HOLY MOTHER... NAD... OR15 Gas satisfied

• Thread starter dsn716
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
.But, you almost need to get it into tooth-loosening territory in order to get the power amp tubes to warm up and shine. If you had an opportunity to really open it up, you probably wouldn't need to front-end it with anything.

DSN716, I think you would be surprised at how quickly the RV50 gets pwr tube distortion sound, that is what I like about it. It is different from Marshalls because I can get the master up close to halfway without blowing out ear drums and that is part of what gives it a huge pushed fat sound at decent volumes....I did not expect that from a 50W el34 amp.

chuckelator

Reaction score
Happy NAD! I felt the same way when I first plugged into my 900 MkIII, so I know what you're feeling man!

I've heard great things about that OR15, but Orange just put out that Dual Dark amp that has me really curious as well.

dsn716

Reaction score
Happy NAD! I felt the same way when I first plugged into my 900 MkIII, so I know what you're feeling man!

I've heard great things about that OR15, but Orange just put out that Dual Dark amp that has me really curious as well.

Yep, the dark terror I think has a bit more gain than the OR15, not a bunch more like the Jim Root terror, but a noticeable amount more. The thing I don't like about the Tiny Terror, Dark Terror, and the Dual Terror is you don't get a whole lot of tonal variety with just the one "shape" control- in my opinion anyway.
But, the Dual Dark 50 & 100 appear to have one channel (channel B) based on the Dark Terror platform, and the other (channel A) based on the Jim Root Terror, with a 3 band EQ (and even MORE gain, so they say). Plus, both have a built in attenuator and a tube driven effects loop. I hope none of the local places around here get one in stock any time soon. I was gassing over the OR15 for such a long time. I would hate to try one of those Dual Darks and go through that all over again! :ugh:

R.Kandy

Reaction score
Congrats man, very nice little amp. Have you gigged with it at all? You of course may need a mic, but I was wondering what it would sound like cranked up with bass and drums.

dsn716

Reaction score
Congrats man, very nice little amp. Have you gigged with it at all? You of course may need a mic, but I was wondering what it would sound like cranked up with bass and drums.
Definitely loud enough on it's own for small gigs. I have not had a chance to use it in a full band situation yet, but, people who live 6 or 7 houses down from me are very aware of the fact that I got a new amp! And of course, any amp EQ'd properly will cut through a mix.
:headbanger:

Steve Naples

Reaction score
Yep, the dark terror I think has a bit more gain than the OR15, not a bunch more like the Jim Root terror, but a noticeable amount more. The thing I don't like about the Tiny Terror, Dark Terror, and the Dual Terror is you don't get a whole lot of tonal variety with just the one "shape" control- in my opinion anyway.
But, the Dual Dark 50 & 100 appear to have one channel (channel B) based on the Dark Terror platform, and the other (channel A) based on the Jim Root Terror, with a 3 band EQ (and even MORE gain, so they say). Plus, both have a built in attenuator and a tube driven effects loop. I hope none of the local places around here get one in stock any time soon. I was gassing over the OR15 for such a long time. I would hate to try one of those Dual Darks and go through that all over again! :ugh:

I agree with you, I hope no one gets those in around me either. I just got the Jim Root and love the tones that I can get from it with a 412, haven't tried the 212 yet. Those Dual Darks look to be a sweet amp though. :hbang: