Is their anything close to a Class 5???

• Thread starter shades of blue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shades of blue

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to Marshall, and I have a Class 5. I've been playing Fender amps my whole life, but when the Class 5 came out I had to try it and now there is no better tone for my Strat!

The problem is seemingly the 5 watts. Is there anything close to the Class 5 as far as clean tone goes that won't break the bank? I know the Bluesbreaker is probably the closest thing, but I don't have that kind of money.

tonefreak

Reaction score
is it not loud enough for you? or what?

i've never played one, but a lot of pro's are using Dr. Z amps.

Ken

Reaction score
A PA and a mic?

As a wild guess, I'd say try a JMP or 1970's Super Lead...but they'll cost over $1000 and you'll need a 4x12.

Ken

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Try the Haze 40 combo....Next step up...

Or a used combo...Im sure the guys will have some options for you....

shades of blue

Reaction score
is it not loud enough for you? or what?

i've never played one, but a lot of pro's are using Dr. Z amps.

Plenty loud, but would like the security of more headroom if needed. Got some gigs that are a little out of the norm coming up soon and I won't know about the PA set up until the day of the gig.

Just got me thinking about maybe getting an amp that can get me the Class 5 clean tone at louder volumes in case it is ever needed.

JayCM800

Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm curious... How loud can a Class 5 get with a 1960 cab? Can you jam with a rock band? (without micing it?)

germ_x

Reaction score
Plenty loud, but would like the security of more headroom if needed. Got some gigs that are a little out of the norm coming up soon and I won't know about the PA set up until the day of the gig.

Just got me thinking about maybe getting an amp that can get me the Class 5 clean tone at louder volumes in case it is ever needed.

Comparable at 20watts is the 2061 (or the 2061x - reissue), but the reossies will cost you about $1000 used, at least, and the originals even more. However, the tone is similar, and it's likely due to the EL84's. The 2061 is an AMAZING lower-wattage 'plexi'. Check them out. The only problem is that you'll have to have one once you play/hear it.

shades of blue

Reaction score
Comparable at 20watts is the 2061 (or the 2061x - reissue), but the reossies will cost you about $1000 used, at least, and the originals even more. However, the tone is similar, and it's likely due to the EL84's. The 2061 is an AMAZING lower-wattage 'plexi'. Check them out. The only problem is that you'll have to have one once you play/hear it.

Thanks, 20 watts would be more than adequate. I'll check it out.

Someday...yes, someday I will have a Bluesbreaker lol

Frankie

Reaction score
Sounds like you're missing clean headroom. For the cheap, get a Haze 40, the clean channel stays pretty clean if you leave the boost out, and with a good set of EL34's it'll make your Class 5 piss its pants.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
The Haze 40 is way cool but the ones I have played with just didn't have the tone that the C5 puts out. I am sure that with some sweet tubes they could get closer but the Haze always seemed a bit darker to me.

Matt has been putting together a 10 watt EL34 Class A deal that we have been following in the C5 topic. That has the potential to give up on that tone with a bit more juice.

Those 20 watt heads are awesome.

Frankie

Reaction score
The Haze 40 is bright as a fuck once you put that bright switch in. Since swapping out my tubes I don't use it anymore, it'll get downright brittle. The stock preamp tubes in the Haze suck shit.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I can't argue that. Downside of just test driving stock in the shop is you only get what comes out of the box. That is cool that you were able to get the Haze to wake up with the tube swap. :dude:

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe i'm totally off... but a DSL 201/401 combo may get you there?

Papus

Reaction score
A second Class 5 will add between 3 and 6dB of volume - certainly enough to make a difference and maybe enough to lift your guitar over the drums.
You could run one Class 5 mic'd through the PA and a second Class 5 as a personal monitor wedge - plenty of guitarists have used smaller amps as monitor wedges.

Vker

Reaction score
The new Class 5 head with dedicated 2x12 cabinet perhaps? Obviously, quite a few players here are awaiting the launch.

I have been super impressed with the few times I have demoed Haze 40 as well, and also like the Dsl combos for cleans. 20 watt Dsl could be worth a look.

Latest posts