How well built are the New Silver Jubilees? Anyone seen the electronics? Reliable?

• Thread starter KenAdams
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nix_gibby

Reaction score
Hi, the only can say here is that when re-issuing the 2555, it was decided to go for a "JVM style" construction because it is very reliable (proved by thousands of JVMs out there without issues), it is much faster to assemble than a half hand-wired 2203 and the people who decided those things wanted it that way. I guess they could make more in the same time for a better price (man-hour price in the UK can be very expensive) but the component quality and everything is all the same regardless of the type of construction.
The rest is pretty much people perception. For example the 2203 pcb is single sided and very prone to break because the copper is basically just glued and has to absorb all the stresses by itself. That bond weakens over time with oxidation and thermal stress. A double sided pcb is MUCH more strong in that regard because the through-holes are plated and act like a rivet, clamping the copper traces to both sides.
Thank you for the nice clarification!!

cjs42079

Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn't bother with the little juub. Get the 2555. The 50 watt is great for practices and small gigs but enough headroom to actually make usable sounds. The 100watt is for the real headroom stuff in recording and large gigs.
The small juub sounds like a "real" juub through a old box radio or cell phone from 1999 imo. The jubilee patch on the $350 marshall code amps sound better than the little juub.
I only own the 2525H, not the 50 or 100 watt ones…and I’d have to agree with you. Something about the amp being 20 watts and then going into a 1x12 or 2x12 just isn’t giving the necessary oomph. BUT, the 20w amp does sound killer when it’s mic’d up through a good PA. Actually no complaints at all in that case.

Spyderg0d

Reaction score
I only own the 2525H, not the 50 or 100 watt ones…and I’d have to agree with you. Something about the amp being 20 watts and then going into a 1x12 or 2x12 just isn’t giving the necessary oomph. BUT, the 20w amp does sound killer when it’s mic’d up through a good PA. Actually no complaints at all in that case.
I have many friends that mic up really small amps for stage use. Some ppl love the sounds they get from them. Personally, I don't. And the unfortunate side effect is carrying the seemingly massive (but seems to get lighter everytime i drag it somewhere) big Boi heads. To me, I hear a much fuller sound from higher watt and taller headroom. But that's just mo.

67mike

Reaction score
Hi, the only can say here is that when re-issuing the 2555, it was decided to go for a "JVM style" construction because it is very reliable (proved by thousands of JVMs out there without issues), it is much faster to assemble than a half hand-wired 2203 and the people who decided those things wanted it that way. I guess they could make more in the same time for a better price (man-hour price in the UK can be very expensive) but the component quality and everything is all the same regardless of the type of construction.
The rest is pretty much people perception. For example the 2203 pcb is single sided and very prone to break because the copper is basically just glued and has to absorb all the stresses by itself. That bond weakens over time with oxidation and thermal stress. A double sided pcb is MUCH more strong in that regard because the through-holes are plated and act like a rivet, clamping the copper traces to both sides.
Thank you for taking the time to come here and set the record straight.

I hope this helps some members here.

Last edited:

cjs42079

Reaction score
I have many friends that mic up really small amps for stage use. Some ppl love the sounds they get from them. Personally, I don't. And the unfortunate side effect is carrying the seemingly massive (but seems to get lighter everytime i drag it somewhere) big Boi heads. To me, I hear a much fuller sound from higher watt and taller headroom. But that's just mo.
Me too. My personal preference is min 50w and a 4x12 (rehearsals or stage). But I’ll admit I’ve seen a number of bands playing out that sound awesome and the guitar player is just using a DSL40C or similar. So I invested in the SJ mini stack and yea, it does the thing and it sounds great when mic’d up. But it just doesn’t move my pant legs while rocking.

Spyderg0d

Reaction score
Me too. My personal preference is min 50w and a 4x12 (rehearsals or stage). But I’ll admit I’ve seen a number of bands playing out that sound awesome and the guitar player is just using a DSL40C or similar. So I invested in the SJ mini stack and yea, it does the thing and it sounds great when mic’d up. But it just doesn’t move my pant legs while rocking.
I recently down sized to a matching 2536. The 4x12 had much boom when paired with my ksm313. The 2x12 tamed it and relieved a smidgen of sciatia. It is more than loud enough, but I'm sure the next town over would only stare at the distance wondering what the noise was rather than thinking the neighbor is having a stadium party.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn't bother with the little juub. Get the 2555. The 50 watt is great for practices and small gigs but enough headroom to actually make usable sounds. The 100watt is for the real headroom stuff in recording and large gigs.
The small juub sounds like a "real" juub through a old box radio or cell phone from 1999 imo. The jubilee patch on the $350 marshall code amps sound better than the little juub.
Difference in volume is not huge, but it does miss a bit o girth. Still, my 2525H certainly sounds better than a Code, my gawd!
Speaker dependent too of course. Sometimes space and size is a requirement. A full sized head and 4x12 just won't fit or work.
While it doesn't move as much air, many venues at least around here will not allow those types of volume levels. All amps are run thru FOH so as long as it makes a decent stage monitor and FOH on that side...
Lil guy works for me but I do prefer my original 2558 even though tis an open back 2x12 combo.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'd love to own a 2555x myself. I dig that sound.

As far as the 2203x goes, I expect some top notch parts for $3500. That to me is a LOT of money.

Reactions: LCW

Scuba200ft

Reaction score
No offense intended at all. As I said, I would have no issues owning and gigging with one. But it isn't close to as over built as the 2203x. Which here in the US is ridiculously overpriced. I have 2 hand wired Friedmans here I bought for $2200 new. Nothing Marshall here in the US is any sort of bargain at all
If you want to talk garbage builds, let’s talk Friedman….lol

tallcoolone

Reaction score
If you want to talk garbage builds, let’s talk Friedman….lol
No one said anything about “garbage builds”. I am going to assume you know that tho and are just looking for attention

tallcoolone

Reaction score
.in some video I have watched.
In one video. That guy milked clicks with that one. Friedman are great amps, no matter what some old nobody with an agenda puts on YT. I have 2 of them--over $5k invested--and I say they are amongst the best amps I've ever played. And some of the best built as well but I've never had one of his "lower end" amps like this yumyum is disparaging. I imagine if they really did suck we would hear it here on the front lines.

Last edited:

67mike

Reaction score
In one video. That guy milked clicks with that one. Friedman are great amps, no matter what some old nobody with an agenda puts on YT. I have 2 of them--over $5k invested--and I say they are amongst the best amps I've ever played. And some of the best built as well but I've never had one of his "lower end" amps like this yumyum is disparaging. I imagine if they really did suck we would hear it here on the front lines.
As I said, since Friedman farmed out production to BAD, this may be the case.

Friedman has a great reputation and customer service from what I have heard. No doubt his amps sound great. I would love a SS 100.

But: Any reasonable person cannot argue that inside that JJ Jr.....was not pro level work. Period.

Also, Tony shows the guts of all the amps he is reviewing. Something that many find useful and interesting....hence my posting his video.

From Tony himself:

Did you know ...​

"Tony Mckenzie has worked in technology since 1979. Throughout his career he has worked with Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and these days China. In his past he has even part owned a technology manufacturing company based in the far east, so you could say that Tony knows a thing or two about manufacturing techniques of technology products no matter what some manufacturers CEO's might like you to think. I've had some practise with CE and RoHS compliance too"

Last edited:

Latest posts