• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Help choosing the right JCM900?

• Thread starter hand amputation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Hello there,

This is my first post so I am sorry if it is redundant or in the wrong area.

I own a Mesa Triple Rectifier 50/150w head, but I am not happy with it. Seems that I just can't dial in a good sound that isn't super 'nu-metal' sounding. Long story short, I have a buddy who is buying it from me for $1K and I am looking into getting a JCM900, as I need an amp with two channels, and I like the dual reverb option. I need the 100 watt version, as we are quite loud and our drummer is a monster.

There's a local guy who is selling a 1990 JCM900 4100 and he's asking $750. But I have also heard good things about the SLX 900's, which I see on Reverb.com for the same price.

Which one should I get?

FWIW, it would be paired with a 16ohm Orange 4x12 cab, which I already own.

Here's a link to my band's album (free) if you'd like to hear the style of music we play. I'd say we're alt rock (a bit on the heavy side).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism that you may be able to provide.

Kladen

Reaction score
Hey buddy

For at start the SLX is one channel but Dual mastervolume. A very cool feature if you ask me.
I own both a mkIII and DR and I don't think that it is what you're after. 900's are monster tight and not awful lot lowend.
Any particular reason why you are after a 900?

temporarychicken

Reaction score
The 'classic' JCM900 will have a gain sensitivity knob that goes to 20. This is the famous diode clipping circuit between the first and second valves (tubes) in the preamp.

This gives the classic JCM900 sound. The current re-issue model has this. Also, these models did not have EL34 power tubes since Marshall couldn't source these back in the early 90s.

The SLX came later and is basically a hot-rodded JCM800 with an extra valve (tube) in the preamp. No didodes!

They both bear the JCM900 badge but they are entirely different.

If it were me, I'd go for any one with a gain sensitivity up to 20 dial- the 4xxx series. But if you want an extra valve instead of some funky diodes then get the SLX - also highly rated.

The JCM2000 series all had the extra valve and no diodes.

Kladen

Reaction score
Early 90's Dr 4100, 4500, mkIII 2100 and 2500 all sported el34

The mkIII dual mastervolume (2500&2100) and mkIV SLX (2500&2100) is different from the dual reverb. They have switchable mastervolumes but otherwise a single channel amp closer to the 2203&2204. They both have preamp gain and sensitivity knobs which let's you find a lot of different tones. They differ in that the mkIII use a solidstate unit to boost the front end and add compression whereas the SLX uses an extra tube. These amp are a lot simpler construction and closer to the 800'
The dual reverb is quite different it have switchable channels A clean to classic rock and B for higher and more bright tones. Most distortion in these comes from solidstate circuits and their circuit is lot more complex.
One can still get the classic Marshall sounds out of it just stick to channel a and turn it up loud.
Oddly my 4101 DR have some of my favourite clean tones :)

Tips and tricks tor the 900's:
Do not dial it in with your eyes and don't start with all knobs at noon
I run mine like this treble 0-2 mids 0-4 bass 4-6 pres to taste
I find that if I turn the treble higher than this it starts getting real shrill.
Use a eq in the loop and you can dial in almost every tone.
If loop is not use put at patch cable in it.

People complain a lot about these amp but they also have some strongpoints
They are reliable, loud and sits very well in a band situation. Ohh and A channel loves a good boost :)

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Not to be a neg, but going from the Rec to a dual reverb 900 is a big jump in sound, way different.

I have a el34 2100 900 slx and it roars, but it's one channel with a limited clean sound, you can get a clean sound but it was designed for full on Heavy Metal and is very good at that.

Like temporary chicken said, maybe try the DSL, I have a 100 watter DSL also and it is more versatile than the 900 slx, has some excellent sounds and dials in real easy.

On another note, have you tried cranking the REC's clean channel in the "pushed mode", throw a little boost in front and it cranks. I have a 3 channel dual rec and struggled dialing it in for some time, I found the pushed mode has some great sounds.

wakjob

Reaction score
Diodes for me please.

If it's really a DR900 you want, that will be a crazy 180 from the Triple Rec.
But I've never personally had any issue with lacking low end from a DR900. They have been just as full and thumpy as my 2203, 2204, & 2205. Not quite VM2266/KT66 fat, but do you really want to intrude on the bass player? If so, just add a fixed resonance to the NFB/Ohm selector.

Swapping out one capacitor (c5) for a better quality film/foil cap makes a pretty big difference in the performance of a DR. And it will help make both channels more similar. I also don't care what anyone says, rolling preamp tubes DOES make a considerable change.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses.

Just to clear things up... The only reason I bought the Trip Rec is because I got a killer deal on it with the Orange 4x12 cab that I simply couldn't pass up.

The only reason I am wanting to get rid of it is that I don't feel that I utilize all of the knobs and channels on the Mesa. Also I wish it had built in reverb. With 20 knobs on the face of the beast I wish it had 1 or 2 reverb options. It would save space on my pedalboard!

I've always been more of a Marshall/Fender sort of guy, so the Mesa is quite daunting. It's a hell of an amp, I just feel that it is a bit too much for me. Also, I wish it was switchable from 50/100/150 watts. I feel that 50 is a bit too little and the 150 is a bit too much to find the sweet spot.

I feel that my sound (for the band) is somewhere in between. I'm sure if I just played with the Mesa more I could find a good middle ground. I have several preamp/od/dist pedals, a Keeley Time Machine, Keeley Modded TS9 and DS1, and so on and so forth.

Perhaps I should just keep what I have until I find a good Craigslist deal on a Marshall. IDK.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I'm tellin ya, the right JCM900 is called a JCM2000 DSL:lol:

Crap! I was gonna say this! Glad I skimmed first.

I'm a Marshall guy, but I'd rather have the triple rectum fryer. But heck, maybe you'll like it. I always thought 900s sounded pretty nice at bedroom and music store volumes, but turned into honky mud at actual band volumes. But I've only owned 2. Plus the Recto is FAR more valuable in my neck of the woods.

I think you'll find 95% of the folks here will advise you against the 900 and to almost any other
Marshall instead. There IS a reason for this. Not that the 900 doesn't have its fan.....

I know the SLX is pretty popular, but just to tell you, last fall I picked up a dual reverb jcm900 for $300. I flipped it for $400 and felt I did well. Before you spend $750, try calling stores in Minneapolis to see if they have any 900s much cheaper. They're NOT selling like hotcakes here.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Hello there,

This is my first post so I am sorry if it is redundant or in the wrong area.

I own a Mesa Triple Rectifier 50/150w head, but I am not happy with it. Seems that I just can't dial in a good sound that isn't super 'nu-metal' sounding. Long story short, I have a buddy who is buying it from me for $1K and I am looking into getting a JCM900, as I need an amp with two channels, and I like the dual reverb option. I need the 100 watt version, as we are quite loud and our drummer is a monster.

There's a local guy who is selling a 1990 JCM900 4100 and he's asking $750. But I have also heard good things about the SLX 900's, which I see on Reverb.com for the same price.

Which one should I get?

FWIW, it would be paired with a 16ohm Orange 4x12 cab, which I already own.

Here's a link to my band's album (free) if you'd like to hear the style of music we play. I'd say we're alt rock (a bit on the heavy side).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism that you may be able to provide.

Don't buy any 900 for $750. They can be had for less. If 900 is what you want, my personal view is the SLX is the way to go. It is very much like a hot rodded JCM800. I own one and really like it. You can get a good one for $550-650. Great bang for the buck. I like it better than my JCM800. Another great option is the 6100. Check that one out. It does all the Marshall tones really well and a good one can be had for $6-800. Argued by some as the best amp ever made. I actually got one yesterday and played it about an hour...superb amp. Lastly, in my area the are giving away JVM205s......I bet if you look long enough you could get one cheap in the $650-750 range used. All three are great choices.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
"Perhaps I should just keep what I have until I find a good Craigslist deal on a Marshall. IDK."

Hand Amp...before you sell the Triple Rec, spend some time on the pushed mode, crank the gain and maybe a push up front, put the channel vol at 1/2, a little reverb or a lil delay in the loop brings my dual rec to life big time. The Rec's are complicated beasts and take time.....probably to much time to dial in ( Marshall much easier to dial in). Make sure to run your time machine in the loop.If possible try a eq in the loop, this can change the sound big time also.

Best of Luck trying to find YOUR sound! It's an endless journey.......

dreyn77

Reaction score
what sort of pickups you running with? if EMG's or similar, just keep the amp and forget the 900.

If you're running passive pickups then go for the marshall.

but I'd still try and keep the mesa.
you need to ask yourself, do you want to hear finger slips on the strings inbetween chords? if YES then get the marshall.

but really you really actually DON'T want the sound of the finger slips, they're annoying and the big reason guys went with the less sensitivity to the sounds.

Don't worry about the concept of 'numetal' or whatever. that's a wrong way to think about the sound.

you won't get a brilliant sound out of the mesa but you don't want that sound out of the mesa.
you get an amped sound without all the hassle.

sounds to me like the 900 model with the 2 switchable channels is actually an amp with a main sound and a solo sound. guys just had no idea how to run these amps back in the day as well as today.

the solo section is supposed to be bright and brilliant.
the speakers take care of any over powering problems from happening.

that sounds like THE model to go for if you do go a 900.

listening to a guy play an amp tonight I stood way out there to listen to the sound from where the amp sent the sound.

from that wayout location, the sound was FAT DULL FUZZY and broken up, with NO bass, no real mids, just mostly trebles.
it WAS THE sound of the control settings.

I then moved closer to the amp and heard a big sound change.
this sound was bright jangly but still fat and DULL notes with real dull bass tones which were almost non existant. very dissappointing sound as well.

then I moved near the speaker cab. the sound was stretched out. it was noticeable.
the sound appeared to have a much better EQ sound. it seemed okay.
bright mids with jangly trebles and some tiny amount of bass tones, but all sounds were slightly too fat. they were dull notes but they didn't seem dull.

then I moved off to the side on a 45 degree angle to the cab's fireing line.

the cab is a 2 x10 roland cube amp.

this sound had WAY better EQ, suddenly there was BASS to the sound comming out of the side of the cab. there was what seemed like mids, and lots of them.
the trebles were suddenly thin and crisp. it sounded like hendrix when the guy played hendrix.

4 listening locations, 4 completely different sounds.
the 45 degrees listening location sound was FAKE EQ sound.
standing infront but way out where the sound was sent to by the speakers resulted in the TRUE sound and the actual sound of the control settings on the amp and guitar.

so DOn't be fooled by the sound while standing near the cabs and speakers.

Your mesa will sound just as bright as a marshall if you stand and listen in the right location.

that other heavy sludge sound off to the side of the cab is just what happens with the components which make up the brilliant sound.
that's the FAKE sound stretch sound.
pay no attention to that sound.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
My advice would be to see if the guy will let you test the amp. See if you like it. If you do, then great. Buy with your ears, what sounds good to YOU.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I have a 50 watt SL-X with the 5881 output tubes (vs. EL34). I paid $550 for mine, and it was in mint condition. I've seen many sell in the $600 dollar range, some for less. I would not pay even $700 for a JCM900, they are not difficult to find for less. If you are set on buying a JCM900, I would keep looking for a better deal. I can recommend the SL-X, great amp, but realize that the SL-X does not have built-in reverb you had mentioned.

SwampThing

Reaction score
The Model you want is the SLX. It's an absolute sleeper of an amp and you can usually find them for under a grand. Pair it with a quad of Vintage '30's and you're set.

dreyn77

Reaction score
the DSL with the 75's 1960 cab and the gibson 490 pickups are perfect tuned in to get you the old crunchy sound of rock in the 1970's.

the 498's will give you slightly hotter hard rock, the 500T will go hotter again.
you'll be able to play along with all your fav recordings where the player used the stock gear, so something like THin Lizzy recordings.

Latest posts