• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Hot Sauce...

• Thread starter Dogs of Doom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I keep forgetting to ask: does anyone know how long salsa lasts once it's opened and refrigerated? I've read that hot sauces can last for over a year, but I'm reading that salsa's only last 1-2 weeks. Anyone keep a salsa in the fridge for extended periods? I've got a jar of Jolokia 10 that's half full and it's been in there for about 4 months. I wonder if I should just toss it.
Here's an example...

When I bought my 1st jar of Ghost sauce, I also bught some mild, or medium Mrs Renfros. In 2 weeks, the mild stuff was getting mildew around the edges, but the Ghost never did. I guess the Ghost is too hot for mildew...

The hotter, the more mildew resistant? Maybe... I know that's why people started eating hot spices back in the day, because before refrigeration, people would get food born illnesses & the heat, kept the bugs at bay...

mcblink

Reaction score
Here's an example...

When I bought my 1st jar of Ghost sauce, I also bught some mild, or medium Mrs Renfros. In 2 weeks, the mild stuff was getting mildew around the edges, but the Ghost never did. I guess the Ghost is too hot for mildew...

The hotter, the more mildew resistant? Maybe... I know that's why people started eating hot spices back in the day, because before refrigeration, people would get food born illnesses & the heat, kept the bugs at bay...

There could be something to that actually. I have heard people say that eating hot stuff kept them healthier, they thought.

I have another theory that vinegar has a lot to do with it. It seems like a lot of the sauces tend to have vinegar in them. Like Tobasco. Salsa generally doesn't have vinegar as far as I know. Vinegar is used to pickle stuff all the time as a form of preservation, so it would stand to reason, at least in my mind, that the sauce should have a longer shelf life.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I've been sick with a cold since late last Friday. I'm home today, blowing my nose every 60 seconds it seems. A few minutes ago I suddenly got a :idea:... try some super hot sauce! So I poured out a little bit of Pain is Good Batch #37 Garlic Style Hot Sauce and had a go. My sinuses miraculously cleared within about 3 mins. It works. LOL! But, it only works until the heat wears off and then the waterworks are back. Anyway, I thought it was worth a mention.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

mcblink

Reaction score
I've been sick with a cold since late last Friday. I'm home today, blowing my nose every 60 seconds it seems. A few minutes ago I suddenly got a :idea:... try some super hot sauce! So I poured out a little bit of Pain is Good Batch #37 Garlic Style Hot Sauce and had a go. My sinuses miraculously cleared within about 3 mins. It works. LOL! But, it only works until the heat wears off and then the waterworks are back. Anyway, I thought it was worth a mention.
I actually do that too. But yeah, like you say, comes right back.

Could always pull a Steve-O and try to snort it...lol

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Use it to clear out he sinuses, then, once cleared, use some flonase, or similar. Helps to use the flonase when the nostrils are cleared.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/lifesty...co_sauce_is_20_times_hotter_than_the_original

This new Tabasco sauce is 20 times hotter than the original
People Wednesday, July 19, 2017

new-tabasco-hot-sauce-flavors-ft-blog0717.jpg

mcblink

Reaction score
Is it any less vinegary than the original? Even if it's not, I think I'll be trying it too.

Latest posts