the day they're handing out the bags .They're all stenciled with our names. My crew were all in on it . The boss says ,"Open em up and make sure ya got everything"

Well, I open mine up and there's THAT MALLET ! That was the ONLY tool in MY bag
We all had a huge laugh .My bag was stolen outa my truck around '94 ....BUT I still have the fckn mallet

I know it's pounded a couple HD transmission shafts , some Van wheel bearings and who knows WTF else since '86 .....

Last edited:

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Brian..................How are you?????

Remember me?

Lou/axe4me/Bbreaker:applause:

Buffy's Dead.....................about 12 years ago in your Jacksonville, Fla. office:agreed:
Hey Lou! I do remember. Your wife was going to a convention or meeting downstate, and you came up to my office in Gainesville and we jammed. That was great fun.

Are you still trucking? I hope you are doing well!

I had throat cancer about 7 years ago, and am still dealing with after-effects of radiation (had to have my jaw rebuilt a couple years ago), but otherwise am OK. We closed that firm whose office you played at in 2012, but basically I still am doing the same thing, legal research, as a sole practitioner, working from home.

Great to read you!

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Hey Lou! I do remember. Your wife was going to a convention or meeting downstate, and you came up to my office in Gainesville and we jammed. That was great fun.

Are you still trucking? I hope you are doing well!

I had throat cancer about 7 years ago, and am still dealing with after-effects of radiation (had to have my jaw rebuilt a couple years ago), but otherwise am OK. We closed that firm whose office you played at in 2012, but basically I still am doing the same thing, legal research, as a sole practitioner, working from home.

Great to read you!

Sorry to hear of your cancer.

Great that you're still doing the legal thing.

I'm out of the same day heavy trucking thing but I'm still driving for a living.

I'm on a NJ state legal/mail route in the eastern region of the state.

It's a steady gig but dealing with state employees takes a bit of getting used to.

They're not exactly a hustling bunch.

Still doing the hired gun music thing and doing fill in's.

If we RV to the Florida area, I'm hoping we can get together.

Wildeman

Reaction score
When I got my 60s style '75 Ibanez Rocket Roll, the neck pickup was DOA . So I stuck a 70s Made For Japan DiMarzio in there and stuck the dead pickup in the drawer

I don't have any kind of winding machine (although I should) ,so I just thought I'd hang on to it and one day get it to some friends who have winding capabilities

Finally got tired of opening the drawer and lookin at it ....Let's open this sumb*tch up !
So I carefully opened her up. Pulling the 45 yr old coil tape off in the "sweat lodge" (my non-climate controlled work space in New Orleans ) was a nervous operation...kinda like disarming a bomb
But I got the tape off AND whaddya know...... all the magnet wire end were INTACT. A couple ends had just come detached from the leader wires over time

So to the nervous operation of re-soldering and taping that sh*t back up.......and evolution that can just as easily kill a pickup...at least it has with my nervous hands

Not sure if Ibanez had a name for these . Electra called 'em ,Magnaflux... All those guitars were comin from the same place anyway
Magnaflux , sounds like a 60s TV set .....

I didn't have my easy in / easy out Hondo pickup tester guitar around . This Cortez LP Copy was the only humbucking guitar in reach so I stuck it in there for testing ....but I might leave it

Sound any good?

Madfinger

Reaction score
My favourite is a old MIJ Tele over 2 other guitars 3 times the price. Maybe a bit of the underdog thing as well as it just feels good to play & sounds good.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound any good?

Yeah
Im real happy with it ....the fact that I was able to get it get it back to workin', and that it sounds so good

I like to have sort of period correct Japanese pickups in my old MIJ guitars. Of course not all the MIJ pickups are great ,some are absolute trash . But this one sounds great. I just bought another one

The magnet seems a little narrower than a normal humbucker mag...but wider than a mini hum mag
I thought they would be ceramic, but they're alnico
I have a load of disassembled MIJ pickups that use that same coil

Wildeman

Reaction score
Right on. I love how alot of old Japanese pickups sound, usually microphonic with a ton of personality. Most of my favorite old pickups have little or no wax in them, newer pickups...you don't get much choice, they all use wax. I do dig some newer pickups though, TV Jones, Seymour, DiMarzio..all good.

Wildeman

Reaction score
One of the best pickup's ive ever heard, burgled from a late '50s Nippon Gakki guitar, now in my brothers Silvertone/Harmony.20191007_153040.jpg

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on. I love how alot of old Japanese pickups sound, usually microphonic with a ton of personality. Most of my favorite old pickups have little or no wax in them, newer pickups...you don't get much choice, they all use wax. I do dig some newer pickups though, TV Jones, Seymour, DiMarzio..all good.

I gave the Magnaflux a quick dip .....I could tell ,it needed it . There was nothing really holding em together except for that open black metal cover

It's funny , they have these shims that go on the top of the bobbin ....makes em look like an oval Gibson bobbin though they're not.

I dig these off the 70s Univox guitars. This one was DOA too ,but I got it back to workin
They're ceramic,but about 7.7k, so they're not spikey