HOLY MOTHER... NAD... OR15 Gas satisfied

• Thread starter dsn716
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dsn716

Reaction score
So, I was wanting a low wattage tube amp. Gassing over the OR15 for months. But, the Blackstar HT-5RH was getting great reviews, had a handful of more features (line/MP3 in, and a headphone jack), and was quite a few rubles less. So, I figured "what the hell". When it arrived, I took it out of the box, and hooked it up to my Marshall 1966A. An hour later, I put it back in the box, and was calling zZounds.com for an RA#. I don't know what anyone sees in that amp. Maybe it's because I'm in my 40's, but, if that was "the sound in my head"... I'd bury a damn 9mm round in my head!
Then I did it. I pulled the trigger on an Orange OR15. Man, THIS IS it! THIS IS the sound I've been looking for since forever and a day ago!
I've always played Marshalls for the most part over the past 25 years. Marshall has always gotten me the closest to the sound I was looking for (with a little help from a pedal or two). I have to say that those days are over. This amp is exactly the sound I've been after, without any additional dirt from pedals.
I thought it couldn't get any better, but I was wrong. I yanked the original G12T-75's out of my cabinet, and put in a pair of WGS Veteran 30's. SWEET MOTHER OF PETE! I had a chub when I first hooked this head up. The first time I plugged in and turned on with the new speakers, I put a permanent dent in the back of my Les Paul.
It does a really wide range of tones, and generates a lot less noise than a lot of other new amp lines when you really crank the pre-amp.
With the MV on about 6, and the gain on around 1, it's pretty damn clean, but growls a bit when you hit it a bit harder, which sounds amazing with my Strat. The crunch is great with the gain between 5 and 6. Push the gain to around 8,and it's just about as heavy as I'll ever need with my Les Paul. And, it stays tight and articulate. I put my GE-7 through the effects loop, and I can get that Paster of Muppets tone, for the few times I'm in that sort of mood.
All I can say is, if anyone is on the fence about this head... just get it. You won't be disappointed.

Attachments

• IMAG0994.jpg
    IMAG0994.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 26

Rozman62

Reaction score
Oh ya...OR 15 is where it's at. I played one but don't have one. I opted for the Orange Rocker 30 instead which fulfilled the tone I searched for. I don't get that British lower mid range voiced tone with my Marshalls. I probably use my Orange twice the rate of my Marshalls. I tend to use my Rocker 30 and DSL on inside gigs and leave my 2204 for outside summer gigs. Get that rig up past 4 on the master and now your talkin tone that rivals the Orange...different but just as sweet. I don't think I have ever heard a bad review on the OR15 other than perhaps clean headroom concerns.

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
Nice! I've been thinking (gasing) about getting an OR15 for a long time, well since it came out really.. this thread and finding out about a 2 channel mod for it the other day has not helped one bit.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I really want one, its the dollars that are stopping me, or lack of. :(

I'm putting a V30 cab together and thinking of getting the Orange 35 watt, I hope this satisfies my Orange craving, it does sound really good.

dsn716

Reaction score
I really want one, its the dollars that are stopping me, or lack of. :(

I'm putting a V30 cab together and thinking of getting the Orange 35 watt, I hope this satisfies my Orange craving, it does sound really good.

Yep, the $$$ is a bit steep, but well worth it. Not trying to promote any retailer over the other, but I've done quite a bit of business with zZounds.com over the past two and a half years (around $6,000 worth... shit, I think I may have a problem! :scratch:) Their no interest- 4, 8, and 12 payment plans really make it easy to get the gear you want without putting off your other bills.

dsn716

Reaction score
Congrats, I just got my #4 Orange head today, it sounds great, not getting much crunch out of it, but it sounds damn good. Running into my 412.

Yeah, that TT15JR is a great amp too. It has a ridiculous amount of gain! I tried one and really liked it. but, the vintage voicing and wider range of the OR15 is where I was sold. Both are definitely worth a look for anyone thinking about getting a new amp. :hbang:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
That is great when you find a tone that really is what you were searching for, congrats. I recently had the same a similar experience after I got my Orange Rockerverb 50. It took me a while to figure out how to get the best tones out of it with my gear, but once I did it was a big WOW. The fattest most musical and almost like Marshall distortion I have ever heard.
The one caveat is that I have to hit it with a clean boost before getting there. Without a clean boost it is nowhere near as articulate as I need at lower volumes, maybe that would not be the case when up really loud though.

I am really curious how Orange works in a band scenario and if it would cut through enough. Marshalls seem to have a lot more top end cut than Orange....

MarshallMark

Reaction score
Well that's just great- another amp has entered my peripheral vision to chase tone after. This is surely an illness, we're the junkies, and the damn online retailers are the dealers. :mad::lol::naughty:
Congrats on finding your tone grail. The ONE thing that would stop me from trying Orange stuff is that you have to be Egyptian and read hieroglyphics almost in order to operate them.:lol:

dsn716

Reaction score
That is great when you find a tone that really is what you were searching for, congrats. I recently had the same a similar experience after I got my Orange Rockerverb 50. It took me a while to figure out how to get the best tones out of it with my gear, but once I did it was a big WOW. The fattest most musical and almost like Marshall distortion I have ever heard.
The one caveat is that I have to hit it with a clean boost before getting there. Without a clean boost it is nowhere near as articulate as I need at lower volumes, maybe that would not be the case when up really loud though.

I am really curious how Orange works in a band scenario and if it would cut through enough. Marshalls seem to have a lot more top end cut than Orange....

Orange is definitely a "darker" tone than Marshall, and I think that is one of the things I like about it.
The Rockerverb 50 is a sweet amp. But, you almost need to get it into tooth-loosening territory in order to get the power amp tubes to warm up and shine. If you had an opportunity to really open it up, you probably wouldn't need to front-end it with anything.

dsn716

Reaction score
Well that's just great- another amp has entered my peripheral vision to chase tone after. This is surely an illness, we're the junkies, and the damn online retailers are the dealers. :mad::lol::naughty:
Congrats on finding your tone grail. The ONE thing that would stop me from trying Orange stuff is that you have to be Egyptian and read hieroglyphics almost in order to operate them.:lol:

Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Gain.
It's pretty simple on the OR15. Another thing I like about it. It isn't watered down with useless features or knobs that don't offer any real tone-shaping value.
If you get a chance, try one. Then, we'll all get a chuckle over how "hooked" you are when you report back. :naughty: