In Light Of The New Dsl...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HerpaDerp

Reaction score
Ladies please. Look at all the trouble Marshall has brought us. Isn't it time we all agreed that it's time to move on to line 6? Bias drift? Transformers? Tubes? Tone? Not factors with line 6. Overpriced Craigslist DSLs are a thing of the past my friends.

Javimart1212

Reaction score
I'd probably not get another JCM2000 head, only cause I'm not into modding, I did the O/T, choke, reverb tank, bright cap 330pf, and speaker jack on my DSL50 and it kinda spoils you.
They sound considerably better and tighter than stock.
I had a few unmodded 2K 100watt heads that had the tranny hum and it was annoying. Although the mods to the tranny would have helped the hum considerably.
I only have the DSL50 and the 100H , the 100H is a great sounding head with lots of oomph.
I don't feel the need to do any mods on it.
...bright cap at 270 changed everything for me...what Henry choke did you use?

Last edited:

jericbrazier

Reaction score
I predict that the demand for original JCMs & DSLs will drop with the release of the new Origin & DSL line.
I could be wrong but I think this new line up solves a lot of the issues people have been having with Marshall lately.

The new DSL now has the ability to switch between modes on the channels essentially making it a true 4 channel amp. The dual MVs are assignable to different channels/modes which solves any volume discrepancies.

The Origin line gives you the single channel Marshall that many were looking for but it has an effects loop, power scaling and a footswitchable boost. Also (big deal for me) it's in a smaller headshell than the older Marshalls. The 50 watt 1x12 combo weighs only 40 lbs!

Depending on how it's made I also see the Origin being a fantastic platform for modding. The pull boost knob is already there. I can see people turning that into a high gain mod.

And best of, the prices! These amps are crazy affordable. Marshall was definitely looking at the market share they were losing to other companies in this price range. And if you don't like these models you can still have the more expensive ones.
I’m curious, after almost a year of Marshall putting out a bunch of lemons, are you still feeling the same way? I’m curious, I just started reading this thread, and thought it would be interesting to know what you thought, now.
Thanks.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Well then go to GC i dont deal with them. Reverb & Ebay have them going for $700, mine is in immaculate condition. $420 is a ripp off but then GC is a rippoff. I don't need to sell my amp at all. I can only imagine the quality of DSL you got for $400 bucks from GC. Sounds like a bunch of Crackheads. Im going to trade my DSL for a modded Bugera, i hear they're "the soul of valves". BTW i had alot better offers than $420 ... lol.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....TRS0&_nkw=marshall+jcm+2000+dsl+100&_sacat=0

https://Reverb(dot)com/marketplace?query=Marshall+JCM+2000+DSL100+Head
You’re going from a Marshall to a Bugera (Behringer)? I played one ( Bugera) at GC. I’ll just say, it didn’t scream quality to me. Ymmv.
I just looked at date, you’ve probably bought an amp. What’d you get? What do you think?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

daiku

Reaction score
I don’t know...I bought a DSL1CR earlier this year that I absolutely love, and which has been problem-free. I’ve owned lots of low wattage little amps (including some vintage Champs) and the Marshall sounds way better to me, especially for around $300 US. It seems very solid.

end user

Reaction score
Did Marshall ever actually say the new DSL's addressed brightness/spikiness issues? When I bought my DSL40C I had no idea about all the complaints about this because it was an impulse buy. Normally I research stuff before I buy. Sure when I first got it I had this spikiness issue until I turned a few knobs on the amp and the guitar and voila! It was gone. I run the green on clean and dime the gain and with an OD pedal at the ready, I basically have a 3 channel amp. I don't hear this spikiness that a lot of people report when I use it the way I use most amps. Turned up LOUD. I didnt think it was all that hard to find a good balance for the two channels using just one eq set.

Sure having independent eq's is definitely an upgrade just on it's own, and if I hadn't grabbed the 40c on a whim I'd have never even known about the CR. Maybe I would have bought one if I tried out a CR first but I now own two DSL's so that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Javimart1212

Reaction score
Did Marshall ever actually say the new DSL's addressed brightness/spikiness issues? When I bought my DSL40C I had no idea about all the complaints about this because it was an impulse buy. Normally I research stuff before I buy. Sure when I first got it I had this spikiness issue until I turned a few knobs on the amp and the guitar and voila! It was gone. I run the green on clean and dime the gain and with an OD pedal at the ready, I basically have a 3 channel amp. I don't hear this spikiness that a lot of people report when I use it the way I use most amps. Turned up LOUD. I didnt think it was all that hard to find a good balance for the two channels using just one eq set.

Sure having independent eq's is definitely an upgrade just on it's own, and if I hadn't grabbed the 40c on a whim I'd have never even known about the CR. Maybe I would have bought one if I tried out a CR first but I now own two DSL's so that's not gonna happen any time soon.

I tried everything at first, but the bright cap helped. I tried so many values, I liked 270pf. The new HR series reworked the EQ trying to solve that spikiness issue, but it was way too dark with the Marshall branded JJs it comes with. Went with TAD premium selected in V1 and a TAD premium 12ax7-cz in V2 and its better. I really like those Tube Amp Doctor premiums better than the JJs and the Shuguangs that come stock

Last edited:

Latest posts