How well built are the New Silver Jubilees? Anyone seen the electronics? Reliable?

• Thread starter KenAdams
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
While the thickness plays an important role in the overal stability of the board and may reduce expansion and contraction due to temperature changes, this is a problem that can - to a degree - be mitigated in design so that the board has less stress in the first place. If you mount a bridge rectifier or high power resistors (with significant load) on a PCB, you're effectively using the PCB to dissipate heat. If the board is up to handling that, fine. Do however note that the heat will spread into other potentially less tolerant components. A valve amplifier already tends to run hot by design because of ... eh, valves. There is not only no active ventilation in most, and the chassis is pretty well insulated and isolated. This will - over time - dry out electrolytic capacitors faster and may cause other issues. Generally, the caps or diodes/bridge rectifier are the first to go south. The JJ we're discussing has the bridge rectifier and high power resistors smack dab next to electrolytic capacitors. In fact, it looks like one of the resistors may even be touching a cap. Also note that the BR will be underneath the PCB when the amp head is in its regular position, so the heat will rise and distribute from there. I like to give credit where credit is due and I do appreciate the fact that the dummy load (presuming it is a dummy load) is heat-sinked to the chassis. I absolutely love the plug-in pots - and I'd love to see this on more amps. The modular PCB design is practical from a serviceability point of view and for assembly, so it's a 360 win.

MTBF? Well, I guess the retailers or Friedman themselves would have to answer that. Other manufacturers have used these techniques in similar fashions and it's burned them [pun fully intended here]. Yet, we all have pieces of kit that _should_ have died ages ago and still somehow persist.
The ST1 boards are not that great but they’ve mostly kept going for in some cases 50 years . Admittedly the tubes are chassis mounted which tbh is preferable , particularly in a combo .

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Despite all the aspects of an Alice in Chains amp, isn't it really the pedal that is his signature sound?

11092000001.TOPP__35632.1663874800.jpg

PelliX

Reaction score
The ST1 boards are not that great but they’ve mostly kept going for in some cases 50 years . Admittedly the tubes are chassis mounted which tbh is preferable , particularly in a combo .

Absolutely, but that's a very different kettle of fish; the chassis mounted valves - of course, especially in a combo - can help. Heat still rises into the chassis, though. The ST1 boards have only a small number of electrolytic capacitors, component spacing is a lot higher than in more modern designs, no relays or IC's. The material and construction of the boards is quite different and 50 years ago there was no RoHS nonsense so your solderjoints were less likely to suffer from expansion/contraction cycles.

niazmet

Reaction score
A much more sensible view of the JJ jr guts . Dave Friedman isn’t one to not ‘ improve ‘ his amps during production ( unlike Marshall who tend to do nothing if an amp has inherent problems from the off ) and there are always several revisions of his amps over time , the one in the vid is probably an in between revisions and modded in house . This is as old guy jamming says not a problem if is done in a solid fashion , which it clearly was . Could possibly have been simply done that way due to parts availability etc during Covid . Would also like to add , that JJ sounded absolutely killer 🤘
as much as I love how Origin sounds I don't want to buy it and I'm not going to buy it because Marshall refuse to address the issues with the board layout. It's nothing too wrong and nothing bad, it's simple the order of the components it's wrong in the input section and how the master section works.

Since these cost the same as a handmade 50W two channel marshall in my country (meaning PCB yes but assembled by a guy who select the parts and tests by himself) I'll go with that instead of the Origin. In the meantime I have managed to get a portable marshall plexi + 2204

niazmet

Reaction score
as related to Assembled in Vietnam vs in UK

The Origin modded is a beast but I can't afford to spend that much money and send to a guy who lives next to China to mod it and send it back, wait 2 or 3 months. Or do the mod myself and lose weeks in the process which is not something I'm into and I'll only lose money and mental health lol.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Might have good tone, but, seeing some sketchy build quality in a few builds.....in some video I have watched.

I assume it relates to Friedmans build at BAD.

I don't pay attention to yokels with a YT channel making videos to pass time . I use my own ears to decide .

El Gringo

Reaction score
I will also add in addition to Friedman amps , I am also a fan of Soldan SLO-100 amps as well . Friedman and Soldano are makers of Hi Gain fire breathing monster amps .

PelliX

Reaction score
as related to Assembled in Vietnam vs in UK

Jason is, pardon my french, full of crap. I'm not often this blunt, and maybe he has a good idea or two, but check out this gem:

Listen to the analog Marshall FX loop switch to what appears to be a lower sample rate.

The Origin modded is a beast but I can't afford to spend that much money and send to a guy who lives next to China to mod it and send it back, wait 2 or 3 months. Or do the mod myself and lose weeks in the process which is not something I'm into and I'll only lose money and mental health lol.

Nobody around here to help you out, maybe even in your geographical vicinity? We've got people from all over the globe here...

niazmet

Reaction score
Peavey 6505MH vs Friedman JJ Mini Head ?
I can already tell the Marshall DSL wins lol

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Jason is, pardon my french, full of crap. I'm not often this blunt, and maybe he has a good idea or two, but check out this gem:

Listen to the analog Marshall FX loop switch to what appears to be a lower sample rate.

Nobody around here to help you out, maybe even in your geographical vicinity? We've got people from all over the globe here...

In what respect is Jason Tong full of crap ? I’m not quite sure what you’re eluding to .

PelliX

Reaction score
In what respect is Jason Tong full of crap ? I’m not quite sure what you’re eluding to .

Sorry, I could have been a little clearer. In the video I linked to he demonstrates the stock loop in the amp compared to his improved loop. If you slow down the audio or simply listen very closely you'll notice that the section with the stock loop is digitally downsampled. That's not a fair comparison, and I'd say it's misleading. He has a couple of nice features on his loop, but he could just be honest about it.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Sorry, I could have been a little clearer. In the video I linked to he demonstrates the stock loop in the amp compared to his improved loop. If you slow down the audio or simply listen very closely you'll notice that the section with the stock loop is digitally downsampled. That's not a fair comparison, and I'd say it's misleading. He has a couple of nice features on his loop, but he could just be honest about it.
Wow, that's dirty pool

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I don’t believe he’s trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes or doctored the video personally, the zero loss loop he’s made to fit the Marshall X’s is simply an industry recognised better loop . He’s certainly not claiming to have invented it ( even mentions the original designer) .

Reactions: LCW

PelliX

Reaction score
I don’t believe he’s trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes or doctored the video personally, the zero loss loop he’s made to fit the Marshall X’s is simply an industry recognised better loop . He’s certainly not claiming to have invented it ( even mentions the original designer) .

I agree the loop is a better design - I like it. I'm failing to see how the stock loop would downsample the signal. I'd be very interested in hearing someone here with the identical amp and stock loop chip in. If the stock loop were that bad, it would literally be unusable.

Nadir

Reaction score
OP if you are not Pete Townshend any amp is right for gigging and practising

Last edited:

giblesp

Reaction score
Had a 2525H briefly, build quality looked superb. Always maintain regularly, as with any tube amp.

The British Marshalls generally have a reputation for quality. No idea what Marshall will be like now its been sold off and surrendered to a foreign company, but that doesn't concern me as I will only ever play real, British Marshalls. (Which never surrender ;)

anitoli

Reaction score
I agree the loop is a better design - I like it. I'm failing to see how the stock loop would downsample the signal. I'd be very interested in hearing someone here with the identical amp and stock loop chip in. If the stock loop were that bad, it would literally be unusable.
Ok i have a 2555X and IMO the stock loop is fine. Does what it is supposed to do and i don't hear the "tone suck". Once you realize that there are thousands of john q's out there trying to out think the engineers and are basically full o'shit you move on from all this nitpicky nonsense.

PelliX

Reaction score
Ok i have a 2555X and IMO the stock loop is fine. Does what it is supposed to do and i don't hear the "tone suck". Once you realize that there are thousands of john q's out there trying to out think the engineers and are basically full o'shit you move on from all this nitpicky nonsense.

Well, I do like his trimpots for the level, that's a nice feature. The loop itself looks decent - my only gripe is the less than honest sales pitch.

Thanks for pitching in by the way about your 2555X, I don't have one to really test this for myself - but I know there's no DSP or whatever in there to downsample like that... ;)

LCW

Reaction score
Had a 2525H briefly, build quality looked superb. Always maintain regularly, as with any tube amp.

The British Marshalls generally have a reputation for quality. No idea what Marshall will be like now its been sold off and surrendered to a foreign company, but that doesn't concern me as I will only ever play real, British Marshalls. (Which never surrender ;)

I can certainly say my 2525H is well built. I bought it used off reverb and if you would have seen how it was shipped you’d flip out. I’m amazed it wasn’t in pieces. But it’s a tank and sounds amazing!