If you could only listen to ONE decade's music for the rest of your life.......

• Thread starter Gutch220
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which decade?

• 1950's

• 1960's

• 1970's

• 1980's

• 1990's

• 2000's

• 2010's +

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gutch220

Reaction score
If you could only listen to music from ONE decade for the rest of your life, what decade would it be?

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Trying to pin 1 decade isn't going to work. There's too much crossover.

1975 - 1988.

Rock kept getting better and better. Album production kept getting better and better. Concerts kept getting better and better.

But then Poison and Axl Rose and Warrant and Winger and the Nelsons happened, and they killed the music industry, and we all had to go out and get real jobs.

Still, some held out, until the final coffin nails sealed their fate: Nirvana, and Cher's first demo of autotune.

And all that we've had since, is Country music.

Last edited:

Whizzercone

Reaction score

1975 - 1988.

Rock just kept getting better and better. Album production kept getting better and better. Concerts kept getting better and better.

But then Poison and Axl Rose and Warrant and Winger and Nelsons happened, and we all had to go out and get real jobs.

Still, some held out, until the final coffin nails sealed their fate: Nirvana, and Cher's first demo of autotune.

Country has been the only music in the last 40 years? Really?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the 80s, but that's only a handful of bands for me, same thing in the 90s. I'd like to say the 70s, but that would leave out some my favorite bands that weren't around yet. I don't know how I could possibly choose only one decade.

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I would say the 80s, but that's only a handful of bands for me, same thing in the 90s. I'd like to say the 70s, but that would leave out some my favorite bands that weren't around yet. I don't know how I could possible choose only one decade.

Yeah, I could never pick one. Too much good stuff in all of them.
Plus I love looking for new music. Even if I don't like it as well as my old favs...it would suck to have only old music.

V-man

Reaction score
Rock was king in the ‘70s, but other than the 3 “usual suspects” and a handful of standouts, “metal” -if you could even call it that for most was largely nonexistent.

On the whole, the 80s metal was FAR more superior than its rock was inferior compared to the 1970s.

Losing Sabbath is traumatic to say the least, but ‘70s majorities are not without their sacrifice… no Back in Black, Ace of Spades, G’NR, the other 1/2 of VH’s best and so much more good hard rock that’s also considered classic by now.

More importantly, the pop or alternate genres are largely awful compared to the 1980s. A couple of years of Punk and then what? Fucking disco? Even shitty stuff like New Wave, Pop and Rap offer something catchy to break the monotony of all the rest of aural existence.

Also, You are pretty much stuck 90% on plexi recordings for Marshall tones.If you have to be stuck on one, good choice, but MV Marshalls barely scratched the surface of 70s music and i am sure JTMs were long-abandoned by the overwhelming majorities. We have the “plexi-vestiges“ (Joses, etc) along with all 800 series amps and a little sample of Jubilees.

V-man

Reaction score
Also, what 2 fucking nimrods want to fess up to their single 2000s and 2010s votes? :lol:

Each one of them had to be an ironic vote.

“I mean, LZ was the tits, G’NR & Slayer was cool then, and AiC and Soundgarden had their moments, but ”Break Stuff“ and St Anger bro?! HTF could I live without that?!”

Whizzercone

Reaction score
Also, what 2 fucking nimrods want to fess up to their single 2000s and 2010s votes? :lol:

Each one of them had to be an ironic vote.

“I mean, LZ was the tits, G’NR & Slayer was cool then, and AiC and Soundgarden had their moments, but ”Break Stuff“ and St Anger bro?! HTF could I live without that?!”
I'm 2000s. Mastodon, Clutch, Rival Sons, The Killers, Baroness, The Mars Volta, the good Porcupine Tree. There is a ton of great stuff from the naughties. I just dont have any need to listen to anything from the 70s, 80s or 90s ever again unless I missed it somehow.

Gen-Xer

Reaction score
Yeah I’m the guy who picked the 90s. First of all, I don’t think some of you know how to play the game. You can’t pick a decade? Picture an alien from another planet who has the ability to wipe out all of humanity. It offers you a reprieve, all of humanity will be saved if you agree to only listen to music from one of the above posted decades. Now which decade are you picking dammit?! 😂

Here’s why I picked the 90s. Some of my favorite music is from the sixties but let’s face it, from ‘60 to ‘65 it’s glorified fifties music but sounding slightly more English and slightly more melodic. That leaves only ‘66 - ‘69 for me. Can’t make it through the rest of my days on only those years so sorry Zeebop, it can’t be the ‘60s.

You get to the ‘70s and you get a healthy mix awesome rock throughout the decade. You start with the Beatles and you get Lynyrd Skynyrd and by the end you’ve added Punk, early new wave, and outlaw country. Damn, this one is attractive.

The ‘80s, Fleetwood Mac, GnR, the best of Metallica, hair bands, more hair bands, New Wave, Hard Core American Punk, Shoegaze Bands, Brit Alternative Bands. Okay it’s good but something about a lot of the music from the ‘80s sounds dated…even compared to music in the ‘70s.

The ‘90s. You get an explosion of music similar to the explosion in the ‘60s. However beyond grunge you get a decade of great women singers-the flowers that grew from the seeds that Carole King planted in the ‘70s. Rap shakes off its early beginnings and arguably enters its greatest decade to date. Jeff Buckley’s lone album is a true masterpiece. DMB, before they became known as the frat boy anthem band produced some amazing music that was anti-grunge. Neutral Milk Hotel produced one of the great albums of the 1990s even if no one discovered it for another decade. Metallica was still rockin it out. Sound Garden was either a hard hitting grunge band or a very well disguised hair band but damn, I can listen to Superunknown for three days straight. I can do that with ‘70s music too but I’m going ‘90s.

Did they still make music after 12/31/1999?

So my answer is the ‘90s. No need to thank me humanity. I’m happy to take the bullet.

JohnH

Reaction score
My option isn't listed;

2050-2060

I plan to get there and when I do, I'll be happy enough if that decade is where I'll be until the end of my life.

G the wildman

Reaction score
My option isn't listed;

2050-2060

I plan to get there and when I do, I'll be happy enough if that decade is where I'll be until the end of my life.
Hi John,

Don’t think I will be with you. But do enjoy it!

G

G the wildman

Reaction score

1975 - 1988.

Rock just kept getting better and better. Album production kept getting better and better. Concerts kept getting better and better.

But then Poison and Axl Rose and Warrant and Winger and Nelsons happened, and we all had to go out and get real jobs.

Vin,

So what did you click.

G

Latest posts