Heavy Metal Pups

• Thread starter Conghaille
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
The DD has been my pickup of choice for 20 years but I recently scored an Invader, works great in my Mockingbird & I'm thinking to put one in my Warlock too, those are my main live axes.

I've been curious about the Black Winter.

Marshall4Metal

Reaction score
EMG's low noise floor and great for metal. Evo for passive. My old made in Japan RR3 has an Evo and it's my favourite along with EMG's and I've tried a lot of pickups.

Phil Gagnier

Reaction score
I'm building a Gold Top LP to play on my DSL. I want to to fill a more rhythm Heavy Metal role with this instrument...a spectrum between KK Downing and James Hetfield.

What pickups would you recommend?
I've been wanted to give the Hetset a whip...

Kiko

Reaction score
490/498 combo will do, no need to go for stronger pickups, makes the guitar more versatile. If you need more gain then just stack on your fav overdrive/distortion pedal(s).

fat_lenny

Reaction score
490/498 combo will do, no need to go for stronger pickups, makes the guitar more versatile. If you need more gain then just stack on your fav overdrive/distortion pedal(s).

My LP Standard has the 490/498 set and I love it.

But I am also running EMG 81's in an ESP and if I am just playing metal its my go to guitar. I never stick any pedals between the guitar and amp though to get more gain. Its just not needed.

For everything else, the 490/498's are better.

Bear R.

Reaction score
The DD has been my pickup of choice for 20 years but I recently scored an Invader, works great in my Mockingbird & I'm thinking to put one in my Warlock too, those are my main live axes.

( I've been curious about the Black Winter. )

Hey Mosh..I finally Installed a set of the SD Black Winters that we talked about...and let me tell ya man, These things Sound Incredible...They are a bit treble heavy but in a good way..they are Very Clear and Powerful..but clean up nicely when they need to..Im still getting used to them but their nice.. The Volume and Tone controls makes them a Versatile pup..

here's a few pics...ESP Formula

Attachments

• 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    814.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    833.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    830.7 KB · Views: 4
  • camera pics 00101.jpg
    camera pics 00101.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 3
  • phprHkBAwAM.jpg
    phprHkBAwAM.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Conghaille

Reaction score

Thanks for the ideas. I currently have a tuxedo Epi LP with 57/+ pups in it, so I feel like that's my plenty versatile one. With the Goldtop I really wanted to dial in on metal.

IMG_0678.jpg

dreyn77

Reaction score
A 500T in the bridge and you'll be hitting RR tones, no worries!

Notice how the crunch section of the amp actually makes more tone than earlier amps?
Well that extra tone is the result of an electrical trick. So that trick is gonna clash with MOST pickups in the market.
Sad but true!
You must find the few pickups which don't clash with that part of the amp. So maybe 30 out of 100 pickups are gonna make a signal which is acceptable for the custom tricked up marshall 2000 amp.

EMG 81's are a pre 1985 pickup! The JCM 2000 is a long way away from an EMG 81!

Guys seem to forget that fact!

dslman

Reaction score
Black Winter was in my RG and it was a cool pup, I agree it has plenty of treble, but in a good way. Focused attack yet lots of hair.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
Hey Mosh..I finally Installed a set of the SD Black Winters that we've talked about...and let me tell ya man, These things Sound Incredible...They are a bit treble heavy..But in a good way..they are Very Clear and Crisp..and they clean up nicely when they need to..Im still getting used to them but their nice.. The Volume and Tone controls makes them a Versatile pup..

here's a few pics...ESP Formula
Looking good man, how do you find them in comparison with the DD?

Conghaille

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great Ideas!

I'm going to try SH-4 JB in the neck and a TB-6 DD in the bridge.

Should get the last one tomorrow.

Thanks!

Bear R.

Reaction score
Looking good man, how do you find them in comparison with the DD?

Thanks Mosh..

You know man, I don't know..It's been along time..I had a DD in my Jackson but I got rid of that Guitar..

If you get a chance though, try the BW Bridge pup and see what you think..I bet in a live setting these would sound killer..

Last edited:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
i was going to say a SD Invader & add a hard gated compressor pedal for the Hetfield tones.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
i was going to say a SD Invader & add a hard gated compressor pedal for the Hetfield tones.
I got one in a trade & have to say i'm really impressed, it has a real brutal low mid tone, i had the DD in this guitar prior which is my go to but it never seems right in my Mockingbird, it was kinda brittle, the Invader is more suited.

When i fitted it though i couldn't help but play old Metallica riffs. :headbanger:

dreyn77

Reaction score
I think you'll find 1 coil of the Seymour Duncan pickups, works in the amp, but the sound of it is actually too hot, and the sound of the other coil is almost clean in nature, so that means the SD pickups are out of date for your newer amp design.
But maybe SD has updated the pickup design from its original form. Who knows?

Good luck!

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I got one in a trade & have to say i'm really impressed, it has a real brutal low mid tone, i had the DD in this guitar prior which is my go to but it never seems right in my Mockingbird, it was kinda brittle, the Invader is more suited.

When i fitted it though i couldn't help but play old Metallica riffs. :headbanger:
isn't the Mockingbird a mohagony body?
I had my Invader in an Alder Rhoads Prototype (a very rare Arbor) model and it was just perfect w/ some polepiece adjustment. but as usual, I like note articulation from my guitars & dirt from the amps &/or pedals depending on tube type. either way,it's still a great pickup for metal & if ya need some more "chop" just add a compressor or an early JCM 800 50 w/ an original 65's cab. chunkety chunk chunk- think Scorpions The Zoo.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Irongear ' metal machine ' if you looking for the super saturated type thing , and at half the price of Duncan's .

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
oh.. you have one of the good ones.
2002 Import but a beast & i've added an active 3 band EQ. :)
vsmhaw.jpg