• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Hot Sauce...

• Thread starter Dogs of Doom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks fabulous - and healthy!! :yesway:

It is supposed to be quite healthy. I do not think my intake of Sriracha is the best thing to put in my body though. But we do consume a pot of hot green tea with this meal as well.

But then I just got done eating a Milky Way candy bar, which has become one of my weaknesses these last few years. I take small bites of them and savor the inner caramel. Delicious. I can make them last much longer than a Snickers or Reeses Peanut Butter Cups that disappear in a few bites.

:D

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep trying out new hot sauces/salsas. I keep trying hot sauce that says "HOT" on the rating, but, they never are. The MEDIUM" ones seem mild & the "MILD" ones are just cut up tomatoes...

I found one the other day called Mrs Renfro's & it says "scary hot".

ghost-pepper-salsa_grande.jpg

This one gets the Dog's approval!

Do use w/ caution though:

http://nypost.com/2015/08/04/eating-ghost-peppers-could-kill-you/

Well, just got home. Made a stop at WinCo on the way home and I am sitting here with a jar of that Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa and a bag of Tostitos scoop chips. I have to say this salsa is quite hot. The burn stays with you for quite awhile too. My Gal has some Tri-Tip going in the crock pot. So I will be putting some of this salsa on my dinner as well. But yes, I also endorse this salsa. Gotta a good burn. I am not taking full scoops with the chip, but about a half scoop and its a kicker man.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Well, just got home. Made a stop at WinCo on the way home and I am sitting here with a jar of that Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa and a bag of Tostitos scoop chips. I have to say this salsa is quite hot. The burn stays with you for quite awhile too. My Gal has some Tri-Tip going in the crock pot. So I will be putting some of this salsa on my dinner as well. But yes, I also endorse this salsa. Gotta a good burn. I am not taking full scoops with the chip, but about a half scoop and its a kicker man.

At least where I live, it's the hottest salsa available in any grocery store. I think it tastes great. It's a bit more saucy than I like - I prefer a salsa with tomato and Bell pepper chunks, but for sauce-type salsa, I rate it pretty high. It's almost as hot as I can take for dipping chips. I think my long-time favorite has been CaJohn's Jolokia 10 salsa - it's very expensive, that link is the lowest price on Amazon, and it keeps going up. When I started buying the 16 oz. jar it was $12, then $13, etc. But it's a really good way to treat yourself to a great tasting burn.

Mrs.-Renfros-Habanero-Gourmet-Salsa.jpg
41xo9DPdlUL.jpg
mrs-renfro-s-gourmet-salsas-ghost-pepper-salsa-16-oz-2-pc.jpg

... And then of course there's Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa which is... well, "ghostly" hot!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Stuff is addicting. Just had to cut myself off from it. I put a little dent in this jar already. Oddly though, I never got the hiccups. I usually get hiccups if I eat something hot without much in my stomach first.

Burn stays with you for awhile. My eyelids are sweating . . . .

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Stuff is addicting. Just had to cut myself off from it. I put a little dent in this jar already. Oddly though, I never got the hiccups. I usually get hiccups if I eat something hot without much in my stomach first.

Burn stays with you for awhile. My eyelids are sweating . . . .

Milk can help cool it off in case you don't already know.

:D Yeah, it's a lot hotter if you're not used to eating it frequently. The length of the burn is one reason I like habaneros. It really gives you that endorphin rush. I have a few ghost pepper and reaper sauces that, when the jar is empty, if you try to rinse it in the kitchen sink you have to keep the water at a very low flow or else it gets into the air and will burn your freakin' eyes - now THAT's dangerous. But when I use those ultra hot sauces I dilute them into some cheaper "medium-hot" grocery store brands like Tostitos. Enjoy the natural endorphin rush. :yesway:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man, what a dinner. Tri-Tip was falling apart cooked so good from the crock pot.

I don't know if any of you like ketchup much, but that is one thing I do have in common with Jimmy Page as I love ketchup and french fries LOL. But then Jimmy did like to eat that while laying around in bed with his quite young at that time girlfriend (so I read anyway).

But anyway, I poured some Mrs. Renfroes on my plate and put a squirt of Heinz ketchup in the salsa. Outstanding with my Tri-Tip.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man, what a dinner. Tri-Tip was falling apart cooked so good from the crock pot.

I don't know if any of you like ketchup much, but that is one thing I do have in common with Jimmy Page as I love ketchup and french fries LOL. But then Jimmy did like to eat that while laying around in bed with his quite young at that time girlfriend (so I read anyway).

But anyway, I poured some Mrs. Renfroes on my plate and put a squirt of Heinz ketchup in the salsa. Outstanding with my Tri-Tip.
Ketchup with a dash of hot stuff... I gotta try that. :yesway:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to mix a spoonful in my omelette, or put a spoonful in a burrito w/ some guacamole... :drool:...
I should try it on an omelette. We make burritos often and we douse those with Mrs. R's. I'd like to try Mrs. R's jalapeno salsa to see what it tastes good with. Maybe hot dogs with sour kraut? :D Oh - I did have CaJohn's mustard (habanero?) - it was way too hot for a condiment and tasted like rocket fuel. Ew. I chucked it.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep forgetting to ask: does anyone know how long salsa lasts once it's opened and refrigerated? I've read that hot sauces can last for over a year, but I'm reading that salsa's only last 1-2 weeks. Anyone keep a salsa in the fridge for extended periods? I've got a jar of Jolokia 10 that's half full and it's been in there for about 4 months. I wonder if I should just toss it.

mcblink

Reaction score
I dunno, I ate some last night that's been in my fridge for over a month after opening.

If it's not growing mold and it smells alright, nothing tastes off.....I'll eat it

ricksconnected

Reaction score
I keep forgetting to ask: does anyone know how long salsa lasts once it's opened and refrigerated? I've read that hot sauces can last for over a year, but I'm reading that salsa's only last 1-2 weeks. Anyone keep a salsa in the fridge for extended periods? I've got a jar of Jolokia 10 that's half full and it's been in there for about 4 months. I wonder if I should just toss it.

I say toss. not worth the risk.