Gut Shot Of Bja's #1 Marshall

• Thread starter thecasterkid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thecasterkid

Reaction score
Billie Joe Armstrong's tech shared this the other day:

What can you tell me about the mods from this photo?

Here's a back shot:

This is the infamous "dookie" Marshall. Incredible tone. thanks!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Yeah, it's kinda tough to see inside. In the rear, it looks like an effects loop was added with "send," "return," and "send level" labels attached. I'm not sure, but there might be another pcb kinda "floating" above the main pcb-perhaps for the added effects loop? Maybe a master volume and gain control added, but it's hard to see the front panel. There's also a little knob added next to the speaker output jack, but not sure what this is or if it even works.

Interesting amp. Thanks for sharing the pics.

thecasterkid

Reaction score
So there is definitely a MV added, as well as an effects loop. Not knowing much about internals of amps, I was just curious if this was a good enough picture to show an amp guy and say "do this to my amp." I believe it was originally modded by Bob Bradshaw and then again by Martin Golub.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Yeah, if there is a master volume added and a gain added, then this modification might be similar to what Randy Rhoads had done to his JMP. With the RR JMP mod, there's also some changes made to channel 1 and channel 2 input, but not sure if this is the same mod, a variation of that RR mod, or something different. Still, it's an impressive sound coming from that amp.

I think this amp and it's modification have been discussed here before. I'm sure if you do a search here using terms like "dookie mod" and "green day amp", you might come up with some answers.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
So there is definitely a MV added, as well as an effects loop. Not knowing much about internals of amps, I was just curious if this was a good enough picture to show an amp guy and say "do this to my amp." I believe it was originally modded by Bob Bradshaw and then again by Martin Golub.
The easy answer is no, you can tell very little from those photos. Even if the photos were better, you wouldn't see the underside of the boards.

herbvis

Reaction score
Its a fairly simple mod with and added fx loop. Looks like the labels above the gain pots say gain and master. It is a prephase master according to the schematic and location of the master. The schematic is out there and easy to find. The added board is for the fx loop. Also,notice the giant load resistors in the case below. I wonder if it is for testing /servicing/purposes or if he is using some version of the EVH load resistor trick

kamran

Reaction score
I have one of these. I won't post gut shots but I will say that that they cascade the front end, put in a pre-PIMV, the extra board is for an added effects loop (I've heard that this main amp is one of the very early reissues from the very early 90s [1959S maybe?] but I'm not 100% on that) and the knob on the back is the send level. This is so they can use a CAE 3+SE preamp for some of the cleaner tones and just run it through the marshall's power section. They definitely revoice the amp but I'm not sure how, but I was told by his old amp tech that it is similar to the EVH mod but with less bass.

Hogwild

Reaction score
Here's a vintage one that's modified by BJA's tech martin golub

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-100W...effects-loop-/122561827886?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE

$_3.JPG

$_3.JPG

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-was I the only one that checked the post date? I was sure it was a necro-post!!

-I love these old modded Marshall's that stand the test of time, and can more than compete with the wave of Marshall's, that are out doing MARSHALL, if your pickin up what Im laying down you crazy cats!

Hogwild

Reaction score
-I love these old modded Marshall's that stand the test of time, and can more than compete with the wave of Marshall's, that are out doing MARSHALL, if your pickin up what Im laying down you crazy cats!
Ask me and I'll tell you the same thing every time- there's nothing more reliable than an old vintage Marshall.

Anthony King

Reaction score
I'll never forget playing a show with Green Day just before they broke out back in early 90s. They were really young and my band Motherfist had one single out and they had two so they headlined the show. I remember them being really good and similar to us except way better vocals. This was before they broke out so they were still pretty small band and on an indie label. I don't think they were playing Marshalls at the time and I had my '74 Super Bass and I remember Billie really checking it out. He was asking me some questions about it. We were all so young..I think early 20s for me. Obviously he was interested and started using Marshalls shortly thereafter..and the rest is history!

Kris Ford

Reaction score
-was I the only one that checked the post date? I was sure it was a necro-post!!

Oh I am my brother!

My cascade mod/PPIMV Super Bass is pretty much that, with no effects loop, which I don't not need, or do not want...