Gut Shot Of Bja's #1 Marshall

• Thread starter thecasterkid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kutt

Reaction score
Billie Joe Armstrong and Randy Rhoads discussed on the same thread... Never thought that would happen! A Marshall is about the only thing those two have in common. :)

Hogwild

Reaction score
Yes, Portland, OR. You have to contact him through L.A. Sound Design.

Ranger

Reaction score
The schematic is out there and easy to find.

I have seen the guts of Billie's amps and I can tell you that none of the schematics floating around online is correct. Furthermore you have to tweak your amp by ear, not by schematic. Billie's using the reissues from the 90s with the Dagnall C2668 OT. The modern reissues will sound a bit tinnier. I can confirm that the mod cascades the first two stages, but with several tricks.

liontato

Reaction score
Tinnier because of the cheaper metal used today. And all of the rohs compliance in the parts today.
I have seen the guts of Billie's amps and I can tell you that none of the schematics floating around online is correct. Furthermore you have to tweak your amp by ear, not by schematic. Billie's using the reissues from the 90s with the Dagnall C2668 OT. The modern reissues will sound a bit tinnier. I can confirm that the mod cascades the first two stages, but with several tricks.

Ranger

Reaction score
Tinnier because of the cheaper metal used today. And all of the rohs compliance in the parts today.
Don't get me wrong. I don't wanna say the newer reissues sound bad. It's just something different and you have to keep that in mind when voicing the amp.

liontato

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I don't wanna say the newer reissues sound bad. It's just something different and you have to keep that in mind when voicing the amp.
I fully understand what you are saying. I've heard it when a/b'ing amps. Vintage amps are special in tone for sure.

JM5010

Reaction score
Little late to the thread but this amp definitely has no bright cap on the second stage. Also, the P.I coupling caps are not stock. They are big and fat, which i believe to be 0.68uF caps.

I think the mod would work best with the Dagnall C2668 OT like the user a few posts above me mentioned.