is the JVM among the greatest marshalls of all time?

• Thread starter wanky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

is the JVM among the greatest marshalls of all time?

• Yes its the most brutal, most articulate and versitile hi-gain amp there is!

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • nah, just a decent versitle hi-gain amp but nothin special

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • nah, marshall went downhill when they used PCBs and the JVM is no different.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • ask me 30 years from now

Votes: 13 28.3%

• Total voters

wanky

Reaction score
the 59' plexis, jcm2203, silver jubilee and perhaps the JTM45 are considered marshall's most iconic and greatest amps of all time.

30 years from now will we be lookin at the JVM the way we see the before mentioned amps. what does it boil down to? the number of famous artists who used it? the sales? its popularity among players of certain genres of music? unique tone?

disscuss

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
abso-fuckin-lutely... as with the 6100, the DSL, the VM and many others

PaoloJM

Reaction score
It will come down to how many legendary bands/recording recorded and gigged with it.

Are JVMs being used as universally as the JMP or JCM series were in their day? I'm not so sure tbh.

wanky

Reaction score
the DSL is another amp that has place in these ranks due it sales(marshalls most popular selling tube amp) and how closely it emulates the plexis and 2203s. the idea of having a great clean, hi-gain sounds and two iconic vintage sounds in one amp has sold well.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
In 30 years It will be the Plexi, JMP, 800, 900, and DSL. All classics!

Murmel

Reaction score
Todays amps are built in such large numbers that none of them will become iconic, because to be an icon not only it needs to sound good, it also needs to be rare.

Unless the Chinese and Indians are starting to buy vintage gear, I don't see such a strong demand in the future.

wanky

Reaction score
Todays amps are built in such large numbers that none of them will become iconic, because to be an icon not only it needs to sound good, it also needs to be rare.

Unless the Chinese and Indians are starting to buy vintage gear, I don't see such a strong demand in the future.

2203s were built in huge numbers and very common on craigslist and ebay. lots of modern amps' design are based on the 2203, including the DSL and JVM.

the 6100 is rare but its arguable if the 6100 is iconic. for the small cult of 6100 owners including myself, it's a legend but many non-marshall players have never heard if it, but they've heard of silver jubs, 2203s and plexis.

silver jubs are rare but slash made it an icon of rock tone. hendrix made the plexi an icon of classic rock. 2203s were used by alot of players in the 80s.

the 5150, dual rectifiers are fine examples of iconic amps from other companies. non-metal heads and non-shredder know what they are and look like.

the fender bassman is another one. also the original vox AC30. in terms of clean tone.

one reason why JVMs aren't super popular is because they are really expensive. for me there had to something special to drop over 1000 on a used amp.

in flames, dave mustine, joe satriani are among the many who play JVMs.

not every marshall can be iconic, though thats only an opinion, the JVM has a great case as the iconic marshall of our time.

notice how marshall will claim on their website and user manual a certain channel or mode ona certain model sounds similar to a 59' plexi or 2203. marshall treats those as icons assuming the user knows what they are. or on the AFD a certain channel sounds like a silver jub.

wanky

Reaction score
satch did have his JVMs modified to sound more classic and open.

but KK & ZW also had their 2203s modified when they had signature models. the "hotrodded" 2203 has become a icon of classic metal and thrash.

to me the JVM joins the 5150 and dual rectifier as icons of modern metal. the JVM should get even more credit for its technology, programmable footswitches and stuff. its the face of marshall in the metal business today along with the 2203KK.

SpacedOutAce

Reaction score
Eh, not to burst anyone's bubble, as I LOVE MARSHALL, even though I don't own one [sadface. D:] I think anything after a JCM800 isn't anything all that special. To me the epitome of high gain tones is the JCM800 and modded and hot rodded versions thereof and nothing beats the tones of a 70s Marshall on old recordings.

And btw, I can appreciate a 900/2000 modded, or even sometimes stock, but the 60s-80s are what I look at as far as Marshall tone.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) Mr. Hack, although I love Angus's and Malcolm's tone I don't know if I would describe it as the "Pinnacle". I'm sure Mr. Page, Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, and others might be in the running there somewhere....

:lol::lol: TWIN

spikei

Reaction score
I think that if you look at what they have done with the JVM eg 2 or 4 channel, 3 modes per channel, 2 master volumes, DI out, fx loop, power amp loop, Midi in/out, multi speaker connections. Most of this is programmable and then there's the normal stuff like reverb, EQ, gain & vol for each channel, presence & resonance controls, foot switch all this and the most impressive thing to me is it sounds f--k--g wicked. Has to be up there with the best :dude:

One other thing that i must mention is that this amp is not just a high gain amp yes it has that capability but it does a lot more than that, good cleans, good crunch and roll the gain down in OD orange/red and she purrs.

guitargoalie

Reaction score
I think the 4 channel jvm could turn out to be a classic, but its weird because its already like a collection of popular marshalls in one. Aside from od2, i don't think theres really a "jvm" signature sound.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 4 channel jvm could turn out to be a classic, but its weird because its already like a collection of popular marshalls in one. Aside from od2, i don't think theres really a "jvm" signature sound.

there is... the JVM is known best for OD1 orange among owners... and for a damn good reason :)

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
:) Mr. Hack, although I love Angus's and Malcolm's tone I don't know if I would describe it as the "Pinnacle". I'm sure Mr. Page, Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, and others might be in the running there somewhere....

:lol::lol: TWIN

I just meant that the Young bros. tone is one of the most sought after sounds and the benchmark for many players in regards to tone. Maybe a poor choice of words on my part.

Latest posts