JCM 2000 - Whats Speakers Do You Use?

• Thread starter paul-e-mann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Alot of people have mentioned the cab makes a difference. Right now I have a home made 1x12 that's 20x18x12 and a 2x12 that's 26x18x12 (both were sized to fit previous amp heads and are closed back). The best sounding cab I have is the 2x12 with greenbacks. Also alot of people have mentioned V30's, since I have a single V30 I think for a start I will build a bigger cab for it like 29.5x20x12 (1936 dimension) and see if it brings more tone out of it. I spoke to Celestion a while back about what the optimal cab size is for the various speakers and configurations I had and they wouldnt say.

BluesDisciple

Reaction score
I yanked the Chinese Celestion G12's out of my 1960 cabinet and replaced them with Great Plains Audio 17's. And I love it!!! Great cleans, and even better OD's coming out, where I am in control of the level of distortion through the speaker, not the speaker being in control. Worth the cost and worth the trouble of re-wiring to handle the push-button connections. Highly recommend them.

Bieling3

Reaction score
This is with a JCM 2000 TSl, which is voiced slightly different than a DSL but, anyways IMHO:

G12-65s: are the best offering from Celestion, hands down. Balanced, not flubby, sweet mids.

Vintage 30s: are a bit flubby, the TSL's got midrange for days so they really are overkill.

T-75s: Harsh and unusable... and this is through a jcm 800 series 1960 that was well broke in. Ice pick highs, grainy mids and a domineering bottom end (something I like in a women, not a speaker) all the stereotypical stuff you hear about this speaker anywhere on any forum.​

...damn near as good as the 65s, and far and away better than the other two were whatever comes in a 25 year old Carvin model v412t, I think they're called Carvin "British Series" BR12s. I'd also like to try some Lead 80s or G12-85s and see how they are.

Last edited:

Landshark

Reaction score
This is with a JCM 2000 TSl, which is voiced slightly different than a DSL but, anyways IMHO:

G12-65s: are the best offering from Celestion, hands down. Balanced, not flubby, sweet mids.

Vintage 30s: are a bit flubby, the TSL's got midrange for days so they really are overkill.

T-75s: Harsh and unusable... and this is through a jcm 800 series 1960 that was well broke in. Ice pick highs, grainy mids and a domineering bottom end (something I like in a women, not a speaker) all the stereotypical stuff you hear about this speaker anywhere on any forum.​

...damn near as good as the 65s, and far and away better than the other two were whatever comes in a 25 year old Carvin model v412t, I think they're called Carvin "British Series" BR12s. I'd also like to try some Lead 80s or G12-85s and see how they are.

This^^, except I have the much cheaper WGS ET-65s. I can tell the OP I've played a DSL with V30s, and I played a DSL with WGS ET-65s... The 65s win. They have a midrange much like the greenbacks, but higher wattage, tighter low end, and a quicker attack.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
This^^, except I have the much cheaper WGS ET-65s. I can tell the OP I've played a DSL with V30s, and I played a DSL with WGS ET-65s... The 65s win. They have a midrange much like the greenbacks, but higher wattage, tighter low end, and a quicker attack.

I listened to the sound clips on the WGS site and the ET-65 sounds pretty good! I think I might pickup a used Celestion G12-65 and try that (seen them for $50-70 on ebay). Also the WGS site said the best speaker combination they recommend is the ET-65 with the Veteran 30 (their version of the Celestion V30). Since I already have a V30 I can try that with the G12-65 for another sound variation.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Update on this thread. I built the 1936 birch cab which really brought out the low end and a bigger sound than my other cabs. I played with greenbacks in it which sounded great, then a V30 with a G12-65 got tired of that combination fairly quick it just didnt sound right to me, tried the greenback with both the V30 and the 65 but didnt blow me away, and have now settled on a pair of G12T-75's which have such a great neutral tone and just sounds really good to me with a DSL. Been playing these for about 5 months now and havent gotten tired of them. These speakers with the combination of KT-77 tubes is a really good match and play off each other well. I just finished playing at low volume for an hour or so and switching between channels and using various OD pedals I could get anything from rock to hard rock to modern rock to metal everything I like to play and tonez for days! :thumb:

I'm thinking about building another 1936 cab but use pine just to see what the sound difference is. Plan on putting the greenbacks in that one.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Love Eminence Redcoat Governors, but at the moment my 1936 has the stock 75's which are fine for now. :)

Im just really happy with the 75's! Most everybody tries to ditch them for some reason so I steared clear of them for the longest time until I tried them in a a store which got me wondering about them.

Ken

Reaction score
I have G12H-80's and have used a G12T-75 cab lots of times as well. The 80's have a real sense of midrange to them, while I have to really crank the amp with the 75's. The fact they're 3 dB less and lack the mids means I can really crank my DSL 50, and it sounds awesome for rock/metal. But if I owned one I'd want a 100 watt amp.

I do prefer the 80's; they're loud and have bass mid and treble all at once.

Ken

DonP

Reaction score
I still like my very neutral stock 75's best. Brand new they may not be the sweetest thing around but broken in they just have a very "straight up" tone that showcases the amp. It suits the versatility of the DSL well.

This.

As my 1960A aged, the DSL100 got better and better sounding.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I use depending on venue...and they all sound good...just different EQ required.

1/. A 1922 with two re-coned 8 ohm G12H 30's in series + a 1 x 12 t'other side of the stage with another (16 ohm) G12H 30 in it. This set up only gives me 90 watts of handling but I use it in smaller venues and never put anything like that out.

2/. My 425A with 4 G12C 25's in it....my fave cab but hate lugging it around. Use it for venues with easy access for wheeled cabs....sometimes with the 1 or 2 X 12 for spread.

3/. My 1960B for bigger venues where the sound is pretty dead and soaks up all the mids and treble. This has 2 x V30's and 2 x G12T 75's in an X pattern.

4/. The 425A on top of the 1960B for outdoor stuff or any where I need to be LOUD. :shred2::uk: