Is This A Real El34 Amp Release From Marshall At Namm?

• Thread starter pleximaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pleximaster

Reaction score
It looks like at least two EL34 tube/valves and that would traditionally seem to be a 50 watt if it a traditional push-pull marshall amp.

Slide222 do you have any more info of these 20 watt heads.

best plexi

MarshallDog

Reaction score
It looks like at least two EL34 tube/valves and that would traditionally seem to be a 50 watt if it a traditional push-pull marshall amp.

best plexi

Pleximaster, if you find out anything more please let us know...thanks!

Buzzard

Reaction score
I can see it now marshall dosen't come out with what everyone want's,and I picture a ship going down with rats scurrying and running for safety lol. Not at all comparing dissatisfied marshall lovers as rats but curious what builders/companies will guy's go to for what they want?

colchar

Reaction score
I can see it now marshall dosen't come out with what everyone want's,and I picture a ship going down with rats scurrying and running for safety lol. Not at all comparing dissatisfied marshall lovers as rats but curious what builders/companies will guy's go to for what they want?

They will still buy Marshalls, just older ones.

RLW59

Reaction score

best plexi

There are lots of ways to run tubes at lower power. Look at Fender's Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb -- both have two 6V6's push/pull Class AB fixed bias pentode operation, but one is 12 watts and the other is 20.

Just lowering plate voltage can drop a pair of EL34's down to 20 watts.

Besides being a little more club/home friendly, a 20 watt dual EL34 amp should be lower priced because it can use smaller power & output transformers.

It's rare to see EL34's or 6L6's in the 20 watt range because those tubes are more expensive than EL84's and 6V6's. And it's arguable whether big tubes run at lower voltages sound the same as they do at higher voltages.

But there are a lot of consumers who want big bottles in a lower watt format. The clamor for maximum watts per dollar ended a long time ago, so a 20 watt EL34 amp makes sense now.

neikeel

Reaction score
20w and x2 EL34s probably has them in cathode bias. They can sound pretty good like that.
I would be interested to what novel features they incorporate.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The 2525 runs two EL34s in push pull at 20 watts. The plate voltage is about 280 volts if I recall correctly. They sound and respond pretty much the same as at 460 volts and 50 watts.

The Soldano Mini SLO runs two 5881s at about 325 volts.

The 2525 and the 25 watt Soldano destroy similar 20 watt amps running 6V6s or EL84s in my experience.

BanditPanda

Reaction score

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Don't forget the SL5 has a single EL34 for power.

PU239

Reaction score
For years Marshall has had requests for a low watt plexi.

I am familiar with a prototype they have had for almost four years now that is a modern take on the 2061x.

Paul Gilbert can be seen with it in a couple of videos, the video just shows the chassis, not in a head box. Paul loved the amp.

Not sure if Marshall finally decided to bring it into production, but that would make the most sense.

There was also a 1 watt prototype that had been made and shelved.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
The Bogner Alchemist has a 20 watt mode with two 5881s/6L6 they call the brown sound. looking at the Schematics The mess with the voltage from the power supply to get 20 watts.

Holzar88

Reaction score
FWIW, I've got an Alchemist, and the difference between 40-watt mode and 20-watt mode is pretty negligible. A bit less volume, but, really, not that much.

Not that it matters. Just thought I'd chime in on that issue.

Looking forward to seeing what's cooking with this new release.